Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It was pure speculation on my part. I'll admit it. Variable c seemed to be the best solution to the Horizon Problem and it's still not ruled out. Yes, its truth would require a rewrite of much of modern physics, but that doesn't make it wrong. Experimentation will tell. If inflation is right, it's right. If not, we go back to the drawing board.
    And I admit not knowing enough about inflation to connect that (what, we're not talking about money inflation? So that's why we don't attack each other?). I have a popluar science book from the guy who developed inflation cosmology though, will read it again what he said about the subject.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Not to mention that if two things are moving away from each other at the speed of light, then they are travelling faster than the speed of light with respect to each other. (or, to be more precise, their distance is increasing at the rate of 2c)
    If you put it all really simply, it comes down to the "observer". If you imagine two planets moving away from each other at the speed of light and you standing between them, you'd see both planets moving away from you at that speed. If you, however, stand on one of the planets you'd only notice your planet moving away from the beginning point at the speed of light and had no observation whatsoever of the other planet because no light could "catch" you. No information transformed, no rules broken, general relativity intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Korbany View Post
    You deliberately took what I said out of context. You ignored that I specifically used the term educated guess
    It's not out of context at all. An educated guess is still making an estimate about something for which you have insufficient evidence, based on your existing knowledge from past/other events. My point is that it is completely, and absolutely, different to scientific theories, because the theory of relativity is not based on an "educated guess" from Newtonian mechanics. It is based on repeated experimental verification and sound mathematical models that directly support its validity.

Once again, the level of deliberate cognitive dissonance you display here, in equating meticulously proven scientific theories to "educated guesses", is stunning.

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 06:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    Well you could argue that there are just plain stupid theories, ridiculous theories
    What scientific theory are you contending to be "stupid" or "ridiculous" then?

Whenever I hear people use the: "gravity/evolution is also just a theory" as a counter for why another theory might not be valid, I cringe a bit.
    The only time I ever see that happen, is when people try to insinuate that a widely accepted, experimentally verified theory "might not be valid" because it's called a "theory". Either provide logical or experimental evidence to disprove a theory, or admit that you (not you specifically) are doubting science based on no good reason.

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 06:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    Its simple. The big bang is a lie. There is absolutely no proof. There is evidence for it not happening though. Evidence by real scientists like 2 planets in our galaxy spinning the opposite way when the laws of gravity state that if something blows up all the matter will be spinning the same way. Heres a site with some science showing the big bang isn't possible http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/bigbang.html There are many other sites with real science backing them up taht expose this lie. Google them.
    You're confusing the words "crackpot" and "science".

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 06:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    Aye, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light... if it has mass. Space itself doesn't so it can accelerate faster than the speed of light. Hence the recent article that proposes space travel and moving faster than the speed of light.
    It's expanding, not accelerating. That is a qualitative difference.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-09-25 at 06:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    Its simple. The big bang is a lie. There is absolutely no proof.
    There is evidence for it not happening though.
    Evidence by real scientists like 2 planets in our galaxy spinning the opposite way when the laws of gravity state that if something blows up all the matter will be spinning the same way.