Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

I Have become addicted to washing my hands.

And its getting worse lately, I never used to have any form of OCD about anything, I was pretty much just normal (I use the term normal lightly here)

Recently I've started washing my hands 10 - 20 times a day, if I pass the sink, I have to wash my hands, I know how stupid it is when I'm doing it, sometimes I will have only washed them about 15 minutes ago but its an overpowering urge and I can't stop myself. Its becoming a bit weird and worrying now, I seem to be completely unable to stop myself from doing it, often I do it without realising its happening.

The question I want to ask is, has anybody else developed an OCD from nowhere?

How can I stop it?

If you are concerned, which it sounds like you are, call and speak with your doctor or make an appointment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    And its getting worse lately, I never used to have any form of OCD about anything, I was pretty much just normal (I use the term normal lightly here)

Recently I've started washing my hands 10 - 20 times a day, if I pass the sink, I have to wash my hands, I know how stupid it is when I'm doing it, sometimes I will have only washed them about 15 minutes ago but its an overpowering urge and I can't stop myself. Its becoming a bit weird and worrying now, I seem to be completely unable to stop myself from doing it, often I do it without realising its happening.

How can I stop it?
    To your first question, no, I have not developed a habit like this out of no where. My wife, however, has a nut allergy. She has developed a habit of using hand sanitizer before she eats out of worry and anxiety that there are traces on her hands from touching random things throughout the day. It's somewhat obsessive compulsive.

To your second question. Ask a professional, or search a reputable website.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, I understand you completely, I suffer from the same kind of OCD myself and I too wash my hands and arms several times a day for the smallest reason.

I've gotten to understand that it takes triggers to set me off, I mean the usual stuff likeif I handle food, open a door someone else has, picked up my cat or shaken someones hand, I need to get to a sink. Even if I smell something bad in the air I need to wash hands and face.

Well I maintain my ocd well enough now (when I was in school is was so bad I would wash my hands in bath soap without washing it off with water, and check multiple times to see if my bedroom curtain was closed), if I'm in the company of someone I dislike, like a boss, my aunts obnoxious adopted kid, my condesending uncle, then it triggers it off and I just need to get away from them to feel 'clean'.

Also, painfully as this is to admit it, my father, who was a raging alcoholic, who stunk of booze all day every day, making the house smell of his foul breath, I use to be afraid of leaving my room just from the smell he left around the house, causing me to run to the bathroom and wash. Recently, my father died several weeks ago, and after this, I feel more calmer in my own home and less inclined to wash myself every time I wander around the house.

So, i understand what your going though. You should ask yourself, what do you think triggers your OCD and tells you to do it?
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Dude, I understand you completely, I suffer from the same kind of OCD myself and I too wash my hands and arms several times a day for the smallest reason.

I've gotten to understand that it takes triggers to set me off, I mean the usual stuff likeif I handle food, open a door someone else has, picked up my cat or shaken someones hand, I need to get to a sink. Even if I smell something bad in the air I need to wash hands and face.

Well I maintain my ocd well enough now (when I was in school is was so bad I would wash my hands in bath soap without washing it off with water, and check multiple times to see if my bedroom curtain was closed), if I'm in the company of someone I dislike, like a boss, my aunts obnoxious adopted kid, my condesending uncle, then it triggers it off and I just need to get away from them to feel 'clean'.

Also, painfully as this is to admit it, my father, who was a raging alcoholic, who stunk of booze all day every day, making the house smell of his foul breath, I use to be afraid of leaving my room just from the smell he left around the house, causing me to run to the bathroom and wash. Recently, my father died several weeks ago, and after this, I feel more calmer in my own home and less inclined to wash myself every time I wander around the house.

So, i understand what your going though. You should ask yourself, what do you think triggers your OCD and tells you to do it?
    Nice to see I'm not the only one. I'm not entirely sure what triggers it, it seems to have come from nowehre over the past year, sometimes I will be sitting at the computer and completely out of nowhere I feel like I absolutely have to wash my hands, so I do. Also it has become impossible to pass the sink without washing my hands. I'm thinking of talking to a proffesional to try and figure out what has caused it. I'm sorry to hear about your father btw

Being aware of the problem is the first step to fixing it.

That being said: Just FORCE yourself to stop.

I know how hard it is to stop doing something you seem to have no control over... I do suffer from RLS, and find myself forcibly stopping the leg-tapping and finger-flexing whenever I notice.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could help you dude. I won't ask you to give anything personal away, but is there something in your life thats changed recently in a big way? I always found stressed related from anxiety brought on the worst ocd attacks I've had. Obviously you don't have to tell me, but if you think there is something, better to see if it related to this change.

---------- Post added 2012-09-22 at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    Being aware of the problem is the first step to fixing it.

That being said: Just FORCE yourself to stop.

I know how hard it is to stop doing something you seem to have no control over... I do suffer from RLS, and find myself forcibly stopping the leg-tapping and finger-flexing whenever I notice.
    Dude, unless your someone who lives with OCD, its is not that simple. I'm sorry to hear of your own with living with RLS, but then you should understand its not something you can turn off. For people with ocd, its something in the back of your mind telling you to do something, and it won't stop until its done.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2012-09-22 at 08:39 PM.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    you should get help fast, before it becomes worse and you make yourself nuts

15+ Year Old Account
    Try and keep yourself distracted. If the OCD starts showing in other every-day tasks, you should go get some help.

