10+ Year Old Account

Ardent Defender?

So we're doing Heroic Madness as our last hurrah for Cata. I was tanking and I had impale on me. GoAK was down, so I though, "alright, I'll use Ardent Defender"

And I died.

All Impale does is do 400,000 damage. From Ardent Defender's tooltip, I should actually survive that and be healed to 15%. Is Ardent Defender bugged? Is there some mechanic in this fight that keeps this from working? Why isn't Ardent Defender saving my ass like the tooltip says?

Let me clarify, it was casting Impale, I didn't have the debuff on me.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-09-23 at 01:42 AM.
    Putin khuliyo

Some fights override Ardent Defender. For example, you can't use AD to survive a second Hour of Twilight or a Fading Light on heroic Ultraxion or to survive a second Impale on heroic Madness. AD isn't bugged; it's specific fights that override it.

Hand of Protection will not work either

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be also that they put in a cap on how much AD can heal. Mages got hit by that (Cauterize, which is a pseudo-AD, will only absorb up to 300% of the mage's maximum health), and I believe priest's Guardian Spirit also has a cap.

I could be completely wrong, but some people have speculated that it was only a matter of time before AD gets the same treatment.

Deleted
    You could never use Ardent Defender for Impales on HEROIC Madness - only thing that worked, was it's damage reduction part, but not the "cheat death" element... (and btw Cheat Death did not work either - thus vanish/Feign Death/Dispersion were commonly used... or a handy stackup of normal CDs)

Quote Originally Posted by corpsebandit View Post
    Some fights override Ardent Defender. For example, you can't use AD to survive a second Hour of Twilight or a Fading Light on heroic Ultraxion or to survive a second Impale on heroic Madness. AD isn't bugged; it's specific fights that override it.
    This. 10 chars.... I love tacos.

You also can't use Divine Shield on Heroic Impale. Same as you can't use Divine Shield on Baleroc to reset your stacks/negate damage, Heroic Ultraxion for Hour or Fading Light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, thanks. Was wondering, I died twice to the impales so I was curious.

However, we did manage to down heroic Madness tonight. I survived by combining AD and DP (glyphed for physical protection) together and our prot warrior's safeguard. GoAK and Ysera's button was available for all other impales.

Not that it matters since this is the last week for DS. But at least you've issued the AD issue for me.

---------- Post added 2012-09-22 at 11:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    It could be also that they put in a cap on how much AD can heal. Mages got hit by that (Cauterize, which is a pseudo-AD, will only absorb up to 300% of the mage's maximum health), and I believe priest's Guardian Spirit also has a cap.

I could be completely wrong, but some people have speculated that it was only a matter of time before AD gets the same treatment.
    I wish, if they did this, they'd put it in the tooltip.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    What I don't understand is why you'd ever come in the situation where impale was a threat.

Let me explain: In case you havn't noticed, they changed Shield of the Righteous - it is now a 3 second damage reduction ability, that can be lined up with 5 holy power. So what you do is - whenever the corruption spawn, you make sure you have 5 HoPo and then wait for the impale to start casting, then you line up 2 shield of the righteous right after another so the damage reduction is up when it hits you, and voila you probably won't even need a cooldown to survive impale.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebot View Post
    What I don't understand is why you'd ever come in the situation where impale was a threat.

Let me explain: In case you havn't noticed, they changed Shield of the Righteous - it is now a 3 second damage reduction ability, that can be lined up with 5 holy power. So what you do is - whenever the corruption spawn, you make sure you have 5 HoPo and then wait for the impale to start casting, then you line up 2 shield of the righteous right after another so the damage reduction is up when it hits you, and voila you probably won't even need a cooldown to survive impale.
    Yep this guy is right, this is what I do!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daredalus View Post
    Yep this guy is right, this is what I do!
    Pop Holy Avenger instead go dps lolz!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Pop Holy Avenger instead go dps lolz!
    If you wanted more dps it would make sense to go for HA than DP on heroic madness because you could time it with impale and get a chain of ridiculous hits out at a set time when your vengeance is silly, rather than lucking out or getting them at not so useful times.

But ya know, not important any more seeing as MOP is out.

The way to do heroic Madness impales (they hit for 840k base damage but then due to buff and weakened blows/other passives it goes down) was to just time SHOTR with it but before that the order was Dream -> GoaK -> DP and AD + an external cooldown such as Hand of Sacrifice -> GoaK

However due to 5.0.4 arriving you'd just use SHOTR instead of using anything like a cooldown, whatever the hell those things were.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.