Thread: Upgrade help

10+ Year Old Account

Upgrade help

Hello folks,

Recently my NVIDIA G-Force 9800 GT has been crashing pretty much every time I open a video; so I feel its time I need to do some upgrading. I have enough RAM and other things, however; my processor is pretty dated (Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz). All that being said, this is my question:

If I upgrade my graphics card to a G-Force GTX 650 and my processor to a Intel i7, will they fit in the motherboard I currently have? Or will I need to upgrade that as well?
    Time is the greatest teacher, but unfortunately, it ends up killing all of its students.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearlyConfused View Post
    Hello folks,

Recently my NVIDIA G-Force 9800 GT has been crashing pretty much every time I open a video; so I feel its time I need to do some upgrading. I have enough RAM and other things, however; my processor is pretty dated (Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz). All that being said, this is my question:
    If I upgrade my graphics card to a G-Force GTX 650 and my processor to a Intel i7, will they fit in the motherboard I currently have? Or will I need to upgrade that as well?
    Well first off most of the time the i7 is a over kill for gaming and general computer use.
    I would go for a i5 2500k and a 660 / 660ti

And no the CPU won't fit as your current one is using a LGA 775 socket and the i7 / i5 uses the 1155 socket
    The GFX card will prob fit i need more info but your motherboard should have a PCI-E 16x slot.

And i would also recommend having a branded power supply witch is 80+ bronze certified.
    Around 550-600W from ether Corsair, Seasonic or Cooler Master.

And keep in mind you might need to swap out your ram as well if your changing motherboard depending on how old it is.
    You could still be running on DDR2 Ram witch won't fit in today's motherboards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything inside your case will need upgrading, Pentium + 9800GT = gone are the days :P
    So that includes mobo, RAM, CPU, GPU and PSU if your current one isn't up to the task (or some no-name brand).

As for power requirements, for an i5 + GTX650 you really don't need anything more than a quality 400-500w PSU from Corsair/Seasonic/Antec/XFX. 550-600w if you're looking to keep it around for a while and upgrade to a far more power-hungry GPU later on.

But I wouldn't recommend a GTX650 at for the prices it's usually being offered at, in that range an AMD card would be far more preferable.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze