View Poll Results: How many subs will be cancelled by the end of MoP?

Voters
1131. This poll is closed
  • 0 people will have canceled

316 27.94%
  • Less than 500,000

223 19.72%
  • 500,000 - 1,000,000

188 16.62%
  • 1,000,001 - 2,000,000

156 13.79%
  • 2,000,001 - 3,000,000

90 7.96%
  • More than 3,000,000

158 13.97%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    As for how many subs I think will be lost by the end of the expansion, I'd say WoW is definitely going to see a continuing drop off in subs throughout the expansion, not only because the new content does not appeal to everyone, but because there will be so many great alternatives around that offer competitive levels and quality of content but are either free or a one off payment, so I can easily see it lose at least another 3 million by the next expansion.
    mmo jesus will finally smite evil wow confirmed

Deleted
    Hopefully they lose a lot. Especially from Alliance players.

People saying 0 will cancel are living in la-la land. They aren't necessarily bleeding subs, but people always quit at some point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    People saying 0 will cancel are living in la-la land. They aren't necessarily bleeding subs, but people always quit at some point.
    ''Lalalala, I can't hear you, WoW is the best game evur, go play that failure GW2, Lalalalalalala''
    Every fanboy response in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    ''Lalalala, I can't hear you, WoW is the best game evur, go play that failure GW2, Lalalalalalala''
    Every fanboy response in a nutshell.
    Yeah, and look how many people picked "0"....lol. Just because people quit, doesn't mean "it's a failure". They just move on, or resub later. It's the fact with all MMO's, and especially to WoW in the past several years.

Too early to call as the sub losses would mostly depend on the quality, frequency and quantity of patches.
    Too early to even judge the expansion itself.

Personally, I'm kinda bored of this expansion on day one lol... I don't think I'm gonna stick around for much longer.

Yeah, and look how many people picked "0"....lol. Just because people quit, doesn't mean "it's a failure". They just move on, or resub later. It's the fact with all MMO's, and especially to WoW in the past several years.
    The only company that can determine if it's a failure or not is Blizzard's bookeepers. And, sadly yes, even just keeping subs stable at 9 mil might be considered a failure... all depends on what their expenses are... 3 projects + a whole new MMORPG + 2 other expansions + any unknown surprises might mean they need more than 9 mill. This is why companies like Trion and the makers of Everquest and Guild Wars can sit pretty with 2 million as they don't have bloated insane budgets like Blizz does.

To further explain this weird disparity - look no further than the console game Bayonetta - it sold 1.35 million units worldwide... and Platnum Games considered it a failure and nearly closed down as they didn't make any of their money back. Most indie companies would consider 1.35 million an absolute triumph.

The ONLY reason they're still around and a Bayonetta 2 is happening is because Nintendo dropped a lump of cash on them in exchange to make the game exclusive for the Wii-U. If Nintendo didn't happen... the company would've been shut down forever and the license sold off or forgotten.

The only company that can determine if it's a failure or not is Blizzard's bookeepers.
    Financial info for publicly traded companies is publicly available, you can look at the company's financial statements online. Discrepancies between actual financial data and released data would constitute fraud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble... but the sub losses started right from Cata's launch quarter. They didn't just get "bored" of Cata... they hated Cata out the gate.

And need I remind you of Q2 2011's 800k loss, which was the 3 month period when Cataclysm launched in China - which also happened to be the quarter where the most subs lost came FROM CHINA?
    The record breaking sales, and then the record breaking subscription losses never ceased to amaze me.

Which is why I'm positive that the those who did quit are that much more wary of coming back, hence we'll see low sales, and a low initial spike.

And then I'm going to go with another decline, purely because people are just playing other things.

Did you look at the other results? This sample size is predicting a loss by a landslide. And yes, Cataclysm was widely considered a failure, because people quit, regardless of their motives.

WoW's success has always been based off of subscription gains and sales, it only makes sense that it's failures are based off of it's losses.
    Last edited by Conscious; 2012-09-26 at 02:26 AM.

I think too many people look at the expansions alone rather than look at WoW in general. Yes, expansions bring people in (they bring back some people who unsubbed to be precise). But overall the game got old even if Blizzard keeps bringing in improvements. For some people it will not matter but for others it will. Those people will be leaving and the only question is if Blizzard will be able to find new younger demographics to patch the losses. I still regard WoW as the best MMO ever made but I just cant feel the excitement anymore. I played it since 2004. No matter how cool content MoP brings in, it is just all "meh" to me becouse it is still same WoW. So even despite the fact that WoW is the best MMO ever made it does not mean that it is something that I want to play NOW. There are other MMO games on the market. They have the novelty bonus. I didnt played them for several thousand hours. And as of now they are much more enjoyable for me than WoW.

