Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aye dude, see, your not alone in it ^^
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    I have started washing my hands a lot more lately, I hope it's nothing serious, lol.

Don't worry... I wash my hands atleast 3 times per hour! (When not studying of cource)
    Last edited by ~Valen~; 2012-09-22 at 09:13 PM.

I tend to wash my hands after being outside, touching the cat, sneezing - anything like that. I always wash with soap too.

Problem is it dries out my hands, so I need to use hand cream daily. It's not too bad though. I think I'm more of a clean freak than anything

15+ Year Old Account
    Also, washing your hands to much can make your hands dry.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I am really curious about this OP because my brother has the same problem. I literally hate him many times for it. When he comes over, he will be in the bathroom for long periods of times washing his hands. Sometimes I joke with him and ask him if he is washing dishes again. Soap will build up in the sink a foot high, and water will be all over the counter top. Furthermore, I refuse to stop if I am driving him somewhere because I know he will be in the bathroom for too long. His hands are always red as if he is literally washing the skin off his hands.

Personally, I don't mind that he has this problem, but it becomes a real problem when he is over for everyone else since he will hog the bathroom for the entire time. I will need to put on a tie or something and get water all over me from the counter top, or I am just sick and tired of cleaning up all the water after he is in the bathroom. I don't know how to talk to him about it. I tried but he ignores the issue as if there is no problem.
    In all honesty, it does sound like your brother has some obsessive compulsive tendencies. How have you historically approached him about it? I could be wrong but it sounds like sometimes your anger might be apparent when you bring it up. OCD makes you feel like you're going crazy, so I'm not surprised he doesn't really want to admit it's a problem, especially when he feels judged. One person's OCD can certainly bleed into someone else's life as it has in you and your brother's case, but if he feels like he has to tackle the problem alone and can't talk about it, it will only raise his anxiety and the problem will get worse. OCD is an anxiety disorder, and if the people around him are adding to his stress, you can bet you won't be getting a turn in the bathroom any time soon. Try to educate yourself as much as you can on it, then approach him about it in a kind manner without the anger.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-09-22 at 09:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Physicx View Post
    Personally i dont see the problem here. i do see a problem with the people who think you should see a doctor though.
    be clean my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Having OCD where your washing your hands so often a day they go red and sore (sometimes even bleeding) is a problem. Believe me I know that. If someone can control it themselves its good, but asking for help doesn't make it a bad thing either.
    Yes it is a problem. It is really bad seeing the condition of someones hands when they have this problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wash my hands a lot as well, but that's more of a habit I developed from working with old/dirty computers. It just sort of carried over elsewhere.

There are two issues to address.

1) The actual washing. Washing your hands TOO much can actually be harmful, depending on what you use.
    2) The obsessive aspect could be bad, depending on how its handled. Just speak with a doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    In all honesty, it does sound like your brother has some obsessive compulsive tendencies. How have you historically approached him about it? I could be wrong but it sounds like sometimes your anger might be apparent when you bring it up. OCD makes you feel like you're going crazy, so I'm not surprised he doesn't really want to admit it's a problem, especially when he feels judged. One person's OCD can certainly bleed into someone else's life as it has in you and your brother's case, but if he feels like he has to tackle the problem alone and can't talk about it, it will only raise his anxiety and the problem will get worse. OCD is an anxiety disorder, and if the people around him are adding to his stress, you can bet you won't be getting a turn in the bathroom any time soon. Try to educate yourself as much as you can on it, then approach him about it in a kind manner without the anger.
    Honestly, I can't help but get angry if we have to go somewhere and now we are late because he is in the bathroom still and won't leave. I can't help that. I don't mind that he has this problem. I just wish that it didn't affect the relationship. It becomes a problem to the point that we don't want to bring him with us.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-09-22 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    10-20 times a day isn't really harmful, just be careful to not dry your skin out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    And its getting worse lately, I never used to have any form of OCD about anything, I was pretty much just normal (I use the term normal lightly here)

Recently I've started washing my hands 10 - 20 times a day, if I pass the sink, I have to wash my hands, I know how stupid it is when I'm doing it, sometimes I will have only washed them about 15 minutes ago but its an overpowering urge and I can't stop myself. Its becoming a bit weird and worrying now, I seem to be completely unable to stop myself from doing it, often I do it without realising its happening.

The question I want to ask is, has anybody else developed an OCD from nowhere?

How can I stop it?
    It usually takes an event to trigger ocd of most sorts.

Did you recently begin dating a woman that you subconsciously deem unclean? (had multiple partners before). Recently move? See a mouse? etc.

Even something as small as seeing a big bug could trigger it, you may not even have consciously thought about it at the time. But something happened that you feel is threatening your cleanliness.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Honestly, I can't help but get angry if we have to go somewhere and now we are late because he is in the bathroom still and won't leave. I can't help that.
    Well, I think it's rational to be angry about things that effect your life in a negative way. You have to understand though that if your brother really has OCD, he has a mental disorder that isn't his fault. I've experienced and been diagnosed with OCD myself, and I can't even begin to tell you how distressing it is. It strangled my life till barely anything was left. He's not trying to ruin your life in any way, he's ill. You love your brother right? Instead of being angry with him for things beyond his control, wouldn't it be worth it to help him gain control of his life again? There's a time for anger, I hear you on that. There's also a time for realizing being angry about something bad doesn't make it go away, and your brother needs your help. I don't want to invalidate your frustration, I'm just trying to help you see the other side.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-09-22 at 09:42 PM.