I have a light case of OCD and doing things in even numbers. I don't HAVE to, but if I don't I notice it when somebody wouldn't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    It could help you dude. I won't ask you to give anything personal away, but is there something in your life thats changed recently in a big way? I always found stressed related from anxiety brought on the worst ocd attacks I've had. Obviously you don't have to tell me, but if you think there is something, better to see if it related to this change.

---------- Post added 2012-09-22 at 09:38 PM ----------

Dude, unless your someone who lives with OCD, its is not that simple.
    Well I suppose breaking up with my ex just over a year ago was the most recent "big thing" that happened to me, I never really thought of it like that before, for some reason I just didnt think breaking up with ex = washing my hands alot

Although you may be onto something, worth thinking about, thanks

Before/after bathroom and before eating. Unless you're working with stuff that can cause issues like in a chemicals/lab/hospital or with children/animals (or stuff you can obviously see on your hands). Beyond that, I sometimes wonder how dirty my hands are but in general I'm they're clean enough to not cause problems. People have to reason or they'd do more than just wash their hands too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I suppose breaking up with my ex just over a year ago was the most recent "big thing" that happened to me, I never really thought of it like that before, for some reason I just didnt think breaking up with ex = washing my hands alot

Although you may be onto something, worth thinking about, thanks
    I hope it helps. If it gets any worse, indeed, speak with your doctor if it gives you peace of mind, but as someone who had it really bad when he was younger, I can tell you it can be maintained and if you can find the trigger, it helps a lot. Good luck dude.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account

How can I stop it?
    Yes, actually. In fact, my OCD crept up on me in a similar fashion. As a kid I never really had any issues with it, but during my final year of high school and early college years, I started to suffer from scrupulosity (here's the link, I don't know how to make a word into a link) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrupulosity. Everything became a right or wrong decision and it was literally strangling my life. I had similar germ issues where I would wash like that, but it was all about not getting someone else sick, because that would be wrong. To be honest, OCD is not a hurdle I ever actually jumped over; about 3 years later I left Christianity and about 90% of my OCD just vanished. I did not have any success with my OCD until it simply left. The one thing I do know about OCD is that the more you engage in the compulsions, the stronger the obsessions get. There is no way to break OCD other than decide to put up with the discomfort of not engaging in the things your mind is telling you to engage in. Over time the obsessions will weaken and you won't feel the need. In your case, the only way to stop washing your hands...is to stop washing your hands. There are programs that can help you learn to conquer OCD, but I did not have any particular success with them.

I've had this same problem for years, it's normal to me... Well at least it is now. Tbh it's not something to worry about, having clean hands is a great thing.

o/ compulsive hand washer here checking in ^.^ to be honest its never bothered me though, although i once washed my hands so much i made them sore over a few weeks. I think it comes from my mother, she used to wash her hands loads n had me doing the same when i was younger.

edit: come to think about it she did loads of stupid shit as well as that O.o counting the plug sockets in the kitchen to make sure they were all off before bed and if someone interupted she'd start again... it was a big kitchen. On the bright side we didnt need a smoke alarm

15+ Year Old Account
    Washing your hands is a somewhat common ocd. Though in some excessive cases it can get very bad, this one person I read about rubbed their hands raw. The health risk is not 100% for the best, you can be too clean, you need to give your body something to exercise your immune system.

Maybe you could try to avoid this by just not going by a sink, only do it when your in the bathroom, go out of your kind of.

For me, I wash my feet 2-3 times a day if I am walking in my house barefooted. So I kinda know what you are coming from. Also, I make sounds with my toes when I am bored. And I hate the sound of analog ticking clocks...it drives me insane.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Personally i dont see the problem here. i do see a problem with the people who think you should see a doctor though.
    be clean my friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Physicx View Post
    Personally i dont see the problem here. i do see a problem with the people who think you should see a doctor though.
    be clean my friend.
    Having OCD where your washing your hands so often a day they go red and sore (sometimes even bleeding) is a problem. Believe me I know that. If someone can control it themselves its good, but asking for help doesn't make it a bad thing either.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account

How can I stop it?
    Me personally, I did start that kind of behavior but only after we got our dog. I'll pet the dog and play with the dog but when I'm done I absolutely HAVE to wash my hands. If I don't then I just feel gross. She's not even a dirty dog. She doesn't eat poop or lick pee when she messes in the crate sometimes. I just feel a severe need to wash my hands. If you feel that your situation is getting out of control then absolutely speak with a doctor or someone that deals with disorders (it's unfortunate that it's considered as such, but that's just the way it is).

Just remember that you are not a freak. A lot of this stuff is mental and with work it can be overcome. I've got your back

10+ Year Old Account
    I am really curious about this OP because my brother has the same problem. I literally hate him many times for it. When he comes over, he will be in the bathroom for long periods of times washing his hands. Sometimes I joke with him and ask him if he is washing dishes again. Soap will build up in the sink a foot high, and water will be all over the counter top. Furthermore, I refuse to stop if I am driving him somewhere because I know he will be in the bathroom for too long. His hands are always red as if he is literally washing the skin off his hands.

Personally, I don't mind that he has this problem, but it becomes a real problem when he is over for everyone else since he will hog the bathroom for the entire time. I will need to put on a tie or something and get water all over me from the counter top, or I am just sick and tired of cleaning up all the water after he is in the bathroom. I don't know how to talk to him about it. I tried but he ignores the issue as if there is no problem.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-09-22 at 09:05 PM.