Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Yes, I think there's more coming, probably some mini-patches as well as expansions. Think they said they plan to bring an expansion per year or something? So if they get us 1 patch every 6 months they'll still have more content then... other games *cough* bring.
    lets see huh ? other games *cough* said they'd have patches at a faster rate, they didn't.
    "Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside."

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    The fact that I picked Borderlands 2 to play does not mean that I do not enjoy GW2 or GW2 is not a good game, it just means there is more than one fun thing in this world and people should not feel like they have to commit to a single game ever.
    Unless it's a Kingdom Hearts game... still haven't had the heart to beat that

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 02:19 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    lets see huh ? other games *cough* said they'd have patches at a faster rate, they didn't.
    Well I guess it's a good thing ANet isn't responsible for other games' *cough* development cycle.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Isn't that kinda the joy of a non subscription based MMO though, that you can feel free to play other games and do other fun things without penalty? I'm the opposite in your first statement, because I'm having absolutely great fun in dungeons with my friends and anticipate it being a long time before I've done every single explorable path, BUT when Borderlands 2 came out I also gave that 25 hours and will definitely be playing that more in the future too. I didn't feel like it was a big deal that I didn't play GW2 as much for a few days because I was enjoying BL2... and for me this is what the future holds, the ability to have a lot of fun with different friends across different games, the ability to pick up content without feeling like I have to commit to a set raiding schedule or let people down if I decide I want to play a different game for a bit.

    The fact that I picked Borderlands 2 to play does not mean that I do not enjoy GW2 or GW2 is not a good game, it just means there is more than one fun thing in this world and people should not feel like they have to commit to a single game ever.
    I'm not entirely sure why you took a philosophical approach. We just came to the conclusion that, since we tend to play games together a few times a week, we all simply couldn't enjoy dungeons in GW2. It was simply a feeling and we all agreed. We all come from hardcore wow vanilla raiding, we cleared and even sold dungeon(s/ runs) when T2 was still hard in Rift (pre-nerf) and we usually play well as a team. Why bother playing GW2 when there's games that are always fun, instead of a game that has fun by exception. That's how we feel. It has nothing to do with how you feel.

  4. #44
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Yesterday, I did a dungeon with friends and we simply came to the conclusion that we were not enjoying ourselves. When you have Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 lying around waiting with buttloads of fun to be had and you're struggling through the current mess that pve dungeons are in GW2, you're going to pick the games that are fun to play without exception. In GW2, The exception is is the rule and having fun the exception.

    So, doesi t have a better future than all those other MMO's that were released the past year(s). Absolutely not, no.
    Well to each his own. I for one find Borderlands (1 and 2) mindnumbingly boring, only have 1 action skill, and simply grinding for more guns that make a different sound.

    But anyway, GW2 has a bright future ahead, just like GW1 had. It's first and foremost a PVP game, just like GW1, with PVE as a nice distraction. GW1 had an awesome run until GW2 came out and is still played.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Well to each his own. I for one find Borderlands (1 and 2) mindnumbingly boring, only have 1 action skill, and simply grinding for more guns that make a different sound.

    But anyway, GW2 has a bright future ahead, just like GW1 had. It's first and foremost a PVP game, just like GW1, with PVE as a nice distraction. GW1 had an awesome run until GW2 came out and is still played.
    Compared to GW1, probably so yes. I just couldn't really filter in the OP's post, what we were comparing with, exactly. The game definitely has a niche with plenty of people to sustain itself.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Not sure why I'm even responding to you, since you're obviously out for blood, VMBOer waarschijnlijk,.... stopped reading here
    Alright, now that's low mate ... really low
    Don't attack people that didn't go to university like their idiot's.

