What is a good game similar to Diablo 3 and The Bard's Tale (2004)?

I just finished the Diablo 3 free trial (too pricey) and finished playing The Bard's Tale (2004) and I love the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh I had forgotten about The Bard's Tale, I loved that game .

You could have a look at Torchlight and Torchlight 2 which got released on the 20th, you can download the demo here: http://www.torchlight2game.com/
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

I never played The bards tale, but If you like D3 i would say go for tourchlight 2, very good game just out only 20 euro on steam. It also seems alot longer then D3 (if the first acts length is anything to go by, however i am just speculating at that). Also the last game had a fairly good modding scene so expect alot of user content which i generally find ends up been the best of all

That is not Torchlight 1 or 2, too cartoony for me. I don't mind poor graphics, just not cartoony.

Deleted
    I would have said torchlight 2, but since you said you don't like the cartoony style, I would try Path of Exile

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Deleted
    Isn't Diablo 3 kind of cartoony?

Well if not TL2, there is some free to play one coming out that is of a very high standard, according to people who follow it, they are scared that its giving players so much that there is no point to actual do any microtransations.

---------- Post added 2012-09-22 at 10:08 PM ----------

O and i dont actually no the name of it haha.

Deleted
    have you played diablo 2?

Did you ever try out Divine Divinity.

Check out some vids on youtube, pretty sure i saw it a while back on steam too, prehaps soemthign to consider.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever tried Demon Soul's/Dark Souls?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Have you ever tried Demon Soul's/Dark Souls?
    Doesn't Dark Souls have some really weird movement?

---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 01:26 AM ----------

Anyone at all? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Titan's Quest perhaps? Not cartoony at all, and a very good game, with a lot of customisation. Also has the advantage of being based in Greek Mythology so they have some cool bosses
    Would second Titan's Quest, amazing game for it's time and still looks and plays better than a lot of ARPG's released recently.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    Doesn't Dark Souls have some really weird movement?[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 01:26 AM ----------
    Anyone at all? :P
    Not sure about Dark Souls, but Demon Soul's was fun> Never beat it myself though>.>

Maybe something like Neverwinter Nights?It is a fairly old game, still good though. Or maybe something like Legend of Grimrock, it is first person, if you like that kind of thing.

I also will second(well...third?) advocate Titan's Quest.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Not sure about Dark Souls, but Demon Soul's was fun> Never beat it myself though>.>

Maybe something like Neverwinter Nights?It is a fairly old game, still good though. Or maybe something like Legend of Grimrock, it is first person, if you like that kind of thing.

I also will second(well...third?) advocate Titan's Quest.
    I liked Legend of Grimrock for a tiny bit then it got boring

15+ Year Old Account
    I liked Legend of Grimrock for a tiny bit then it got boring
    Maybe Krater, binding of isaac or the Dungeon Siege series?

Dark Cloud 1 & 2 was also good.

Doesn't Dark Souls have some really weird movement?[COLOR="red"]
    No. Well, if you use mouse and keyboard for the PC version it is, but otherwise no. It feels weighty, though, if that's something that would bother you. If you weigh heavy armor, you can kind of "feel" that when you control your character, while if you wear lighter armor, you feel as though you move more freely. Attacks are weighty in the same way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    No. Well, if you use mouse and keyboard for the PC version it is, but otherwise no. It feels weighty, though, if that's something that would bother you. If you weigh heavy armor, you can kind of "feel" that when you control your character, while if you wear lighter armor, you feel as though you move more freely. Attacks are weighty in the same way as well.
    Not entirely true either. controls on a console are just as bad as they are on a pc, with the only exception, that players of console games usually manage to adapt pretty well to bad controls. If you play it with the pc interface, you'll most likely want to commit suicide by the end of the first ..no..by the end of the exit of the dungeon you're in when you roll a char.

Aiming is a disaster in both. Even though the auto-aim function allows you to target your opponents, it's frustrating to use when you're dodging arrows at the same time, from an entirely different angle. Obviously taking out the ranged first would be a great plan, if the road towards the ranged on top of that there mountain wouldn't be blocked by a multitude of skeletons. Long story short, while I think Dark Souls is a hard game due to its mechanics, it's also a harder than necessary game due to its controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Would second Titan's Quest, amazing game for it's time and still looks and plays better than a lot of ARPG's released recently.
    Too bad that you will get raped in later acts with most builds...

You can also try Darksiders 2, plays like god of war, with zelda puzzles, prince of persia platforming and diablo loot system.

It may have cartoony style too, but much darker than generic indie graphic style torchlight has, but I will give you example so that you can judge yourself.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2012-09-23 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Not entirely true either. controls on a console are just as bad as they are on a pc, with the only exception, that players of console games usually manage to adapt pretty well to bad controls. If you play it with the pc interface, you'll most likely want to commit suicide by the end of the first ..no..by the end of the exit of the dungeon you're in when you roll a char.

Aiming is a disaster in both. Even though the auto-aim function allows you to target your opponents, it's frustrating to use when you're dodging arrows at the same time, from an entirely different angle. Obviously taking out the ranged first would be a great plan, if the road towards the ranged on top of that there mountain wouldn't be blocked by a multitude of skeletons. Long story short, while I think Dark Souls is a hard game due to its mechanics, it's also a harder than necessary game due to its controls.
    I can't say that I agree with you. I, as well as all of the other people I play with, adapted to the controls quickly enough. They aren't stream-lined, but I wouldn't call them bad at all. "Consolized?" Sure. It's a console game. But Bad? No, I can't say that I agree at all.