So kudos for WoW for what they did in the past but times are changing and I get hyped and enjoy playing something NEW rather than same old game. Adding new zones, talent systems or abilities does not change the game enough to make it feel like a completly new product. And there are more people like me around the world. And over time it will be more and more difficult for Blizzard to replace those burnt-out people and for younger demographics (people who are like 10 years old atm) WoW may simply not be modern enough. We will see what they will do with Titan. This is not WoW hating. Its just a normal reality. That being said, good luck with MoP for all those who enjoy it.

I voted none because I'm sure there will be more at the end of MoP than at the end of Cata. Therefore, there will be a net gain.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

I hate to be "that guy", but I really don't even understand why people get upset enough to need a zero option. Does it really affect you that much?

WoW is, as far as we know right now, in a state of serious decline. This shouldn't matter whatsoever. If people can enjoy SWTOR, which only has about a million or so subscribers right now, then I'm pretty sure a couple million WoW subscribers will not be a detriment to the WoW community in the slightest.

Again, I hate to be "that guy", but people need to just enjoy the games they play; this isn't sports, no need to riot in the streets because your team is currently taking a hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I vote for 0 people having canceled.
    I agree, I also vote for 1 million. After a million gained when the only other less popular MMO at the moment dies.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    I agree, I also vote for 1 million. After a million gained when the only other less popular MMO at the moment dies.
    You do realize that that only few in between MMO-s really "dies" so far? The biggest fail was probably Tabula Rasa. Star Wars Galaxies died becouse of licensing issues with Lucasarts. Then there was City of Heroes (?) recently. Aside from that, still many games working fine with smaller communities. Look at Rift, working fine, getting a nice expansion right now. EvE Online is running since 2003 and they only have like 300,000 subscribers but that is all they need to keep going. One day some other MMO will surpass WoW in subs number. Will this also mean WoW is "dead"???

Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    I hate to be "that guy", but I really don't even understand why people get upset enough to need a zero option. Does it really affect you that much?

WoW is, as far as we know right now, in a state of serious decline. This shouldn't matter whatsoever. If people can enjoy SWTOR, which only has about a million or so subscribers right now, then I'm pretty sure a couple million WoW subscribers will not be a detriment to the WoW community in the slightest.

Again, I hate to be "that guy", but people need to just enjoy the games they play; this isn't sports, no need to riot in the streets because your team is currently taking a hit.
    Yeah. Agree because I really don't understand that sort of player mentality either.

What interests me is the ATVI stock price; even with the release of MoP it has continued its downward spiral. (http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/atvi) Lots of selling going on which would leave me to believe that some insiders know about MoP pre-sale figures and do not expect a strong showing or up-swing in subscribers. That of course should worry any WoW player as we all know how Bobby K deals with franchises that don't perform for him...

Game wise; well I guess only time will tell if Blizzard actually puts out content at a decent rate, only patch 5.2 will show us for sure. If we see a small 5 or 6 boss single event style like DS or FL where the gear is the content then I believe WoW is doomed as a gamers game and will aimed towards the Facebook/Farmville crowd.

Who knows though; maybe for Blizzard less development work (ie content) and less subscribers could equal more profits. However I foresee a lot more mounts and pets in the Blizzard Store, easy money for Bobby K.

15+ Year Old Account
    it depnds when the "date of checking" is there is nearly always a large drop off of subs just before the build up to the next expac when people get bored of the final raid.

i think a better question would be how many subs will there be at MoP's peak

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I vote for 0 people having canceled.
    Really? You think no one will quit? Even if subs stay at 9 million, thats because some people quit and some people join.

You should say: "I think it will stay at 9 million."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    The record breaking sales, and then the record breaking subscription losses never ceased to amaze me.

Which is why I'm positive that the those who did quit are that much more wary of coming back, hence we'll see low sales, and a low initial spike.

And then I'm going to go with another decline, purely because people are just playing other things.

Did you look at the other results? This sample size is predicting a loss by a landslide. And yes, Cataclysm was widely considered a failure, because people quit, regardless of their motives.

WoW's success has always been based off of subscription gains and sales, it only makes sense that it's failures are based off of it's losses.
    You get a lot of undeserved hate on these forums, while making valid points. Kudos.