Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How did you prepare your dk for MoP?

Well, how did you guys prepare your dk for the crazyness that is MoP?
    Personally i reforged everything into crit and haste ( 2h frost )

Deleted
    crit and haste is the best? I was tempted to stack mastery for higher aoe and burst damage but not sure

Deleted
    Crit and haste for frost, atleast 2h

Reforging? I thought we were supposed to facesmash our way to 90 regardless of stat priority?

Anyways, my daily log is filled up for turn-in with TB and Molten Front quests...
    I got rid of the random crap that sat on my bag for way too long (i.e. Why did I have 3 dragon flanks and some green that I got in some quest in Deepholm 2 years ago??)

I still need to change my other spec to Blood (From UH), with my main being frost. Just in case some quests/scenarios may be safer with a tank-spec.

Deleted
    I have prepared my dk by removing everything worth something from his inventory, excepting the armor on his back and preparing him for collecting dust.

Dks died at the end of wotlk.

Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Poster View Post
    excepting the armor on his back and preparing him for collecting dust.
    Oh, so he's an enchanter? (BADUM-TISH!)

Reforged nothing. Stocked up on titanic flasks and fortune cookies. Emptied my bags and decomissioned my tank set.

Group levelling with a prot pala and possibly a boomkin tonight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Oh, so he's an enchanter? (BADUM-TISH!)
    Ahahahahaha, funny. No, he sold everything to buy kung-fu lessons from a panda.

My Blood DK is sitting on Mastery > Hit/Exp > Haste gear, ready for some dungeon runs, and has 25 daily quests ready to hand in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did nothing, as always. When I log in, I will just casually start questing, maybe once in a while do a dungeon. I will probably have to stash all my items in my bags so I don't have to go to the vendor every 5 minutes.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Crit and haste for frost, atleast 2h
    Crit is, has, and will likely always be garbage for any form of frost dps when compared to either haste or mastery.

For clarification haste > mastery > crit for 2H frost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by burbon View Post
    Crit is, has, and will likely always be garbage for any form of frost dps when compared to either haste or mastery.

For clarification haste > mastery > crit for 2H frost.
    Not according to EJ and Icy Veins

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Not according to EJ and Icy Veins
    Forgive me if I disregard guides posted on either as a source of accurate and reliable information on theory crafting for frost death knights.

That (along with any math or supporting data) aside, understand that crit has so little value to us for several reasons.
    • We have no crit modifiers that give us buffs, procs or any other value like other classes.
    • KM procs so often that it also greatly devalues crit (crit becomes inherently less valuable the more you have).
    • Lastly, even if their data was correct, which I would contend with, the data is based in a single target vacuum, which is not representative of raiding, dungeons, or even pvp if you want to go that route.

EJ's own stat weights put crit ever so slightly ahead of mastery and miles behind haste. Even if that were the case, which again I would dispute, it wouldn't even come close to the benefits of mastery when accounting for target swapping and aoe.
    Last edited by burbon; 2012-09-24 at 07:25 PM.

Burbon, you are aware that with the new hit/expertise caps that as 2H Frost, you are 100% hitcapped for both yellow and white swings with 7.5% hit rating?

That's why Crit is valued higher, Euliat also has confirmed this. Your white swings never missing EVER pushed crit's value higher. KM does devalue crit, but that's why Haste is still so much higher in weight then it is, because Haste increases the chance for a KM proc.

Moreover on the same card, the addition of Soul Reaper increases crit's value more then mastery for both Frost Specs; if you look while crit is still not worth keeping at all for DW, it IS higher in value then it was in 4.3, this is because Soul Reaper isn't affected by Frost's Mastery, but it IS affected by our crit chance outside of KM Procs, better crit means a bigger execute phase, which IS something we have to concern ourselves with now since it isn't just a passive bonus, but an active ability to manage.

Haste still wins in all circumstances, but you don't need to be a math whiz to see why for single target damage - the only damage where stacking specific numbers REALLY matters - Crit is devaluing mastery more, add in the changes to Obliterate and how much HARDER it hits and the fact we never want to waste one, and you can see why approaching a soft 50-60% crit rate or more with it via regular crit and KM procs becomes highly attractive.

AOE is always a story of breaking things down fast, and any fight with sustained AOE en-masse will likely get eclipsed by Dual-Wield and Unholy DKs regardless, because in most 2-target cleave situations, the 2H Frost DK is better off zerging the first of the two in the kill order and bombing him to death with Soul Reaper, not spreading damage out with howling blast.
    Last edited by Murdos; 2012-09-24 at 07:46 PM.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    snip
    Great points all around, although I'm not too sure how being hit capped is any different now than it was before. Assuming you weren't facing the boss we've never missed with either white or yellow attacks before as 2H. This is not new.

With crit and mastery being so close on sources suggesting crit pulls ahead, I still could not justify taking it over mastery. As I mentioned before this is under the assumption that we get 100% uptime on a single target, which is so rare especially in the coming tier.

There are so many fights that require us to either move, target swap, or aoe and in all these cases mastery should prevail as it not only has more utility in these situations, but has the unique value of being consistent. Unlike crit, mastery scales linearly and the damage can always be counted on. From a progression perspective, this is what would matter to me most as a raider, not that I'll be playing dps much this tier.

Ultimately we're in agreement about stacking haste first for 2H, but my initial post was more to clarify that haste and crit were certainly not even in any way.
    Last edited by burbon; 2012-09-24 at 09:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not much yet, i'll probably just clean bags, fix talents. I've been more focused on preparing my computer for the expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    sharpened his sword and prepared stack of bamboo so i can lure silly pandas and decapitate them asap

Deleted
    Well, how did you guys prepare your dk for the crazyness that is MoP?
    4k honor, 4k justice...
    lvl 90 > 2 pc pvp, justice > honor, 2pc pvp... 2+2=4 = rdy for everything...

My point was more why Mastery is losing value for 2H frost. We're not really an AOE spam spec, I'd probably stick with DW Frost for that.

2h Frost is the guy you put on the add you need dead RIGHT NOW.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

is anyone leveling up as blood? I am curious if i should level as blood or just ignore tanking and do it at 90