The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Pros/Cons of Moving from NCAA Head Coach to NFL

I am a huge college football fan. My team's head coach, when successful, is considered a god in our city. Very popular, makes a $4-5MM a year in salary (not including the insane benefits). The current coach is still relatively young and has a long career ahead of him.

So what are the benefits of moving to the NFL? I know it's "professional" vs college, but are the pay scales for coaches that much larger? Are the perks that much better? It would seem to me that the hassles of pro football players and all the other crap wouldn't be worth it. I know that college players offer their own hassles, but if I had to choose, I would definitely stay at the large college rather than move to a professional team.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I am a huge college football fan. My team's head coach, when successful, is considered a god in our city. Very popular, makes a $4-5MM a year in salary (not including the insane benefits). The current coach is still relatively young and has a long career ahead of him.

So what are the benefits of moving to the NFL? I know it's "professional" vs college, but are the pay scales for coaches that much larger? Are the perks that much better? It would seem to me that the hassles of pro football players and all the other crap wouldn't be worth it. I know that college players offer their own hassles, but if I had to choose, I would definitely stay at the large college rather than move to a professional team.
    Go ask Nick Saban if it's worth it to transition to the pros from a successful college program.

I can think of many benefits and negatives to it. Benefits would include salary (depends on program), prestige of the super bowl, less restrictions ala NCAA. Negatives would include dealing with grown men, possibly as old as you are, coaching guys who are paid more than you, more cutthroat expectations of owners and more public spotlight

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see a pro to it. Either you're suited for it or you're not, and you may earn more money, but you won't last. Completely different play styles in either. Especially nowadays when so many college schools play a spread option. Coaches don't get used to the hard-nosed, beat the hell out of you, style of the NFL. Some coaches just aren't tuned for it, and that's ok, as long as they realize it. Pete Carroll seems to be doing ok at Seattle, and Harbaugh at San Francisco.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Go ask Nick Saban if it's worth it to transition to the pros from a successful college program.

I can think of many benefits and negatives to it. Benefits would include salary (depends on program), prestige of the super bowl, less restrictions ala NCAA. Negatives would include dealing with grown men, possibly as old as you are, coaching guys who are paid more than you, more cutthroat expectations of owners and more public spotlight
    What are the current head coach salaries in the NFL? I know that SEC and Pac-12 coaches of successful teams are getting upwards of $5mm/yr, plus all the perks of working for a University system.

---------- Post added 2012-09-22 at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I don't really see a pro to it. Either you're suited for it or you're not, and you may earn more money, but you won't last. Completely different play styles in either.
    See, this is exactly how I feel. If I was a highly successful head coach of a major college team, I would never consider moving unless I wasn't happy with where I was living. Otherwise - what's not to love? Great pay, insane perks - everyone loves you (for the most part, of course).

In college the game the coach is a lot more about recruiting players and motivating players to do the right thing off the field and playing well on the field. In the NFL it is more about coach on coach chess matches since players are signed and motivated with money combined with talent being more even because of things like the salary cap and the fact that their is simply a whole lot less NFL spots available compared to the college ranks.

Most great teams in college simply out talent the other team because they get a lot more blue chip players while the teams they go up against get a whole lot less. Most college teams only have 3-4 games a year where they play teams of equal speed, skill, and talent. In the NFL everyone is pretty much a blue chip with the added benefit of mega super stars that rise even above that. It isn't to often that another NFL team can out run, skill, and talent the other team. Sure individual cases stand out but a whole team on a whole team is usually not likely unless they are poorly owned or coached.

So what are the benefits. I think it all depends on the person. Some people are good recruiters and motivators but couldn't coach themselves out of a paper bag in the NFL where the talent is a whole lot more even. Some people are excellent at the x's and o's and can win super bowls but wouldn't have a chance in college because they suck with people. So in reality it is more about who you are that makes you great in one or the other and sometimes people don't know who they are until they try both out. Money is also a factor. While yes at the MEGA colleges you can make more in some cases most colleges are not like that. Maybe 10-20 schools across the nation are like that. While in the NFL almost all of them make about the same amount if not more then those mega football schools.

At least that is how I look at it.

What are the current head coach salaries in the NFL? I know that SEC and Pac-12 coaches of successful teams are getting upwards of $5mm/yr, plus all the perks of working for a University system.

http://www.forbes.com/2011/01/04/pat...d-coaches.html
    I would say top NFL salaries are higher than most D1 coaches with the Kellys and Gundys and Sabans being the exceptions. I could see the NFL being a lucrative or attractive option for someone at a smaller program or a up-and-coming like Arizona seems to be this year but you have to be able to play NFL ball to have any job security.
    Last edited by Projali; 2012-09-22 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow I didn't know Pete Carroll was paid that much.

But I assume it was kinda a knee jerk reaction to how bad Jim Morra was.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can avoid the incoming sanctions against your program for all the violators under your tenure and go to the NFL and go 7-9 every year

to answer the question in a way that isn't just mocking Pete Carroll, its a very different job, NCAA programs entail a lot more responsibility and recruitment than the NFL does

I know the college coaches have a greater tendency to get burned out or have health problems as a result of all the external stressors and responsibilities, in addition to the expectations of winning every game, or coming close to it despite constant roster turnover, their job just seems so much more demanding than the NFL. In order to make the kind of money that NFL coaches do you have to put together a remarkable string of success without having an Urban Meyer breakdown or getting caught in scandal, one mistake and you're out on your ass, but Rex Ryan can screw up for years and still have a job.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I know the college coaches have a greater tendency to get burned out or have health problems as a result of all the external stressors and responsibilities, in addition to the expectations of winning every game, or coming close to it despite constant roster turnover, their job just seems so much more demanding than the NFL. In order to make the kind of money that NFL coaches do you have to put together a remarkable string of success without having an Urban Meyer breakdown or getting caught in scandal, one mistake and you're out on your ass, but Rex Ryan can screw up for years and still have a job.
    That's a pretty interesting perspective, one that I hadn't thought about. I think in my brain I've got NCAA coaching lauding about the city enjoying the limelight while NFL coaches have to deal with HUGE player egos and people that just care about the bottom $$$. I know the reality is much different, of course, but I don't think I'd heard it "outloud" like that before.

In my perspective I think I was comparing, say, the top 40 NCAA team coaches (PAC-12, SEC, BIG 10 and a few independents) with the NFL - obviously the smaller schools, regardless of success, can't compete with pay compared to the NFL. Although the perks might be out of this world crazy-good . . . .

Also, I am heavily biased in favor of the NCAA - I look at the NFL as a bunch of selfish children just after more money each year, not caring where or who they play for. I know that's not accurate, but I can't help it regardless.

The perks are better, the pay is much better except for a few of the very top college coaches. The main downside is you can be fired for any reason at any second by a single person at their whim. Lose 3 straight? Look for a new job. Yeah they have to pay out your contract but there are a limited number of head coaching jobs at the pro level.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?