Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    Wow, how 1950's. So sad.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was illegal to spank your kids in those states because of child abuse laws.
    Moo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Glade I live in Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by JonBoy2001 View Post
    Wow, how 1950's. So sad.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was illegal to spank your kids in those states because of child abuse laws.
    Would it surprise you to learn that spanking your kids isn't illegal in any state, then?

Back when I was in school (6th grade), a teacher once slapped a student after he flipped him off. The teacher got thrown out of school within 1 week.

I would have pressed charges against the teacher if it was my child. Violence should never be used in schools and if the kid deserved a spanking, its the parents "obligatory" to deliver it, and not the teachers (or anybody else).

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    It's the 21th century for god sakes .. these people should be facing jail time for child abuse.
    I'm pretty sure they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    The irony. Basically, what you are saying is that since physical discipline worked for you it must work for everyone. Worked for you...for you...you. What I know about you is what you display in this thread, and that is that you are argumentative, offensive, and really have a disregard for established rules. You scoff at receiving an infraction for breaking rules as well as being banned. You result to name calling and personal attacks with the slightest provocation.

Please, tell me again how physical violence you received while growing up made you such a disciplined, respectable person?
    I think his method to prove the legitimacy of physical punishment as a method of discipline has ended up showing just what sort of person it creates. The thread totally devolved in to a mud slinging flame-fest thanks to his contribution to it and it has shown the exact opposite of what he tried to prove.

If physical discipline breeds violent and/or aggressive people then it is a punishment method that creates a viscious circle. If no other way exists to discipline a child, create one. Don't fall back on one that just causes more problems later on down the line.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    I think his method to prove the legitimacy of physical punishment as a method of discipline has ended up showing just what sort of person it creates. The thread totally devolved in to a mud slinging flame-fest thanks to his contribution to it and it has shown the exact opposite of what he tried to prove.

If physical discipline breeds violent and/or aggressive people then it is a punishment method that creates a viscious circle. If no other way exists to discipline a child, create one. Don't fall back on one that just causes more problems later on down the line.
    So much truth.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Personally i'd rarther have let my grades drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    If physical discipline breeds violent and/or aggressive people then it is a punishment method that creates a viscious circle.
    If.

Does it?

Your anecdotal evidence is that because someone is aggressive online (because everyone acts exactly the same through the anonymity of the internet as they would IRL) it must mean they're aggressive in person and it's because they were "beaten" as a child. My anecdotal evidence is that both me and my sister were spanked, and neither of us hate our parents nor feel the compulsion to inflict harm on others... So...who's right?

It is never acceptable to punch someone when you are disagreeing with them or they are being a douche. How is it okay to swat kids for doing the same? It stinks of cognitive dissonance, to put it mildly.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    If.

Does it?

Your anecdotal evidence is that because someone is aggressive online (because everyone acts exactly the same through the anonymity of the internet as they would IRL) it must mean they're aggressive in person and it's because they were "beaten" as a child. My anecdotal evidence is that both me and my sister were spanked, and neither of us hate our parents nor feel the compulsion to inflict harm on others... So...who's right?
    At the other end i was NOT physically punished as a child yet I turned out perfectly fine. The heated exchanges in this thread have been representative of absolutes ends of the spectrum. If you are going to say you are a fine upstanding citizen, then you hurt your case be comporting yourself as anything but.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by saffi View Post
    It is never acceptable to punch someone when you are disagreeing with them or they are being a douche. How is it okay to swat kids for doing the same? It stinks of cognitive dissonance, to put it mildly.
    I never could understand how we could tell our children it is not ok to hit and then hit them for minor infractions. Confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by saffi View Post
    It should be acceptable to punch people who are being a douche. Maybe we'd have less douchebags then. It's just a punch, he'll get over it.

I honestly don't see why people get so weird over this subject. The human race went on fine for thousands of years with corporal punishment.

Granted I understand that some parents don't want their kids paddled, and that's fine, but under strict guidelines, like how this one went down recently in Texas, it's not a big deal. A guy delivering the paddle and being supervised by the opposite sex is making sure everything is legit and legal. And making sure the guy delivering the wood isn't getting a woody in the process.

10+ Year Old Account
    If.

Does it?

