Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, she must have been smokin' hot for a crowd like that to turn out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    They should have handled it like South Africa does. Automatic weapons.
    Yea!! Or nuclear bombs!!!! wait.... What?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Deadly force has a very poor history when used to deal with rioters. It might disperse people temporarily, but it ends up creating an entirely different and worse problem.
    This is very true. In fact, some of my friends were at a student demonstration (which was peaceful, atleast I know my friends will have been), that got ended by the riot police. Nothing near as bad as here happened, but their experience with the riot police is that those were using too much force/too little patience*. Which only adds fuel to the fire. Or could even ignite one in some situations.

I'm not saying this event would've been peaceful if not for the riot police. I AM saying that the current riot police isn't the best solution to riots. Perhaps the party at the football field would've been a better, pre-emptive solution. Have the riot police over there, but working as security personnel instead of riot police.

*I hear this from more people whose judgment I trust. Not had the experience myself. Moderate force can be an answer, but if someone is too drunk to stand on their feet, you don't go kicking them because they don't leave a street fast enough, as I've seen in one of the vids about this incident.

Deleted
    Dumb fucks like these should be perforated.

GUHZELLIg

Quote Originally Posted by lvlark View Post
    This is very true. In fact, some of my friends were at a student demonstration (which was peaceful, atleast I know my friends will have been), that got ended by the riot police. Nothing near as bad as here happened, but their experience with the riot police is that those were using too much force/too little patience*. Which only adds fuel to the fire. Or could even ignite one in some situations.
    True in some ways, but patience is not infinite. How many times can you be ignored while trying to restore order? It's like a friend of mine who has a temper and his solution is to not piss him off. So basically... you get your way?

But either way, there's no perfect solution.

I'm not saying this event would've been peaceful if not for the riot police. I AM saying that the current riot police isn't the best solution to riots. Perhaps the party at the football field would've been a better, pre-emptive solution. Have the riot police over there, but working as security personnel instead of riot police.
    Water cannons, pepper spray, tear gas/ smoke, these things are far from perfect, but are generally better than the other methods used. (Actual force, of a gun or club or such.) The sonic thingees are an idea, but I'm sure folks would have issues with it too depending on effects.

*I hear this from more people whose judgment I trust. Not had the experience myself. Moderate force can be an answer, but if someone is too drunk to stand on their feet, you don't go kicking them because they don't leave a street fast enough, as I've seen in one of the vids about this incident.
    First I was thinking of a big claw, like in the stuffed animal games, to just grab folks out of crowds and drop them in cages, but that's of course just silly. The idea then led to poke-balls to capture folks, which obviously doesn't work.

Optimally you need a way to safely immobilize and transport the rioters, but again someone would probably be allergic to Jedi Force Lift Guns and sue.

(I remember a story years ago about someone in Boston I think, that was killed by one of the pepperballs, took a hit to the wrong spot.)

Anyway, this could probably have been more efficiently headed off from the start. They knew where folks were heading, and isolating them and dispersing them before they formed a party would have been a better solution, in theory.

Deleted
    First thing i thought was: Oh cool, Project X irl!
    Then i read the text, saw the pictures and watched the videos, this really sucks :O
    Poor girl that tried to put something together with her friends and this happend..
    Why cant people have fun without other people destroying everything? :S

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Deadly force has a very poor history when used to deal with rioters. It might disperse people temporarily, but it ends up creating an entirely different and worse problem.
    China begs to differ
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananm...otests_of_1989

Just drive over them with assault vehicles (not talking about the famous tank picture even though that person never showed up again neither).

15+ Year Old Account
    Now that is funny.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.