I usually just wash hands with soap after being at the bathroom, other than that I mostly find it unnecessary, unless I've been gold digging or anything. You see, I'm pretty fucking certain that I have an OCD for biting nails, and boogiemen don't taste very good, just for your information. Anyways, it certainly ain't just a bad habit, it's something I've done since I was 3-4 years old, and it's something I both want and don't want to do, but can't really stop. So yeah, I tend to wash my hands when necessary, else I'll get to taste the shit I've been digging in.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    I usually just wash hands with soap after being at the bathroom, other than that I mostly find it unnecessary, unless I've been gold digging or anything. You see, I'm pretty fucking certain that I have an OCD for biting nails, and boogiemen don't taste very good, just for your information. Anyways, it certainly ain't just a bad habit, it's something I've done since I was 3-4 years old, and it's something I both want and don't want to do, but can't really stop. So yeah, I tend to wash my hands when necessary, else I'll get to taste the shit I've been digging in.
    i had the same thing before but completely stopped it. I used to make booger sandwich and eat it, yes i'm serious. *I was like 10 years old.* idk why the hell did i do that?

Yep. Sounds like OCD. I work at a group home that has a client with extreme OCD (and I mean extreme). I've learned a few things about it.
    1. Trying to resist the urge will just cause you massive anxiety. But you may be able to find something else to replace the OCD urges. Whenever you feel the need to wash your hands, try just wiping them off with a towel, or just using purell, or rubbing your hands with lotion. You might be able to satisfy the urges with something that feels similar. Diminish the importance of the task by recognizing the triggers.
    2. There is medication available that can reduce the urges, or at least the anxiety caused by the urges. Do not be afraid to look into this option. Medication is not a shameful thing. Stronger people than you or I take medication every day for things like depression, anxiety, blood pressure, ADHD, etc. Don't be afraid to bring it up to a doctor.
    3. You aren't crazy, and you aren't alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirstblood View Post
    i had the same thing before but completely stopped it. I used to make booger sandwich and eat it, yes i'm serious. *I was like 10 years old.* idk why the hell did i do that?
    I don't know why but I am very curious to what a booger sandwich looks like.

OCD is generally it`s not something that magically appears, you usually have it from very early ages. some people have it all their lives, and some people outgrow it... others through their own awareness and power manage to overcome it. there are medications for it.

sometimes you have things in the back of your head that you don`t realize that might start it, fear of being sick, fear of dying (silly, right?) stuff like that. my suggestion would be when you feel like you have to wash your hands, don`t do it, just don`t.

when I was younger I had this thing where I would rub my fingers togther, and if they slipped I would go and wash them. they always felt greasy or something. the thing is, after a few minutes of washing your hands, if your hands are sweaty etc... that feeling goes away and your fingers always feel slippery. when I washed them, the water and soap when I dried my hands off made my fingers "stick" I guess, together and not slip. I did this a lot but like I said, I grew out of it, I was a kid. if you`re an adult you can force yourself to stop, you could, not everyone can. you sound like you can.
    Last edited by La; 2012-09-22 at 09:55 PM.

You aren't born with OCD, you develop it over time.

We can't just tell you to stop, you have to realize it's overkill yourself.

But i realize some people just feel "dirty" and have to do it. I wash my hands a lot too, but i don't think its obsessive. Maybe like 5-6 times.

As long as you aren't scrubbing the piss outta them, and causing damage it shouldn't be that bad to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    OCD is generally it`s not something that magically appears, you usually have it from very early ages. some people have it all their lives, and some people outgrow it... others through their own awareness and power manage to overcome it. there are medications for it.

(replying to bolded text)

This is what I would have thought as well had I not experienced the exact opposite personally. I always was a little quirky as a child, but never obsessive like I was for those few years. Believe me, I understand often people think that because they have one or maybe even two areas in their lives that are obsessive and unhealthy that they must have OCD, but in reality don't. I was given an official diagnosis, verified by several other doctors. I qualified for (very) expensive behavioral therapy and really have experienced madness. There's no question in anyone's mind that I suffered from OCD, the real question is why it just appeared and then disappeared years later like it did. The mind is extremely complicated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post

Dude, unless your someone who lives with OCD, its is not that simple. I'm sorry to hear of your own with living with RLS, but then you should understand its not something you can turn off. For people with ocd, its something in the back of your mind telling you to do something, and it won't stop until its done.
    Actually yes it is, if you have the will power. I used to have this OCD when i was a child that made me twitch my neck and face and i also used to make kind of a "hmph" sound with my throat. It started to annoy and me and to be so embarrassing that i decided to stop it. It took me a LOT of willpower and quite a big part of a year to make them stop, but i did it. I do still have very mild version of those even today after 25 years from when i stopped, but it's basically impossible to notice or hear them when you are around me.

So to the OP, you CAN stop it without any help, it certainly isn't easy, but you can do it if you put your mind to it