I didn't set out to prove anything here. Anecdotal evidence? of what, my opinion? I believed the person I was basing my earlier statement on is making a better case against what he is trying to provide a case in favour of through the way he's managed to make that case. If I was going to provide evidence to prove my point then I wouldn't base it on a sample size of 1.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    At the other end i was NOT physically punished as a child yet I turned out perfectly fine. The heated exchanges in this thread have been representative of absolutes ends of the spectrum. If you are going to say you are a fine upstanding citizen, then you hurt your case be comporting yourself as anything but.
    So both forms of parenting lead to the same end result with no lasting harm to the children. Yet those parents who choose to use corporal punishment are judged as terrible child abusers by those with differing opinions. Seems to me that by not spanking, those parents lead their children to believe that it's ok to look down on, and be judgmental of those they disagree with. Such an inspiring, enlightened attitude.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    I honestly don't see why people get so weird over this subject. The human race went on fine for thousands of years with corporal punishment.

Granted I understand that some parents don't want their kids paddled, and that's fine, but under strict guidelines, like how this one went down recently in Texas, it's not a big deal. A guy delivering the paddle and being supervised by the opposite sex is making sure everything is legit and legal. And making sure the guy delivering the wood isn't getting a woody in the process.
    Oh really?Take a sec to learn about history,and take a good look at society.The human race is far from being fine and today we're still not anywhere near decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I just don't see the point of it, there's no statistical or research data to suggest that corporal punishment is in any way shape or form more beneficial than other types of disciplinary action.
    I doubt anyone would do any research on that subject, however, speaking from experience I have been physically punished. I learned to not speak back to my parents, teachers, and not to steal. My girlfriend is the exact opposite and it disgusts me how she speaks back to her father.

No matter what people say, fear is the best way to keep kids in line. Detention? Yeah ok that will definitely make you not steal again or teach you respect. A good smacking and you'll never do it again. As long as there are limits and discipline corporal punishment > all others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero412 View Post
    I doubt anyone would do any research on that subject, however, speaking from experience I have been physically punished. I learned to not speak back to my parents, teachers, and not to steal. My girlfriend is the exact opposite and it disgusts me how she speaks back to her father.

No matter what people say, fear is the best way to keep kids in line. Detention? Yeah ok that will definitely make you not steal again or teach you respect. A good smacking and you'll never do it again. As long as there are limits and discipline corporal punishment > all others.
    I was never beat by my parents and I don't steal or disrespect people,so your fear theory doesn't make any sense.
    besides what kind of barbaric way of educating a kid is this?with fear?Oo

So both forms of parenting lead to the same end result with no lasting harm to the children. Yet those parents who choose to use corporal punishment are judged as terrible child abusers by those with differing opinions. Seems to me that by not spanking, those parents lead their children to believe that it's ok to look down on, and be judgmental of those they disagree with. Such an inspiring, enlightened attitude.
    My friend, you made a logical leap that i am not sure how to decode. I acknowledge that both forms of parenting can have the same results. I do NOT think it's ok for children to be raised that way. i will not strike my kids and I think it sends a confusing method when you do. Just my opinion on the matter. I certainly don't judge anyone who disagrees with me, so I'm not sure how you got the idea that by simply NOT spanking I am somehow "leading my children to believe that it's ok to look down on and judgmental of those they disagree with."

The last sentence is correct. The idea that you can discipline kids and raise them into healthy socialized adults without violence is rather enlightened and inspiring.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nero412 View Post

I don't think there is a single model of child psychology that acknowledges children respond best to fear.

I am NOT a psychologist, but I have received some training in the psychology of teaching and I can tell you for a fact fear is never seen as a valid tool for teaching. Sure it can be used to change behavior but with less than stellar results.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think spanking in rare situations is fine (I was spanked infrequently growing up; I say infrequent because I actually behaved), but I think trying to outsmart your child and figuring out other ways to teach them should be a priority...

...Problem is most parents don't have the dedication, time, consistancy, or care to spend a lot of time on their kids these days. They just buy them a bunch of materials things to show them their "love" rather than teaching them how to be decent human beings. In addition children are influenced by so much in media that even if parents try to teach them (whether by spanking or not) in my experience the children don't really learn because they are so self-absorbed, self-entitled, and indulged that they think they are simply just victims of their unfair parents.

I am studying to be a teacher and although I hear a lot of horror stories about disrespectful, undisciplined, and destructive children, I would NEVER want to spank ANY of my students. Students are able to be taught that at school certain behaviors are NOT acceptable so that they are reasonably well-behaved in class (though I hear that they revert back to undisciplined behavior in their home settings towards their lazy parents though). A lot of parents today also seem to be clueless about teaching boundaries and their child's behaviors...

Of course, this has nothing to do with the article that was about a girl CHOOSING to be paddled... lol
    Last edited by Faunwea; 2012-09-24 at 11:10 PM.