Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you think Runescape would be successful if it leaves the browser-game scene?

As the title says. If Runescape were to go into the "mainstream" MMO game, compete with games as WoW, GW2, Rift etc, do you think it would be successful?

Although it has extremely outdated graphics and combat system, it has quite a bit of players always playing. It's pretty addictive and, in my opinion, it has the absolute best questing system out there. I love the fact that there is no distinctive "class". You just level abilities like magic, woodcutting, etc and you level up that way. You can be a pure magic user if you want, or can be a sword and board kinda guy. Theres always quests being added and always things to do. I recently started playing it again and I was having a lot of fun surprisingly.

I think if they were to update it's combat system, it's graphics, the movements and all that...it would be an extremely successful and popular game.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, a game created in like 1997 does not compete.

Also, fuck java.

I'd play RuneScape is it had the combat mechanics of WoW, less grinding, and played using the keyboard instead of the mouse. The quests and the world of that game is just so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post

Also, -snip- java.
    Ah, and a game that first started development in 2000 does compete?
    Geeza aka Parilla

10+ Year Old Account

Also, fuck java.
    It was released in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I'd play RuneScape is it had the combat mechanics of WoW, less grinding, and played using the keyboard instead of the mouse. The quests and the world of that game is just so great.
    Yeah I agree, if they changed that stuff up I really think it would be one of the best mmo's out there. Imo, they're sitting on gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeza View Post
    Ah, and a game that first started development in 2000 does compete?
    If you're talking about wow, that doesn't compete anymore either.

Its a company that makes over 1B in revenue every month alone and it does 1/3 the content as pretty much every competitor.

If you're talking about wow, that doesn't compete anymore either.

Its a company that makes over 1B in revenue every month alone and it does 1/3 the content as pretty much every competitor.
    Apparently 9 million subscribers = not competing. Unless that's just really bad sarcasm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    It was released in 2001.

Yeah I agree, if they changed that stuff up I really think it would be one of the best mmo's out there. Imo, they're sitting on gold.
    And I said created, at the time the original guy who made it was a 17 year old kid who just learned a programming language and started doing it as a hobby in his spare time, that process took like 4 years for it to "officially" release.

10+ Year Old Account
    im confused so games that are dominating the competition are not competing
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    And I said created, at the time the original guy who made it was a 17 year old kid who just learned a programming language and started doing it as a hobby in his spare time, that process took like 4 years for it to "officially" release.
    At the time, and even now, it turned out to be a very successful and a great idea. I don't see why changing it's graphics, movement and combat system would make it unable to compete.

"The game has over 200 million accounts created and is recognised by the Guinness World Records as the world's largest free MMORPG and the most updated game"

It was released in 2001.
    Runescape 1 was made in 1997 runescape 2 came out in 2001.

It has been rumor for quite sometime the CEO of Jagex has been wanting to remove Runescape from a browser to how other mmo's are today. there has been no word on it at all in quite sometime.

Me personally i say no what gave runescape its spark was that it was a java based web browser MMORPG and can run on any rig. the new update there doing giving you key binds 1-9 *like other mmo's* is already a turn off for me and i won't be returning cause of it. *Fount it kinda hard to return to it anyway*
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    With the upcoming combat update I don't think it can be anything near succesful anymore. The exact thing that made Runescape Jagex is changing. IMO they are screwing up big time with the combat update :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Runescape 1 was made in 1997 runescape 2 came out in 2001.

It has been rumor for quite sometime the CEO of Jagex has been wanting to remove Runescape from a browser to how other mmo's are today. there has been no word on it at all in quite sometime.

Me personally i say no what gave runescape its spark was that it was a java based web browser MMORPG and can run on any rig. the new update there doing giving you key binds 1-9 *like other mmo's* is already a turn off for me and i won't be returning cause of it. *Fount it kinda hard to return to it anyway*
    "As the game's popularity grew, the game engine was rewritten, and its beta was opened to paying players on 1 December 2003 under the name "RuneScape 2". It was renamed RuneScape upon its stable release on 29 March 2004"

RS2 or the New RS was released in 04. The original, in 01. But yeah I saw that, I don't think it's such a bad idea

Also, where did you hear that rumor? I wana look into it =P
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2012-09-30 at 11:48 PM.

"As the game's popularity grew, the game engine was rewritten, and its beta was opened to paying players on 1 December 2003 under the name "RuneScape 2". It was renamed RuneScape upon its stable release on 29 March 2004"

RS2 or the New RS was released in 04. The original, in 01. But yeah I saw that, I don't think it's such a bad idea

just what i herd from playing it and a friend of mine who lives over in the UK. it isn't much but everynow and then for years i always heard someone say something about it.

i got no sorce i do admit but like others have said with the new combat system they are removing what made runescape a great game.

edit: google it u mite find something about it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reason for Runescapes success is that it is a browser game. With a huge grind that is almost impossible to finish due to the amount of time needed to skill up everything. and with their constantly updating, players are never out of things to do. due to the amount of time needed to finish the content.

Changing the game too much would destroy it.

I highly doubt it. Part of the lure of it is how easy/simple it is in the browser and the convenience that it brings for the game.

It's like Zynga's gaming portal they launched to try and cut out Facebook. It's absolutely failed to live up to their expectations and hasn't done too spectacularly.

10+ Year Old Account

I definitely played RS2 before 2004. kbd didn't even come out until like 2002 and I did it shortly after the release.

10+ Year Old Account
    NO.

Jagex have buried Runescape deep into the ground.
    I won't be back, and it's not hard to see that a huuuuuuge majority are just completely displeased where they are sending the game.
    Evolution of Combat - No one wants it. It's stupid, and not Runescape.
    Now they sell bonus items for real cash, and put more effort into those than compared to other aspects of the game.

I played from the first year it was released up until like 2006.
    Quality is worse now, that what it was back then.
    We used to get heaps of places, content, quests, skills.
    Now the players get given nothing, unless they want to buy cosmetic items.

It's complete rubbish.

2006 <3
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

The browser is the only reason Runescape still exists today. There are a great number of people who prefer playing on the browser.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    the browser aspect is perfectly fine

the thing(s) that need to go from RS are its horridly outdated mechanics

losing items on death is so... 1999?

like, i thought that died off around the same time we realized that checkpoints > lives unless you're an arcade game

2 major things that put me off from RS is 1) the insane grind. and 2) the combat. when you have a combat beta to redesign your combat from the ground up (the best thing they could have done for the game) then proceed to say "we made auto attack more powerful because we know some players like to afk, so we're going to add an ultimate move to make it easier to do that" you know somethings horribly wrong

one thing i can say, their quests are HANDS DOWN the best of the genre. wow, rift even swtor and GW2 personal story just arent as fun, diverse or telling as RS quests are. you could be a new player to RS and start doing quests and you will have the exact same sense of mystery and discovery and story telling experience ive had since 2004. the story presentation is just perfect. also many quests end up tying together for the 2 major quest plots (mahjarrat and biohazard)

but RS doesnt have to leave the browser to be (more?) successful, the major issues it has are design issues that dont mesh with gaming in 2012 and nothing wrong with the platform
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass