Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have the demo downloaded but at work now. Will try it when I get home. Hope they have a setting like the original. Would suck for the remake of such a great game to be easy mode.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    I hope you can destroy key points and have 7 floors of building crash down at once as in XCOM-3, was such a good time

10+ Year Old Account
    Xcom, one of my favorite games ever, I'm sure I'll prepurchase it too. Just need to wait for payday so I can afford too.

---------- Post added 2012-09-26 at 01:33 PM ----------

Video time.

Five parts up, so far.

Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-09-26 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Downloading now.

Just watched video of the demo and I can already see two things that completely ruin the creepy-factor from the original. I hope these are only in the demo.
    1) Even in nighttime missions, unexplored terrain is relatively illuminated, not blacked out.
    2) Aliens jump at you to greet you instead of shooting suddenly from the darkness scaring the shit out of you.
    Again, I hope these things were only added for the demo.
    Actually to add to this was Alien Movement turn where you were blind. Just being blind but hearing footsteps, doors opening and closing, and hearing people dying adds to the creepiness factor a lot.

My overall impression was a positive one though.

I really missed the blackened areas when you land and I am not sure if there is line of sight anymore. I personally would like to see night missions like they were with limited visibility and having to use electro flares to light up areas where many times enemy fire is coming from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished the demo. Quite a bit of fun actually. Looking forward to the full game.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    Actually to add to this was Alien Movement turn where you were blind. Just being blind but hearing footsteps, doors opening and closing, and hearing people dying adds to the creepiness factor a lot.

My overall impression was a positive one though.

I really missed the blackened areas when you land and I am not sure if there is line of sight anymore. I personally would like to see night missions like they were with limited visibility and having to use electro flares to light up areas where many times enemy fire is coming from.
    IGN (iirc) has an hour of playtime and Q&A with the devs from like a month ago. There were alien turns, footsteps, line of sight issues, and hearing humans being slaughtered.

I just finished the demo as well and noticed one thing. Aliens move when it's not their turn? Huh?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    I just finished the demo as well and noticed one thing. Aliens move when it's not their turn? Huh?
    Aliens care not for your flippant turn-based ruleset!

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Hahahah!

@Howard -> Do they move when it isn't their turn, or are they reacting to your movement like you can set your guys to react to Aliens Movement? (I'm not DLing/Playing the Demo because I want the game fresh at release)

Deleted
    Haven't downloaded the demo yet but I'm thinking about it, got a billion games to play right now. I played the original XCOM on the Amiga somewhere in the 90s, 94 or 95 I guess? And then at least 2 versions later on the PC in the late 90s but don't remember their names... then forgot about the game totally until a few weeks ago.

The only reason I haven't pre-ordered it yet is because I'm already playing 4 or 5 different games and I'm not entirely sure how many I can manage at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Haven't downloaded the demo yet but I'm thinking about it, got a billion games to play right now. I played the original XCOM on the Amiga somewhere in the 90s, 94 or 95 I guess? And then at least 2 versions later on the PC in the late 90s but don't remember their names... then forgot about the game totally until a few weeks ago.

The only reason I haven't pre-ordered it yet is because I'm already playing 4 or 5 different games and I'm not entirely sure how many I can manage at once.
    Im playing GW2, EVE, Borderlands2 and waiting on Xcom and Dishonored. It is going to be a gaming holiday season for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Sigh... and then they say it's the government's fault that they are badly integrated in our society

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    @Howard -> Do they move when it isn't their turn, or are they reacting to your movement like you can set your guys to react to Aliens Movement? (I'm not DLing/Playing the Demo because I want the game fresh at release)
    Well in the original XCOM aliens and players alike could do "reaction fire" if they had enough time units left over at the end of their previous turn. So they could shoot, but could never run around outside their turn.

I was quite sleepy while playing the new demo, but I'm pretty sure during my turn some aliens saw me and ran into cover, accompanied by a short cinematic. I'm thinking it might just have been a scripted thing in the demo to show off the cinematic, though.

@Shamanic: check your inbox already, girl!

It's more just a way of showing their reaction to you arriving on the scene, they move into cover, then stop from what I've seen so far, normally going into an overwatch mode.

I guess there was a lot of players of the old school X-Com, who complained about aliens just shooting their troops dead without ever being seen to get this added in, or perhaps it was testers who disliked them remaining cloaked until a direct visual was made. Nothing worse than landing at a terror site, your plasma tank moving out one square and getting hit by 3 lots of heavy plasma fire and exploding next to your troops, without a single alien being sighted. Even worse was when you tried to move a soldier forwards, he got shot and died, then moved another forwards to a different spot and the same happened again. You could lose a whole squad to an invisible enemy on harder difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    It's more just a way of showing their reaction to you arriving on the scene, they move into cover, then stop from what I've seen so far, normally going into an overwatch mode.

I guess there was a lot of players of the old school X-Com, who complained about aliens just shooting their troops dead without ever being seen to get this added in, or perhaps it was testers who disliked them remaining cloaked until a direct visual was made. Nothing worse than landing at a terror site, your plasma tank moving out one square and getting hit by 3 lots of heavy plasma fire and exploding next to your troops, without a single alien being sighted. Even worse was when you tried to move a soldier forwards, he got shot and died, then moved another forwards to a different spot and the same happened again. You could lose a whole squad to an invisible enemy on harder difficulties.
    You speak of this like it's a bad thing! It was a terrifying thing, and that's what made it so great! The tactical game in the original X-Com was almost like a Slasher film, and I loved it. That's the part of the game that's largely missing from XCOM.

Deleted
    @Shamanic: check your inbox already, girl!
    My apologies, I'm a bad person.... I get distracted easily. I'll reply to you now

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    You speak of this like it's a bad thing! It was a terrifying thing, and that's what made it so great! The tactical game in the original X-Com was almost like a Slasher film, and I loved it. That's the part of the game that's largely missing from XCOM.
    Not a great thing in my opinion. Losing your whole team without getting out of the front door just meant you'd rage then reload. Unless you were doing a no-reload run, in which case it was basically game over. I can see why they wouldn't encourage it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    Agreed. I guess it's a matter of taste, but things like these made the original game for me.

Move soldier one square. Beam out of nowhere shoots him in the face. Holy shit, where did that come from?! That's when you get scared

Never played the other XCOM's but after playing the demo I am really psyched.

I just hope for the high price it has a lot of gameplay, even though I ended up shelling out something like $30 off a different site :P

Been waiting months for this, huge fan of the series and own all the previous x-com games. The stuff I have seen from Firaxis so far looks good, it seems like they have really tried to keep what made the original x-com good and improve on it's weaker areas.

I remember playing the shit outta the original back in the 90s so couldn't wait to play the demo just now, took about 1hr and I can say its really good.