    I am glad your having fun bashing people on dumpert or god knows where your picking that nonsense up.
    Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    But do they have data showing how much fun players are having? Because surely that's what counts. You could have a game where only 1% of players can do the top raid but still everybody's having fun, and you could have a game where 100% of the players see everything but they're all bored and whining and quitting. Fun can't be quantified with straight-up data, and trying to use statistics to measure fun is a dangerous logical minefield.
    "The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

  7. #47
    Bloodsail Admiral Horrid Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Not sure why I'm even responding to you, since you're obviously out for blood, VMBOer waarschijnlijk, but I'll do you the favor. When you normally do a dungeon, play a platform game (like Trine I & II) or even play any Warfare FPS, you have targets and tactics to secure those targets. I don't mind your opinion, but objectively speaking, the dungeons aren't hard. I personally love hard, when it can be overcome by skill and is not caused by bad camera angles, no telegraphing of skills and abilities or abilities that have such a large red circle that the area you are in, is smaller than the outline of that red circle making it impossible to detect that circle.

    GW2 pve dungeons are an orgy of chaos. Hell, if a chaos demon existed, it would live in GW2 dungeons. We don't even die anymore since AC, but it's a tedious experience where all fights are another version of tank and spank, with no tactical hardships besides overpowering damage. Note that I said "We aren't even dying".

    GW2 dungeons are an insult to PvE dungeons world wide. Classic Blackwing Lair raid bosses that still could be failed by level 80 groups due to the mechanics of that encounter, brilliant. No, GW2 has nothing that reflects a proper implementation of a fun grouping experience that's both hard and challenging.
    No need for immature remarks, I'm not out for blood. En ik probeerde serieus niet op je, blijkbaar lange, tenen te trappen. University student by the way.

    I figured, because you wrote "struggling through PvE dungeons" you guys honestly didn't like a challenge. I myself have had nearly no problem with any of the stuff you mentioned. To me the dungeons are just challenging in terms of power the enemies have, not because they are poorly designed. The only thing I would complain about is that the required tactics are indeed simple tank & spank. I love chaos in any game, and I think in general the chaos in GW2 is fairly managable.
    What is worth fighting for?

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    No need for immature remarks, I'm not out for blood. En ik probeerde serieus niet op je, blijkbaar lange, tenen te trappen. University student by the way.

    I figured, because you wrote "struggling through PvE dungeons" you guys honestly didn't like a challenge. I myself have had nearly no problem with any of the stuff you mentioned. To me the dungeons are just challenging in terms of power the enemies have, not because they are poorly designed. The only thing I would complain about is that the required tactics are indeed simple tank & spank. I love chaos in any game, and I think in general the chaos in GW2 is fairly managable.
    It's very exhausting to have to reply to immature remarks all the time. Every time I mention that the dungeons are horrible, people somehow link that to 'lol you suck' or 'lol baddie'. In general they directly shortcircuit their brain and just assume I'm talking about giving up on the presumed difficulty. Your response was no different and just as immature as my response, albeit mine was more direct. The design is poor. Any dungeons released in basically any AAA MMO the last year(s) were a better experience from any point of view. While I think combat, flexibility and freedom of movement are perfect in GW2, I'm not blind to its faults and dungeons are definitely on the fault side of the game.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-09-25 at 12:27 PM.

  9. #49
    Dreadlord Vexies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Posts
    985
    Personally I find the entire experience very refreshing. I think those who struggle with the design are those looking for the classic structured experience they find in traditional MMO's. I am a fan of this as well but I do appreciate GW2 and its take on dungeon / PVE content as well. If you approach it looking for scripted ways to "tackle" content then yes its going to frustrate you to know end but this is one of those learn to play the game issues and not try to force the game to conform to your expectations of what this or that should be but adapting to what is.

    Once you adjust how you play, take advantage of the combo fields and boons and adapt the dungeons are actually quite fun in my opinion. If you dont like em the you dont but id say 60% of peoples issues with them is expecting them to conform to "dungeons" they have played before and expecting to be able to react and play them as they have similar content in the past.

    As far as a future, absolutely. They have more than made their money and GW2 is already a HUGE success for them. Content will follow and the game will expand. I can already see how it can be expanded and there is so much they can build on it will be interesting to see the direction the game takes in the future. It has become my main game and look forward to seeing more of it in the coming months.

