Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a professional when it comes to nutrition but isn't it mostly just the grease that is unhealthy? I buy lean beef and squeeze as much grease out as possible.

Edit: The video posted above me was awesome. ^
    Last edited by MrKnubbles; 2012-09-22 at 12:35 AM.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

A hamburger made at home would be better than the greasy, fatty, processed "meat" at a fast-food place. And there are tons of calories in them too.

Depends where it comes from and what's on it. That's the case with everything though...just because it's a salad doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy.

Deleted
    Well if a hamburger is pure meat no, but often enough they put so much crap in it.
    Also the patty's and sauce are where the most unhealthyness is coming from

It really depends honestly. There are a few ways a hamburger can be made. A normal hamburger made off the grill isn't really bad for you, But a hamburger from a fast food place like mcdonalds is pretty bad all around.

It also depends on what you put on the Hamburger.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2012-09-22 at 12:35 AM.

"My wife keeps wanting me to eat more salads. Says I'll live longer. I figure...whatever."
    "Just means you'll have to eat more salads, right?"
    "Exactly."

Deleted
    home made hamburger, made from good quality meat, herbs, and onions are fantastic. They are also loads more healthy for you than a fast food Hamburger which are usually made from off whats left over after a carcase has been stripped of the better parts, and overloaded with salt and MSG.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/

This guy went on a 2000 calorie a day fastfood diet for a month and lost weight, improved his blood sugar, blood pressure, triglyceride, and pretty much everything else. There's nothing wrong with fastfood when not eaten too excess. Don't believe the hype.
    A whopper with cheese is almost 800 kc. So whatever his meal plan was, it didn't rely on those!

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    And this goes for EVERYTHING in life. There's also a bias against fast food:
    Pretty funny how different the opinions are.

yeah... it's funny how many people can be fooled. It's the same as saying just because something costs more it MUST be better. Some people just can't use their brain I guess.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2012-09-22 at 12:42 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. It's bread, meat, lettuce, some spices. Now if you decide to deep fry the whole thing in oil fat, throw in some bunch o' maionese and other sauces with loads of fat, then yes.. it's unhealthy. A burger usually has 230-450 calories which isn't too much. Considering that's what you get from 50g chocolate. While here you get a burger around 220-260g. It really depends again, what you throw in your burger. But if it's all cool, it's all cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    News flash. They've done the research. There is no benefit to "organic" food. You don't get more nutrients. They aren't 'healthier'. They're just more expensive. It really surprises me how many people out there think that just because food comes from a fast food joint that it automatically means that it is "unhealthy". That's total bullcrap. Those guys have the whole food handling process down to a science. They are scrupulously clean, and their food scientists (they employ REAL ones as opposed to organic hippies) make sure they're as good or better than anything you could make at home. It's total foolishness to assume that Fast Food ingredients are "unhealthy".
    Organic a lot of times actually does mean more nutrients (same calories, but more vitamins/minerals), and it also means no pesticides/hormones/etc, plus the animals are fed food that they're meant to eat, and not mass processed shit (grass fed cows). And since fast food ingredients are always the cheapest possible food--meaning it's not organic and most definitely processed with hormones--unless you go to someplace like Chipotle where they specifically say they use organic ingredients.

The question was are hamburgers unhealthy, and fast food restaurants use unhealthy ingredients. When it comes to calories (fat/carbs/protein), they're no worse than anything else of equal ingredients, and I even said that in my first post.

15+ Year Old Account
    A whopper in aus is just under 5k kilojoules iirc. Thats over half the recommended intake for an adult per day. Combine that with a large fries which is around 2k and yeah, healthy is not a word to be put anywhere near fast food.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Yes, they are.
    /End of thread.
    Wrong, they're not. Please next time explain why they are. You really generalize burgers, thinkin' that a burger is mc donalds, but no it's not. People do make their own burgers. Yes they can be healthy depending on choice, if you throw in alot of sauces that include mayo well expect it to be unhealthy. Mayo has around 800-850 calories each 100g. But the meat itself lies around 200-270 ish,depending on what kind.

I don't get fat so I can't speak for that, but pizza is certainly heavier, greasier and unhealthier than a hamburger.

10+ Year Old Account
    A quarter pounder with cheese has 520 calories in it. The average adult male could eat 3 of those a day and lose weight. The problem with fast food is the giant servings of empty starches and sodas. The entrees are fine.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    Yes they are unhealthy for you. They may be not as unhealthy as those others (this depends on what you put on the burger), but they are still unhealthy.
    So a piece of bread, some meat, small portion of butter , some letuce and topped with half a layer of cheese and spiced some with different spices makes it unhealthy? Then what is healthy? Mate, stop talking crap.

A homemade burger or one from a local diner/restaurant made from fresh seasoned meat is pretty damn awesome.

Of course, like anything that has a lot of fat and grease in it you have to eat in moderation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    A whopper with cheese is almost 800 kc. So whatever his meal plan was, it didn't rely on those!
    Lets see, you can eat two of those a day and then eat something with 400 calories and voila, 2000 calories. Come on now.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

I remember reading an article celebrating the oldest living man in New York state. They asked what his secret was and he said he had no routine or specifics. The only constant he could think of was bacon cooked with lard almost every morning and a bottle of wine per week.

Another anecdote I like:
    When asked what his doctor thought of him drinking scotch and smoking so many cigars, George Burns replied "My doctor is dead."

I'm not going to claim hamburgers are a health food, but I think Lewis Black nailed it when he said the only thing we know about nutrition is whatever's healthy for you might kill the person sitting next to you.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    A quarter pounder with cheese has 520 calories in it. The average adult male could eat 3 of those a day and lose weight. The problem with fast food is the giant servings of empty starches and sodas. The entrees are fine.
    You're a bit wrong with that, but again depends in the definiton adult. The average adult can consume around 2000 calories meaning 4 quarter pounders. +/-. But yeah, the burger part isn't that unhealthy even from fast food, but the fries and soda makes it extremely unhealth. Considering a coke alone is around 330ml - 500 ml = 52c each 100ml = 170 calories - 260 calories + burger 520 calories and some fries that have roughly the same as the burger if not more = 260 + 520 + 520 = 1040 + 260 = 1300 calories from that meal.