Horde Race Balance:
25-30% Blood Elf
Alliance Race Balance:
~19% Night Elf
If that isn't enough said, consider the following:
- Before Burning Crusade, faction balance leaned slightly toward the Alliance. Hard to dig up statistics from that era, but I do remember that back then it wasn't huge, but somewhere between 40/60 and 45/55 with the bigger number being Alliance
- The top two played races are humans and blood elves. Blood elves have a neutral faction that works with the alliance, thus making them a possible candidate for the Alliance. There is no faction equivalent for the humans.
- Third most popular race is Night Elves - the only Elf option for the Alliance.
- Horde Segregation - Spend a day on any RP server and you'll find that Blood Elves are almost completely segregated in their own communities. It's not hard to find Horde players who hate Blood Elves for ruining the savage image of the horde. During the 2011 Blizzcon, the guest star of the L90ETC told the crowd that he though Blood Elves were... well very many not nice words that would probably get me banned. But if you're curious about that incident look up Corpsegrinder 2011 Blizzcon incident.
- Just look at how many threads people make saying they want to be high elves on the Alliance.
- Blizzard didn't like making a neutral race.
Not hard to test that. I just used realmpop to filter out any characters below 88.
We end up with a ratio of 48% Horde to 52% Alliance Overall.
Top Horde Race:
Blood Elves again, at a perfect %30
Top Alliance Races:
Alliance, humans at %33 and Night Elves at %20
Valid PointBUT THE PVP SERVERS!
Let's break it down by server type:
RPpvp + PVP:
RP + PVE
Ultimately if this "unbalances" factions, it would be great for PvP servers because it might make them more even. On PVE servers though, they swing even further toward the Alliance than the average, so it could be devastating. Is fixing one worth ruining the other?
Some Other Great Points Made By Other Posters:
Blizzard will never make blood elves neutral, and high elves will never be an alliance option. The reason for this is because it would destroy faction balance. I do not believe that every Blood Elf would go Horde, but I do believe we would see anywhere from 5-7.5% make the change to Alliance. We would not see any Alliance player making the change to Horde because that wouldn't be an option to them. The only way to balance that further would be if an Alliance faction went neutral - and with current in-game politics there's no reason for any of them to.
You can now link this whenever someone makes one of those "Blood Elves should be neutral!" "High Elves should be playable for Alliance" threads, and then type /thread.
If Blood Elves become a neutral faction, or high elves become a race of the alliance I will upload pictures of and film myself taking off my socks after a hard day of work, and then eat them.
For some lore reason High Elves mutate into something weird.
The option as a 'subrace' to humans or night elves limited to certain class combinations. (If there is no limitation, I might as well eat my socks.