Page 1 of 2
LastLast

last minute decisions about lock lvling spec.

so what's the deal so far? is affliction still the best spec to level with ? or has anyone found a better spec with less downtime and faster clearing?

just wanted to see if I should swap to another spec at the last minute or stick with affli

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a topic with a large amount of replies on the first page with a poll and allot of good discussion that's should help with your decision.me personally am going with affliction
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

I just leveled a lock to 85. I found that early on Destro is king. Then it switches to demo. I didn't care for Affliction until Haunt/Soul Swap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demonology is just an all around spec both good in 1v1 and aoe leveling.
    Affliction is king when you just massdotting everything
    Destruction is king when you prefer to 1v1 everything.

Unless you're going for realm first, level as what you intend to raid as. The difference in damage and downtime is likely going to be less than +/- 1 hour overall on 85-90 anyway.

You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.

Go with destro why because:
    1) Destro has better selfhealing now then affliction
    2) Destro has no mana issues
    3) Destro has high burst so you can kill single mobs faster
    4) My experience is that usually mobs are to far apart so affliction multi dot scenario's don't really shine

Reason why I don't like demo
    1) Pets die to fast when chain pulling, people claim that Felguard has been a awsome minion for leveling but my experience is that I have to heal him all the time

Affliction:
    I usually level affliction but since the selfhealing part isn't as good as it used to affliction lost the biggest advantage it has.
    And mobs usually aren't stacked close to each other so being able to dot a dozen or so targets hasn't worked since lvl 50 zones

Maybe, but demo's so much fun... building up Fury then going Demo to go berserk...

I will definitely be leveling as demo in the dark apotheosis form. That play style is awesome.

I go with what is fun for me, I will be going Demon.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Destruction. Because is fast, safety and most importantly: it's the spec I like.

Play whatever you want. You can multi pull as affliction and demonology, if you're going to dungeon to 87 like a lot of people then demonology since affliction won't be much help in the aoe burst department on trash pulls, if you go affliction you dot everything up...wait a little bit, and bam they're dead, as demonology you just pull, aoe burst down(much quicker then affliction multi pull for sure). I'll most likely be going as affliction as it's what I know, but definitely going demonology for the 87 dungeon grind, hearthing restoring my affliction reforges(haste stacking for multi-dotting) and off I go to kun-lai summit.

Every 3 specs will level fast, but imo Aff its the most convenient for shear speed

15+ Year Old Account
    Affliction could dot mob 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 up and just wait for them to die and come out of combat with full health. That's why I enjoyed it the most. Not sure if corruption heals you as much now though, and haunt does not heal you anymore either afaik.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

thanks a lot for the info guys, guess I'll be sticking with affliction then, since I'm not going to spam dungeons.
    Also, leveling as destro feels kinda weird for me tbh,even if it has no mana problems , as for demo, I'm somewhat torn between affli and demo, guess I'll run with both and see which one I need most depending on the situation.

Deleted
    IMO i think Demo In dark Apothesis will be fast, The damage reduction on that is Win, + Crazy AOE Abilities.

Ill be jumping between DEMO and Destro, Afflic just doesnt feel the same these days

10+ Year Old Account
    Run affliction. The self healing, run and gun damage is too hard to pass up for leveling. Use Siphon Life glyph for self healing as you dot and run and keep spending your shards on Haunt for the healing return from Soul Leech. If the mobs get to close, Shadowfury on CD or use burning rush if you find yourself overwhelmed and keep doting. Use Soul Shard glyph, Siphon Life and Life Tap. While in between combat you should be at 90-100% health, life tap to full. The healing absorbed CD is only 30 seconds and should disappear before you re enter combat or right after you enter, it's trivial. Run Soul Link and Sacrifice. Sacrifice so you don't have to deal with a demon. Sac the Voidwalker. Use Soul Link for the extra 40k health.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Destro. Best burst and more than enough survivability.

affliction isn't that muti dot god anymore, our dots got nerfed while they aren't under effect of haunt and malefic...

destro is king now, best self heal and burst, possibilitie to havoc a target and shadowburn the other to insta kill 1 target... double chaos bolt to instant kill 2 targets... etc...

won't destro lose too many secondary stats while lvling ? crit , haste, mastery ratios will increase the higher we go, and the gear we'll change eventually will give us less % on those stats, so wont destro's damage go down ? I'm not talking about CB, I'm talking about the ramp up time, sure you can use a CB right off the bat because you have an ember but after that mob , the time it will take you to build an ember wont take you more time than it takes to kill a mob with another spec? unless you mean to build enough embers and chain mobs ( considering mobs are even close to be pulled that way, and since mist is going out now, that's doubtful with all the people lvling with you).

as for affliction, isn't it better to not sac pet and just pick up voidlord and let it tank ? saccing the pet feels weird while lvling, if you pull an elite and cannot handle it, letting the pet die while you run away has always been a good thing about pets in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    won't destro lose too many secondary stats while lvling ? crit , haste, mastery ratios will increase the higher we go, and the gear we'll change eventually will give us less % on those stats, so wont destro's damage go down ? I'm not talking about CB, I'm talking about the ramp up time, sure you can use a CB right off the bat because you have an ember but after that mob , the time it will take you to build an ember wont take you more time than it takes to kill a mob with another spec? unless you mean to build enough embers and chain mobs ( considering mobs are even close to be pulled that way, and since mist is going out now, that's doubtful with all the people lvling with you).

as for affliction, isn't it better to not sac pet and just pick up voidlord and let it tank ? saccing the pet feels weird while lvling, if you pull an elite and cannot handle it, letting the pet die while you run away has always been a good thing about pets in the first place.
    Always finish with shadowburn, when you kill a target, you're refunded the ember.