With quest rewards being spec specific in MoP...

will you be leveling as Prot/Holy to get the gear or sticking to ret and worrying about that at 90? I want to tank for my guild at 90 and I'll need to have a prot set as soon as I hit 90 so I can que as a tank in 5 mans. Are we going to be forced to level as prot/holy to get the proper gear or has anyone thought of a way around this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna have to run dungeons while questing.

Stupid decision on Blizzard's part.
    Putin khuliyo

changing specs before you turn in the quest works does it not?

Alternatively you can buy gear of equal item level in each zone as you move through them

Also there arent too many of these quests. Most have the stock standard 3-4 items to choose from.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I haven't seen any examples of this at all. I've done quite a bit of the new quests as multiple different classes, the rewards have been class specific, not spec, seeing as I tried a ret paladin and still had the option to pick tank/healing gear. I don't really know what to tell you, but you might just want to stick with the spec you plan to play rather than worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by YugoXIII View Post
    I haven't seen any examples of this at all. I've done quite a bit of the new quests as multiple different classes, the rewards have been class specific, not spec, seeing as I tried a ret paladin and still had the option to pick tank/healing gear. I don't really know what to tell you, but you might just want to stick with the spec you plan to play rather than worry about it.
    Weired. Every single Q in early JF is spec specific, confirmed on ele/enha shammy, ret/holy pala and blood/frost DW DK. If Q rew for shammie was 1H melee mace, switching to ele means switch Q rew to caster shield f.e.
    The same with pala and DK also, DK have also more weapon choice if as blood was 2h weap as a reward, switching to frost means I´ve got 1H and 2h weap as a reward to choose.
    The same in early VotFW quests. For me it´s simple, if my main spec item will be improvement for me, I´ll stick with it, other way I switch to OS.

As Cerunnos said, the simple way to not have to deal with the problem is use the vendors in the zone to buy gear. It'll cost you some gold, but it has almost every slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    will you be leveling as Prot/Holy to get the gear or sticking to ret and worrying about that at 90? I want to tank for my guild at 90 and I'll need to have a prot set as soon as I hit 90 so I can que as a tank in 5 mans. Are we going to be forced to level as prot/holy to get the proper gear or has anyone thought of a way around this?
    Wait, it's SPEC or CLASS specific? Because last time I saw there is still the choice part of the reward, where you get the version of the reward you want most, in case of hybrid classes.

Yeah, I was under the impression it was class-specific.

As in, paladins will only see Plate rewards, but should still get enough choice in the matter to pick up stuff for their preferred spec, most of the time.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't a big deal for me on beta. I thought it would be but it wasn't. The healing gear I had at the end of Cata and the drops from the 5m was good enough to keep me healing dungeons till 90. The quest rewards I always picked the dps one. At 90 I had to craft all healing gear to get the ilvl to do heroics anyway so all the quest items didn't matter. Except trinkets, rings, necklace.

As for the SPEC or CLASS specific quest items.....it's starts off being just for the spec you are questing in. But the quests in higher lvls will have class choices. All Blue quality items from a quest will always give you a choice. Really it's not that big of a deal and you all will do fine. The quests items you get at 86 87 will be replaced and doesn't matter you not having a choice at the start.

You really should be able to choose from any of the rewards tbh no matter what spec you are, becouse well, why not? :|
    There is this thing called being so open-minded your brains fall out.

-Richard Dawkins

It stops being spec specific in either Kun-Lai or Townlong, can't exactly remember which but I know the last 2 zones for sure aren't spec specific.

i tried beta while ago and its stupid to make it spec specific. I wish they would change that completely. Sometimes quests would give you a gear reward in one spec, but absolutely nothing in another spec. And there was no real way to know which quests would reward it so you have to constantly swap specs to test it out every time you want to turn in a quest. Pretty lame and tedious.

My plan, as a raiding Holy Pally coming in with 391 Holy gear and 372 Ret gear, is to quest as Ret to get to max level, picking up ret gear as I go. Once I hit level 89, I will change and pick up Holy gear in the last couple of zones. The Ret gear I've picked up the three levels before then should be enough to kill mobs the last two levels, and I can start working on Holy gear for Heroic 5-mans at that point. I'll also be queueing for 5-mans as a healer, and I'm sure I can heal the entry instances in my current Holy gear, and I'll pick up some Holy upgrades in there to make the next level of instances easier.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.