Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Choice between guilds - What would you do?

Put yourself in my shoes for a bit. You've done some T4/T5 content in TBC and you've done Naxx 10 (with a terrible guild, that struggled on Kel) and a bit of Ulduar 25 in WotLK. You haven't got much experience in heroic modes or raiding in Cata. (I chose to play more casually this expansion, focusing on PvP) But you you feel you are a good player that can handle most raids and perhaps even some heroic content, with practice.

You've sent in an app for two guilds, and been accepted by both. Guild 1, on first glance is a bit fast and loose with everything. They have cleared heroic DS and they plan for me to be in group 2. I don't know much about them and they aren't that friendly, or better put, I'm not sure my position in the raid would be solid, they are also Level 25. Guild 1 are level 8, and a group of freinds. They have cleared normal DS, and only some have cleared heroic ds. They say I'm guaranteed a raid spot in 10 man, and they might shoot for heroic raids later on.

So, I'd very much appreciate what you would pick. It's a fairly clear stereotypical distinction, one being the bigger and better guild, but with less of a chance of me being kept there, or a smaller guild where I'm apparently 1 of 2 melee's in a 10 man guild, that don't progress as much but is obviously more stable.

Thanks.

Depends on what you want tbh.

If progression is all you care about with minimal interaction (unless you manage to get into a clique) then go for guild 1.

If you like friendly interaction with moderate progression go with guild 2.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Deleted
    Which would you enjoy more?

I enjoy 25-man more than 10, but the promise of a raidspot is far more appealing than being benched and occasionally see some 25 action.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Depends on what you want tbh.

If progression is all you care about with minimal interaction (unless you manage to get into a clique) then go for guild 1.

If you like friendly interaction with moderate progression go with guild 2.
    In all honesty, I've not interacted with either guild that much. For the purpose of the thread and to create a comparison I just wrote down my gut feeling. Who know's, maybe guild 1 is friendly. I just wish I could see into the future. I hate important choices. ;P

Deleted
    I'd go with the group of friends if they are serious about it, talk to them and see what they are like. I got into a "friend guild" consisting of top rated PvP players and had the most awesome experience in gaming with them. They radiated joy and were dedicated so I was extremely happy.

Talk to them and explain how it is, I don't think that any guild should rage at you for doing two applications at once.

Don't do either. Keep looking. Choosing a guild is probably the most impactful thing on your raiding experience. Don't settle.
    We are recruiting!
    Full Spectrum - Alleria
    www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Skilled Players with Work and Families
    WoW Insider Interview

Although the culture needs to be right, the most important fit is to find raiders of apporximately equal skill.

It doesn't help you join a really friendly guild that struggles to down the first boss in an expac.

I don't know about the first guilds second team but I'm leery of being put into a second team. Second team to me means people who aren't commited enough to play well or even pitch on time so you end up with 7 people and 3 pugs. This may work swimmingly but I tend to err on the side of caution.

My advice would be to go with the smaller guild if their ambitions match your own, otherwise to keep looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdy_rct6uo

It really depends on your priorities here. If progression is really important to you, imo it's better to not go with either. You can find a guild that is friendly, can progress, and will put you in group 1, assuming you show up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't just dismiss "second" teams off hand - after my first (and only) serious guild in Cata dropped from 25s to 10s on the weekends due to recruitment/player quality issues (most people couldn't even handle normal Nefarian interrupt rotation... had to have a Holy Pala help) I got plopped into the "2nd" group, made of weekend players (4/hrs night Fri and Sat) and then proceeded to own the crap out of the Tuesday/Thursday group that was started first after an adjustment period. Went 7/13H pre 4.2 and 5/7H pre FL nerfs and the other group was stuck on H V&T and then H Baelroc in FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

I would go with guild 1, make an effort to be noticed as a reliable dps asset and hope to become a steady member of the best raid team.
    If i clash with that guild personality wise, usually meaning the guild is filled with troll-happy "u mad" type people i will find a guild elsewhere.

Actual friends will stay in touch even if your not in the same guild, and i won't necessarily stay in a guild just for the social aspect, but i also won't stay in a guild where i dislike the other raiders just for the progression.

Happily though i can say that I'm in a guild where I'm both with friends, and can progress well.

Deleted
    You don't sound like some veteran raider so I would suggest not to join a "higher place" while they are progressing since it can feel quite bad to you when you don't really know the ppl and the mood gets bad etc.
    Start with the other guild and if you feel comfortable with the content and that guild is not really progressing as you want to look for a better and higher place to stay. When everyone is happy because there are dead bosses, epics and not so many dead raiders it's easier to get into the group. After you know the ppl and they know you darker days may come (in form of new content yay ).

Deleted
    The first one is going to boot you out so go with the second.

Deleted
    I have to say that both options are pretty bad. I never understood the concept of "group 2". Why is that group not their own guild? It always sounds to me like it's just a way to bench people you don't want in your progress group, but want around in case someone from group 1 doesn't show up or a specific class is needed. Is the progress of group 2 8/8 hc or just group 1?

As for this group of friends guild that's only done normal DS, I'd forget about them. Not clearing 8/8 hc reliably at this point in time with all the ridiculous nerfs is a huge warning sign about the quality and dedication of their raiding.

If you absolutely must pick one of these, I'd go for guild 1 and get as much experience (and gear) as possible while looking for a better guild. You have very little raiding experience, so figure out who their best players are and pay attention to how they do things, learn what addons and tools they use, what sites they read etc., also pay attention to their raid leading and other aspects. Just learn as much as you can while getting experience and you will be in a much better position to find a great guild for second/third tier of MoP.

if you want 25/10, pick accordingly.

guilds made of friends usually is bad, you want a guild with a smooth flow, not friends coming and going.

clearing DS 8/8hc is nothing - look at WHEN was it cleared. prenerfs? predebuffs? etc.

if you want to be a core raider I would suggest looking for a 3rd guild as none of those 2 will suit. group 2 usually means a group of the alts of main raiders of gr1 and maybe some friends/casuals(so you will be ranked as casual/friend, not a raider), so no point in that really.

Groups of friends beats "Group 2" any day.

Any time someone says you can join "Group 2" or "Group B" it generally means they think you are bad, although sometimes it's just a trial to the main...but usually not.

Good luck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromnak View Post
    Groups of friends beats "Group 2" any day.
    Given similar progress, perhaps. But this is a group of friends that hasn't managed to clear DS hc, while the group 2 is in a guild that has. Also, when you join a "group of friends", expect to get treated as second class compared to the "friends".

15+ Year Old Account
    Keep looking for a friendly guild that also knows WTF they're doing.

Couldn't clear heroic DS w/ all the nerfs? Stay the hell away from that pile of crap.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    I think I'd go for the 2nd guild just because I know what it feels like being the necessary person to fill in the spots in a 25man. In a 10man it's most of the time more friendly, however, there's a bit less room for error.

The 2nd guild is level 8. AFTER the nerfs to guild xp ? Either their activity is... nonexistent, or they were just created yesterday.

If those are the only 2 guilds to choose between, I'd go for the first guild and who knows, maybe they're friendly once you're on the inside...

but if you've raided with them already, and don't like the experience, find another guild.

Dont do either and come have a chat with me, I would say we are somewhere in the middle of your choice's if having to compare and need some mature raiders come mop to fill gaps!
    Uk guild ran by mature gamers.
    (like my cheeky recruitment attempt?)
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.