10+ Year Old Account

Medical Curiosity

Okay, first off I know these aren't medical forums; I was just curious as to seeing some peoples feedback from a forum I visit everyday.

So the story goes; I am 24 years old and have significant hearing loss. I didn't notice the hearing loss until i was around 19-20. I have extreme ringing in my ears(tinnitus) as well which makes it worse. I am always saying "What?" when people are talking or turning the TV up(things like that). I am curious to know if any other people suffer from what I suffer from or have received some sort of treatment to correct it. I always feel like it's some sort of pressure problem in my head(some times I can pop my ears and I hear SIGNIFICANTLY better for around a minute or so). I've heard about tubes/surgeries and was just curious if anyone has had this problem corrected so I can have some sort of idea of what to expect when I see an ENT after deployment.

I know trolling is fun, but serious replies please.

Thanks

Deleted
    You probably should ask a real doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    You probably should ask a real doctor.
    Thank you for replying with a response I had implied was irrelevant to my post.
    I'm asking if anyone has/had this issue and got it corrected.

I know to see a real doctor, getting that out of the way, curious to my original post though.

Do you listen to loud music/noise or anything with headphones a lot?

Most likely there's a problem with your tympanic membrane,but without doing actual testing or you being specific in something you think is causing the problem, no one here can help you.

If the problem is pressure then maybe there can be some surgery to help you, depending on what exactly is causing the problem.

So the ONLY thing I know about physiology or the medical trade is that advil makes my headache go away. I HAVE heard that high blood pressure could cause hearing loss. How is your blood pressure?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

15+ Year Old Account
    Hi. I'm someone who's had the tube surgery very very early in life. My hearing is much better now, but not perfect. I can hear very well, but have issues focusing in a crowd (a little too much background noise). My symptoms before having the procedure were constant ear infections and general pain.

As Blueobelisk mentioned above, you could have damaged your hearing if you listen too music loudly, though there are many other possibilities that you should check with a doctor. One such possibility is blockage. You mentioned after you pop your ears, you can hear better for a minute. That makes me think you could have something going on inside which might be cureable rather easily through a procedure or medication.

Whatever you do though, don't be worried if they mention getting tubes in your ears. I had the procedure done about 25 years ago now and I know it helped me.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It could be sinus issues or due to listening to loud music or other things. The pressure in your ear could be off to the point of causing the ringing to occur, but there's no way for anyone to know without seeing a doctor about it.

If you have permanent tinnitis, that means you have serious ear damage and you need surgery.

Can I ask how you hurt your ears this bad when you're so young?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the replies. I'm not exactly sure what caused it, I have TMJ so my jaw isn't in the best shape and it does feel like a pressure problem... The ringing is constant, it never ends, 24/7. it's pretty annoying. But yes, I can pop my ears and I actually hear everything, I feel like I have supersonic hearing but then it goes away very quickly... That is pretty much it

If it goes away when you pop your ears then it's not nerve damage, which is good. That means surgery might be able to fix it.

Now the real question: how the hell do you sleep?

10+ Year Old Account
    The tinnitus doesn't stop when I pop my ears, I just hear a lot better.. And no clue how I sleep, some times it is hard to fall asleep... White noise like fans helps me sleep. I do have bad sinuses, well i'm always all stuffed up in the head/nose. I have no clue how this happened. I just feel like it is so bad and for no reason at all there has to be something to help it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roblivion View Post
    after deployment.
    Are you frequently around gunfire without having ear protection on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Are you frequently around gunfire without having ear protection on?
    Nope, never around gun fire.

Deleted
    Check the doctor asap, not joking.

I remember my aunt telling me a story that when she was like 22 years old she couldn't listen from an eay, and she didn't even know that until one of her teachers saw that she used her right ear a lot more to hear things.

She went to the doctor and was told that she had a cancer on her ear I think, thankfully it was still young, or wtv it is, and was removed, she has been fine since the operation.

I don't know if this might be your case but I suggest you go see a doctor asap, you never know. :/

Best of luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Check the doctor asap, not joking.

I remember my aunt telling me a story that when she was like 22 years old she couldn't listen from an eay, and she didn't even know that until one of her teachers saw that she used her right ear a lot more to hear things.

She went to the doctor and was told that she had a cancer on her ear I think, thankfully it was still young, or wtv it is, and was removed, she has been fine since the operation.

I don't know if this might be your case but I suggest you go see a doctor asap, you never know. :/

Best of luck.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I am getting with an ENT when I get home from deployment. Unfortunately when I was in school for my job in the Navy the doctor told me to just live with it... Hopefully this doctor will be more professional and actually help me. I can't imagine having normal hearing.

I have hearing loss and tinnitus from a reaction to medication. Of course, doctor acted like it wasn't even possible yet it was on the top of listed side effects. Nice. Mine is of the permanent nature.

If it goes away when you "pop" your ears then it sounds like possibly it's conductive loss rather than sensineural (sp?) loss, that's a good thing. Surgery to fix it might be an option. Do you suffer from congestion? Like could it be a sinus infection? TMJ is also a possibility. The only thing is that if it's been going on for years it can leave scar tissue in the middle ear which even surgery is unlikely to fix.

Look for a good ENT but preferably and Neurotologist (not to be confused with a neurologist). These are the guys that actually do the surgeries etc. and they know a lot more. A doc will probably want to order an MRI with contrast to get a better look at things and rule out some of the more common tumors (less likely since it's both ears).

I know how you feel, the ringing really really sucks.

i had similar problems as a child, it was from allergies causing sinus pressure. once the allergies were cleared up my hearing improved.
    Last edited by starlord; 2012-10-04 at 05:10 AM.