  10. #50
    Immortal Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    7,198
    Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    I think in playing it safe and not going too far off the beaten path, GW2 will cement itself a decent legacy.

    Hell was playing WoW for the first time in a few months and tried double-tapping to dodge. Needless to say I didn't get killed as it was a lvl 80 dungeon to help out my girlfriend but damn I had that brief panic thinking "well...life's been good to me so far".

    Also nerf fire elemental event in Metrica Province. Walk in, die, 12 copper, run back, die, 12 copper, run back, die, 12 copper etc etc etc until you're down 2 silver and then YAY chest.
    I've done that as well. Also when back from Aion i kept trying to glide by double tapping jump. Thenwhen back from GW2/RIFT i kept trying to loot with the f button...Made theramore scenario quite the pain also how cumbersome ENH has become.

  11. #51
    Actually i find the present very entertaining, i don't actually bother about the future.
    The more i play, the more i like the game and its mechanics and the less i understand the "it's grindy" party.
    Oh well.
    Judging by the great bunch of artists, developers and designers in Anet, i'm quite positive about what will be next.
    Last edited by Holydorf; 2012-09-25 at 12:20 PM.
    I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar.

    Also:
    Raegwine - Sylvari Elementalist; Caplock - Charr Engineer; Noah Quickfingers - Asura Thief; Amund Stormchaser - Norn Ranger

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    I hit 64 and haven't played in a while. D: There is a lot of little things I like about the game, mostly the story and the neat races, but... I just. Got bored.

    I'm sure there will be something in the future to bring me back.
    Yeah you get to 70 and it gets good again. I hit the 60s and had the same feeling and somehow just pushed through it and once the level 70 personal story hit the game changed for the better.......much better

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    It's very exhausting to have to reply to immature remarks all the time. Every time I mention that the dungeons are horrible, people somehow link that to 'lol you suck' or 'lol baddie'. In general they directly shortcircuit their brain and just assume I'm talking about giving up on the presumed difficulty. Your response was no different and just as immature as my response, albeit mine was more direct. The design is poor. Any dungeon released in basically any AAA MMO the last year(s) were a better experience from any point of view. While I think combat, fexibility and freedom of movement are perfect in GW2, I'm not blind to its faults and dungeons are definitely on the fault side of the game.
    Whilst it's fair to dislike GW2's dungeons, it seems utterly bizarre to say you dislike them, specifically because they're chaotic, then express your enjoyment of Borderlands 2. Borderlands 2 is basically screaming no-tactics chaos writ large. So you dislike screaming no-tactics chaos when it's in GW2, but not BL2? Fair enough, but you understand that that seems pretty strange, right?

    The other thing that seems interesting about your post is that you say you play with a set group of friends who agreed on all this, but GW2 dungeons are for 5 people, and BL2 is a 4-player game at most, so surely one of your friends is forced to sit that out, which surely sucks? Either that or you were having to sub in a non-friend for the GW2 dungeons, or just 4-person'ing them?

    That's interesting to me, because I tried doing the latter two things in a number of other MMOs, and I found that it made them frustrating even if the MMO was otherwise good. I 4-man'd what, all of Classic WoW up to the max-level dungeons, back in the early WoW era, and boy was that painful and unpleasant. Like you say, it wasn't that we were dying, it was that it wasn't a lot of fun, because it was much harder work than 5-person would have been. Similarly, in TBC I had three friends (two different from before) who I played with a lot, and we often had to get "just some guy", and "just some guy" made the whole experience a hell of a lot less fun (TBC dungeons were less practical to 4-man than Classic WoW ones, I'd suggest, early on).

    So if you were trying to do either of those things in GW2, I think that may be the source of your problem, not GW2.

    If you weren't, well, I pity your friend who has to sit out when the rest of you play BL2!

    As for GW2's future, well, it's completely different to other games. Because it's no-sub, even if I get bored after X months, I can come back *every* time there is an interesting patch, every time there is a content expansion, every time there is a festival or the like, without dropping £8+ to see if it's any good, so I suspect I'm likely to play GW2 a lot more than any sub-based MMO I don't adore.

