Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by 0oglitcho0 View Post
    I'm a level 80 full dps build guardian, and I have no problem keeping myself and my team mates up. The first couple times you run a dungeon, sure it messes you up. Then you learn the specifics for the dungeon, and it becomes cake. Just saying.
    In all the honesty, after you get the general "flow" of gameplay in dungeons, they become very easy even on explorable modes in general. There are some exceptions to this, like Giganticus Lupicus and the WoW-esque tactical approach he requires which feels completely out of place in GW2's gameplay's flow but in general content is quite easy once you get how things work on a general level. Even a completely new instance is generally not terribly hard to do after you get a party of people who understand how things work on a general level, even if you're all first-timers.

This is great for when doing dungeons for the first few times. After that, the dungeons become mindnumbingly grindy due to being too easy with only moments of challenge being the rather frustrating out-of place bosses and mobs that have either bugged or daftly overtuned mechanics. There is very little in terms of "they got it right with difficulty" moments in GW2 dungeons at the moment, where difficulty is challenging but not reliant on a single overtuned trick (like the blowback boss in CM exp). Perhaps I just hit the nail on the head back in spring when talking about GW2's gameplay model being simply unsuitable for challenging dungeon content or perhaps designers just couldn't realise the potential of it. Either way, it's just not that fun by the MMO measuring stick of "needs to be interesting and/or rewarding after first couple of runs".

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    My warrior is on the cusp of becoming level 80, but I am wondering that if it really was the best choice for my first class. I keep hearing, and have experienced, the issues with being melee for PvE. Is the higher leveled content really that unforgiving for a melee character, or is it difficult in such a way that it is possible to improve so that eventually there isn't much of a problem?

So far the biggest issue I have had, eother than graveyard zerging a boss in Ascalonian Crypts, was the Mansion dungeon (the name escapes me) on story mode, where you fight the golem. Being that close meant i could never see his heatseeking missiles which had very tiny models anyway, and only after the fight I realised what was one hitting me.
    Well, you don't have to be melee, you could always equip a rifle.

Deleted
    yea well id say that gw2 favors range classes more than melee, dungeon wise and in wvw as well some times

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    And it's totally true. It's going to take time for more people to start doing that before the meta game can truly flourish.

I fully expect to see 5-man groups, for dungeons and for PvP, to come up with "roles" the way LoL has - AP carry, AD carry, "support", jungler.

Obviously not the same roles, but with a similar idea.
    I do this lol. I am the jungler Thief, getting groups, running ahead, taking whatever I can to get that clutch blind or refuge stealth so my team can keep up. Usually run with a mesmer that does the AP carrying (and she's the one that revives me most of the time), a necro that acts as support with staff and Lich form and a warrior with a taste for death with revive on Vengeance trait. Last stop is usually the guardian that fills the bruiser top role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well in regards to team fights in LoL, a jungler typically just ends up being another carry or bruiser, when played well. It just has a unique role for the lane phase. Most roles in the current meta are decided based on where they go in the lane phase, rather than their role in a team fight, so it's not going to be a direct translation.

But what I see in LoL teams is typically - a strong survivalist for the top lane (typically melee, not always - e.g. Ahri), a powerful ranged caster for the mid lane (this doesn't always mean magic damage, or even full-on ranged - e.g. Pantheon), a physical ranged damage type for bot, a support type for bot, and a decently sturdy and/or bursty melee type to jungle.

And of course, there's the simple fact that nobody is restricted specifically to melee or ranged in GW2, among other factors. So it's likely to evolve differently, but I expect it to be similar in overall composition.

Addition: found this read that describes LoL team roles much better.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-27 at 01:23 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

So gearing full toughness and keeping a high uptime on Regen, Protection, Chaos Armor… I guess that makes me a tank. I can still pressure, but I can hold attention without going down easily, and take a hit or two while rezzing.

As someone that doesn't really do MOBAs, I think that would probably be my role…? I think Tank is a League role?

edit: The read would place me as a playstyle for Tank/Fighter, Solo-Top?
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-09-27 at 07:49 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by garraeth View Post
    Ya I use tons, especially in Orr. But having someone else do them for me = better for the team sometimes I think.

But ya, other people are saying I should think about what my team is, and can, do -- and this is totally true.
    Or you could go for something like Soldier rune and have shouts remove conditions, shrug it off from trait passive, shake it off 25 sec CD (could be reduced to 20s with tactic tree) and it is decent condition removal for your group with double removal for yourself, if you need more for yourself just grab mending. However I'd go on to say that if you want a condition removal for the group I have not seen anybody do it better than necromancer, lots of weapons attacks and utility skills to transfer conditions from friends to enemies, turn to boons or simply remove. As a Warrior I simply drool when I look up "Consume Conditions" healing skills Om nom nom ("Plague Signet" utility just makes it so much better for them).

Just get double endure pain and try to avoid being melee in pve (occasional 100b time after time is good if you sure you're not targeted, but don't stay close for long) and you'll be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    So gearing full toughness and keeping a high uptime on Regen, Protection, Chaos Armor… I guess that makes me a tank. I can still pressure, but I can hold attention without going down easily, and take a hit or two while rezzing.

As someone that doesn't really do MOBAs, I think that would probably be my role…? I think Tank is a League role?

edit: The read would place me as a playstyle for Tank/Fighter, Solo-Top?
    Guess so. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.