New MMORPG article about Storm legion

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ce.html/page/1

Highlights:
    1. What are hunt Rifts?
    2. What kind of new zone events are there?
    3. wtf is Carnage?

Very detailed article (fucking finally) about some of the stuff coming in SL

Those hunt rifts seem to be very fun to play, I just want it to come sooner

God damn. I'm loving the different progression paths they're giving us. Seriously, this is kinda like, blowing me away. Now I just need to get around to getting my mage/rogue to 50 before the expansion >.<

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    God damn. I'm loving the different progression paths they're giving us. Seriously, this is kinda like, blowing me away. Now I just need to get around to getting my mage/rogue to 50 before the expansion >.<
    Yeah leveling that mage of mine to play with Harbinger is a work in progress myself. The difference between how slow questing is compared to IA's is just crazy.

Theres also this from ZAM: http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=30623

Two articles in quick succession... beta very soon? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Both are good articles the timing for this xpac is spot on!

The problem with rifts is the scaling. Which is why I think the idea of hunt rifts is pretty.... stupid. It's a good idea but if the scaling of them are like it is now, where its just trivial spam 1 button because there are so many people, it's just pointless.

Not to mention the rewards are probably not scaled to your level, so lower level hunt rifts will pretty much be for the sake of fun and max level hunt rifts will be overcrowded and trivial and boring based on so many people playing them but the rewards will be for max level. Why can't we have both in one?
    Last edited by zito; 2012-09-21 at 09:21 PM.

I get the feeling Open Beta will be starting soon, despite my earlier misgivings.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I get the feeling Open Beta will be starting soon, despite my earlier misgivings.
    It better. xD

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 09:40 PM ----------

Also, looks like we will finally be getting some info on PvP in Storm Legion soon.
    He says this down in the comments after the article.
    "This call was ALL about the Dynamic Content they're adding. PVP is for next time, I was told. " ~Bill Murphy - Managing Editor over at MMORPG.com
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

10+ Year Old Account
    I really want to try Rift. I never gave it a proper chance and the more I read makes me want to try it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I really want to try Rift. I never gave it a proper chance and the more I read makes me want to try it again.
    Do eeett! There isn't a better mmo out there!
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

Deleted
    The new npcs in those screenshots looks gorgeous <3

Great to see the interviews are evolving and not focusing so much on recapping what info has already been released.

The only concern I have for SL is that Trion bites off more than they can chew with the expansion. I have no doubt the expac will be in great shape for release and that patches will continue to roll out regularly, but with all, what, 1 million forms of gameplay available, I don't know how they're going to continue updating and adding to them all without players complaining about being left out.

"It's been 4 months since there's been anything new to fishing! You just added another 45 hunt rifts in patch 2.47, introduce something awesome like shade-touched mackerel !!!!!!!1"

Yes, I foresee over 47 patches in Storm Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    shade-touched mackerel !!!!!!!1
    Made my day. :P

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The problem with rifts is the scaling. Which is why I think the idea of hunt rifts is pretty.... stupid. It's a good idea but if the scaling of them are like it is now, where its just trivial spam 1 button because there are so many people, it's just pointless.

Not to mention the rewards are probably not scaled to your level, so lower level hunt rifts will pretty much be for the sake of fun and max level hunt rifts will be overcrowded and trivial and boring based on so many people playing them but the rewards will be for max level. Why can't we have both in one?
    I really don't think any MMO can reconcile this. It's the nature of open world content. Either one enjoys the casual/simple nature of it or not.

The last MMO to have "serious" open world content was like FF11. And that was a mixed bag of awful and spectacular all in one. The problem of the "zerg" really has no solution in Rift, Warhammer, Guild Wars 2, etc. Heck, even EQ and DAOC could reach that point given enough people showing up.

Probably totally unrealistic to expect anything more than casual content out of open world PVE in MMOs for a good number of years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I really don't think any MMO can reconcile this. It's the nature of open world content. Either one enjoys the casual/simple nature of it or not.

The last MMO to have "serious" open world content was like FF11. And that was a mixed bag of awful and spectacular all in one. The problem of the "zerg" really has no solution in Rift, Warhammer, Guild Wars 2, etc. Heck, even EQ and DAOC could reach that point given enough people showing up.

Probably totally unrealistic to expect anything more than casual content out of open world PVE in MMOs for a good number of years to come.
    This is very true. The "problem" with open world content is that you can't account for other people showing up who aren't involved with you. You can't add mechanics depending on the number of people involved. You can't make the content so difficult that you need to be an organized machine in order to achieve success. The involvement of random people forces the content to be relatively easy. If you want something that isn't a "trivial spam 1 button" encounter, that's what raids and dungeons are for. Otherwise, you have to suck up the idea that these encounters aren't necessarily made for just for your mindset.

10+ Year Old Account
    That Hunt Rift boss looks very cool