    For the OP, if you burn through the content in three weeks then immediately decide that you are bored, well, you'd do the same to any MMO, so I'm not sure what to say there. The difference is, when GW2 gets more content, you can just come and play it, rather than having to resubscribe. I suspect that this means GW2 will maintain a healthy population for, well, a very very long time. So long that it will probably get killed by technological changes or GW3, not anything else (just as GW1 happily rolled along to now).

  14. #54
    It has a better future... once all "[FR]" realms play against each other, only.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    It has a better future... once all "[FR]" realms play against each other, only.
    And when all de realms stop cooperating to defeat a much stronger (whichever it is) third realm and start playing fair.

  16. #56
    Dynamic events, exploration, WvW (when you have a decent FPS), sPvP, crafting disciplines, etc... are all fun. But I must agree with Vespian here. Dungeons in Gw2 are probably the worst experience I ever had in an MMO. Worse than WAR and AoC. And I'm not the only one, all my friends hate them and we are all decent gamers. Clusterfuck is the best word to describe my experience. Camera bugs are also extremely annoying.

    It's a little bit sad because dungeons are a huge part of the PvE experience. Vespian and me are not the only one in this boat. I'm sure at least 50-70% of players hate them.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    Dynamic events, exploration, WvW (when you have a decent FPS), sPvP, crafting disciplines, etc... are all fun. But I must agree with Vespian here. Dungeons in Gw2 are probably the worst experience I ever had in an MMO. Worse than WAR and AoC. And I'm not the only one, all my friends hate them and we are all decent gamers. Clusterfuck is the best word to describe my experience. Camera bugs are also extremely annoying.

    It's a little bit sad because dungeons are a huge part of the PvE experience. Vespian and me are not the only one in this boat. I'm sure at least 50-70% of players hate them.
    Don't get me wrong, I can see why a lot of people don't like the dungeons - and there are a few fixes I'd like to see go out, and they've said they're working on it. That said, when I hear 'complete clusterfuck' what I'm really thinking is that you just don't fully understand what's going on in the instance, and how to work with your teammates to manage the chaos.

    It's cool though, not everyone has to like it.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Suffux View Post
    I wouldn't say i powered through anything lol... i play around 3-5 hours a day =/
    I have about 150 hours on my Necromancer, and I don't have any dungeon gear at all yet. Not due to lack of trying, but because I refuse to exploit dungeons, and I don't just run dungeons all day. I do other things, too. I also don't have 100% of the map yet, I'm at about 40%. I've barely touched WvW, because I'm usually farming stuff for crafting, doing a dungeon, or working on a map/personal story. I just don't see how you could have all you claim you have with only 3-5 hours a day to play.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Suffux View Post
    To start off, I would like to say that I love gw2 so far but It feels like something is missing at level80... i've gotten 100% world exploration and full armor/weapon sets in 3 dungeons so far. I've played WvWvW a lot but I feel theres something missing from the pve aspect of the game. I'm not asking that i want raids but something needs to be added so we can use our awesome looking exotics to use instead of just running around lion archs showing off. My question is do you feel like arenanet will add in more things to do at level80 in the future?
    Sounds like you need to go out and get some fresh air instead of ask for more gaming content, no really shut the computer off and go outside.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 03:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazaxist View Post
    Bought GW2 - played for 1 hour, never played anymore.. wts account ;D
    Good thing you really gave it a chance, it's your money though...
    When in doubt, mumble...

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    I have about 150 hours on my Necromancer, and I don't have any dungeon gear at all yet. Not due to lack of trying, but because I refuse to exploit dungeons, and I don't just run dungeons all day. I do other things, too. I also don't have 100% of the map yet, I'm at about 40%. I've barely touched WvW, because I'm usually farming stuff for crafting, doing a dungeon, or working on a map/personal story. I just don't see how you could have all you claim you have with only 3-5 hours a day to play.
    He's lying.

    or it's more like 13-15 hours per day...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •