Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

People that don't own pets won't understand what it's like.. They'll say 'it's just a dog, get another' but not realize it's not that simple. I lost my first dog when he was not quite 12 years old; it was a real nice day in June, sunny in the morning, not too hot. Storm rolled in in the afternoon. My dog was so scared of thunder, so we had to get him inside. He shut down on the porch, stumbled into the house, staggered through the kitchen into the living room and laid down in front of the front door, where he often slept. He just.. died. No warning. He was fine in the morning and in the afternoon, he was gone.. and it hurt like hell. It hurt. Like. Hell. I'm pretty sure that was the only time I saw my dad cry. Dogs are much better people than actual people are. Some people will never understand.

I did get another dog and I love my boy to bits and pieces. He's had all kinds of problems but I love him to death anyway; he's as close to a child as I'll ever have. I know he's not going to live forever but just the thought of it is hard to bear.

Go through the process. It's normal to grieve for a dog. They are family, too.

I think why losing a pet hurts so much is because you raise that animal, much like a parent with a child. In life we expect that we will have grandparents die, and then our parents die, and then maybe siblings, etc. But you never expect to bury your child(ren) and I think that feeling can extend to a pet. For its whole life, that animal relied on you to be there to feed it, etc. Having a pet gives people a sense of purpose, that animal needed you. Take care of your sister right now, and maybe when its time, you can find another dog. While it wont replace the dog you lost, it might help bring back some happiness.

I'm really sorry it breaks my heart just to picture this all taking place. Seeing them hysterically flail around like that when hit by a car is just heart breaking. Condolences go out to you and I am sorry for your loss. I always find it so hard to lose a pet especially a close companion such as a dog.

im sorry for your lost..
    i understand how you feel..

last year my dog got ran over outside my house, i didn't see it nor did the person stop.
    My friends just came over to pick me up one night and when i went outside i saw a dog on the floor on the side of the road,
    straight away i knew it was mine. i screamed for her and ran over there.
    but when i went up close i knew she was gone. I dropped to my knees and didnt know what to do.
    i stayed there by her side and didnt know what to do. i called my sister and she started crying hysterically.
    A motorist drove past and saw me and knew i couldnt pick her off the road so he offered to do it.
    I put her inside a box and cremated her the next day.

i still cant get the image out of my head, what pain she must of went through.
    even though she was just a dog i loved her. i had her for about 14years.

and yeah i just wanted to vent as well.
    never actually talked about how i felt that night to anybody.
    i was the only person who saw my dog that way.

that sucks, whether you like or dislike a dog or not, after that long of being part of the family, it's part of the family. we have a worthless, smell, slobbery english bulldog that pretty much sleeps and eats then sleeps some more, but when he's gone in a couple of years (they don't live long anyway) it's gonna feel empty

just don't rush out and buy a replacement, won't help and you may realize you don't want another dog later and there are around 500,000 stray dogs in the USA alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    My condolences on your loss.

I hear ya, dogs are loyal companions unlike most humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to hear about your loss, OP. It's a huge blow to lose a good companion. Many people have lost pets, I know I have, so people understand how sad that is. It's ok to be sad about it. Some of the best advice I got when my pets died was to try and get a new dog sooner rather than later. It won't be the same friend you had, and you can always remember your dog fondly, but having a new bundle of fur helps ease some of that pain. You can always make new friends while still cherishing your old ones.

I'm really sorry to hear that man. I haven't had a dog in a while but I want one really bad because I know just how great they are. Sounds like she had a pretty full life, you guys must have been good owners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Sucks to hear, I love my dog and would need to talk about it as well.
    Lost a dog that way as well it sucks the asshole didn't even bother to stop which was probably a good thing cause I was really upset and would have probably done something I would have regretted.

):

Its a horrible feeling, I didn't realise how attached I was to my do either until I had to carry his dead limp body through the house into the backyard to bury him. Holding him wishing he wasn't dead was just horrible. Ugh ):

What breed of dog was it ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamap001 View Post
    Troll, first off you say my dog then later you reply to her as it, as a person who has had to put my dog of 12 years to sleep this week I can tell you I would never speak of any of my pet's as it. This is nothing more than a cry for attention. Go to the bar, go out to the club, do something more than troll forums with shitty boo hoo stories till mop hits. Your an ass hole and thanks for making me cry thinking of my best friend i had to put to sleep.
    See, this is why the OP had to put up so many barriers saying "I know no one will care". Because some people inevitably jump on others any time they smell someone they can prey on. It's a defense mechanism that people have unfortunately had to adopt because of people like you. The truth is lots of people care, but they still have to protect themselves against those who use the internet as their personal playground to do and say whatever they want.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-09-25 at 05:19 AM.

You need to vent it out, it helps. I lost my dog ive had for 20 years a few weeks ago but you jsut have to stay strong and be the best you can under the circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    THat sucks man. Take solace in knowing it lived a good life with you and your sister. I had lost a dog to a car when I was like 4 or 5. I was sad, but I was kinda too young to really understand it.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lost my dog two years ago. He was a good old boxer boy and I called him into the bathroom to give him a bath (like I always do, knowing he woudn't come or would come and would hover outside the room). He walked in, looked at me, and very quietly got into the tub. I knew he woudn't make it through the weekend, and I begged my dad for us to postpone our trip to handle some of my medical stuff until Monday. We flew to California, and that night he died, alone. I don't think my dad has ever forgiven himself for dismissing me, and I wish I could relieve him of that pain.

Worst feeling in the world. All I can tell you is that the pain never goes away, but you just learn to fill it with the happy memories and knowing what a good life they had and how much better they made yours.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2012-09-25 at 05:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    ):

Its a horrible feeling, I didn't realise how attached I was to my do either until I had to carry his dead limp body through the house into the backyard to bury him. Holding him wishing he wasn't dead was just horrible. Ugh ):
    Burying pets in the yard is illegal here in the US :-/
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Burying pets in the yard is illegal here in the US :-/
    Really nice man. Seriously? Well cart me away because I buried my dog in my yard under a cherry sapling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man... I love my dog so much, I have nightmares about him in pain, or getting in some fatal accident. It scares me, I can't imagine how you must feel.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Really nice man. Seriously? Well cart me away because I buried my dog in my yard under a cherry sapling.
    My cat has a grave in my backyard.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Field Marshal RagequitTheShaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone has ever had a pet such as a dog, or anything that they care deeply about. They know how hard it is to lose them, and can unfortunately relate. Sorry to hear man.