Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sylvari homes in real

Found this, thought it may interest some of you
    Sorry if already posted.

"The cities of the future will have waste-to-energy plants, not shopping malls or churches, at their centre, according to urban designer Mitchell Joachim of Terreform ONE."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...ability-cities

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be pretty damn cool, and the right direction in terms of planetary sustainability.

Frigin Sylvari I knew they would try to take over!

Seriously though that is pretty damn cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    But why stop at plants and mushrooms? Joachim loves the possibilities of cellular engineering, pointing out the similarities between the structure of a building's wall and the exterior skin of a piece of meat. It could be used for small structures beyond just body parts, but no sentient creature would have to die. He even proposes a theoretical "meat house", grown in a lab -- a throbbing piece of meat that could function as a building. These biopolymers often have comparable (if not superior) strength to conventional building materials like concrete.
    He took it one step further!

I think what he's talking about is very much way off though, in terms of the reason for his idea. Waste in cities is not caused by the construction material of the buildings used, but by the people and the products they buy. Shampoo bottles, chicken bones, used napkins and paper towels, dirty diapers, etc etc.
    The only way plant-houses could be connected to that is that fertilizer is good for plants. But would plant-homes continue to grow? Would we eventually stop their growth?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    So no asura but sylvari will run the world? Yeah!

Deleted
    Living houses would be amazing. Though I doubt we'd get rid of tech, shopping malls and churches. I wouldn't be surprised if those were grown somehow too, since no matter how many things you can grow, I doubt we'd be able to grow tvs or computers...

The meat house just makes me think of the Zerg for some reason.

Plant houses would be kinda cool until we realize that due to a genetic mutation or some guys screw up in the lab that they produce a new toxic compound that leaves humans in a drug induced state while the house feeds off you.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTB Sylvari female. I adore the glowing eyes and pointed ears!

not all of them have pointy ears. what about those woodly ones that sprout in multiple directions and look like wood.

not fun to bite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm. Not sure if those houses would be of much use in colder countries...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    Hmmm. Not sure if those houses would be of much use in colder countries...
    You could grow animals and live inside them.

This seems very unlikely, and unrealistic. I, for one, would never live inside of a plant. There's just too many bugs, fungus, germs, etc., that make that unsafe, and unsanitary
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    This seems very unlikely, and unrealistic. I, for one, would never live inside of a plant. There's just too many bugs, fungus, germs, etc., that make that unsafe, and unsanitary
    Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Shadylol on this one. Seems like a very unrealistic goal, and it doesn't surprise me it's set by a designer as opposed to an engineer. Sure, it might happen, but I'd imagine it to be restricted to certain communities or even individual houses - at which point they'll be viewed as eccentrics and potentially outcasts by the rest.

Deleted
    There are bugs inside your own house too. Fungus grows inside your house too, especially in your bathroom, there are germs inside your house too. It's not more unsanitary then a current house.

As for safety, it's only unsafe if the plant starts to die. But... don't do normal houses crack and fall too? And some plants live for hundreads of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think humans are VERY VERY far away in terms of technological capabilities to manipulate genetic material to this extent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    There are bugs inside your own house too. Fungus grows inside your house too, especially in your bathroom, there are germs inside your house too. It's not more unsanitary then a current house.

As for safety, it's only unsafe if the plant starts to die. But... don't do normal houses crack and fall too? And some plants live for hundreads of years.
    Without any facts to back your statement up, it really falls apart. Unless you can cite sources that state a regular modern house contain as much bugs, fungi and germs as a plant house would, it's just like saying "you think the road outside your house is well trafficked? There are cars driving on the autobahn too, it's no more trafficked than your road."

Of course, it goes the other way as well. Shady's statement is just personal opinions and guesswork unless proof is presented.

That's the funny thing about facts.

Sylvari shall dominate the world muahahaha! On topic though this sounds and looks awesome

Deleted
    Bugs, fungus and germs... sure..

Unsafe and unsanitary? On the contrary, people would be far healthier than they are today.

Sterile environments are hazardous beyond belief for our immune system, and with a weak immune system... well yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
    Found this, thought it may interest some of you
    Sorry if already posted.

"The cities of the future will have waste-to-energy plants, not shopping malls or churches, at their centre, according to urban designer Mitchell Joachim of Terreform ONE."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...ability-cities
    This is the kind of random magazine clipping flying around a zombie nuclear wasteland that a child would pick up and have to ask her parent/guardian why none of it happened.

That was what I thought when I first saw it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, yeah, have you ever looked around your real house? I find cockroaches in the house all the time. I definitely have found mold growing in places and had to go on a cleaning spree. And germs? Are you kidding yourself? Germs are all over our houses.

Plant-houses would, in a way, actually be safer and way more sanitary. They could specifically engineer the plant to give off natural bug repellant, assuming they could avoid it being toxic, and it would be resistant to termite damage by virtue of not being wood. Maybe there's other bugs that would try to eat it out there, I guess, but we don't know that.

There's plenty of reasons this is unlikely and unrealistic, but that ain't one of em.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-25 at 01:24 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.