Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
  1. #121
    I've randomly and very slowly played the Rift lite version. I like the game so far. If I wasn't so deeply involved with WoW/Warcraft (the original games and then WoW from vanilla onwards) then I'd consider it. But I don't want to pay another sub fee. I enjoyed Star Wars as well but quit as I didn't want to pay another sub fee. The reason I am enjoying GW2 so much is that I buy it and it's free to play now.

    But I pay attention to Rift and they seem like they are doing an outstanding job. Good for them and their players. Hopefully they have a positive effect on the gaming community.

  2. #122
    Warchief theWocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,148
    The reason for Rift 2.0 in my opinion is to get people who tried the game before to try it again and keep them - as well as attract new players of course.

    I am sure that most of us that played since beta are amazed at how much more polished the game has become in the last 10 patches.

    Hence, I think the main reason for this expansion is not as "an expansion" for existing customers, but as "World, say hello to Rift 2.0 and see how an expansion is supposed to be". It's more of a re-launch of Rift than merely an expansion.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-30 at 07:01 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Recursiv View Post
    No it's an attempt at making their game profitable again. They very much need the extra bang with their expac.
    Companies that are not profitable don't get investors who are willing and eager to put us$100 million into their company.
    ★ twitter @WockyCC ★ blog wockycc.tumblr.comyou-tube: Wocky GAMING
    Recent Video ★ Enter the Wocky: an introduction
    Partner/Member of the CURSE "Union for Gamers" YouTube Gaming Network | ★ Wocky's Computer Specs: HERE
    #WOCKSTER Gaming CommunitySteam Games List"


  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Revak View Post
    I've randomly and very slowly played the Rift lite version. I like the game so far. If I wasn't so deeply involved with WoW/Warcraft (the original games and then WoW from vanilla onwards) then I'd consider it. But I don't want to pay another sub fee. I enjoyed Star Wars as well but quit as I didn't want to pay another sub fee. The reason I am enjoying GW2 so much is that I buy it and it's free to play now.
    I think this is the case for a lot of MMOs with sub fees. Specifically in contrast to the mega popularity of World of Warcraft. There are just not 9 million players willing to pay for more than one game monthly. Very understandable.

    Hartsman hinted at some kind of expansion of Rift lite. Not sure if that is a F2P or freemium option down the road. I do think it is an eventuality that the majority of games in the MMO genre will transition out of strictly P2P. It's just not sustainable across the increasing number of games out there.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-30 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Do you have any evidence that it's unprofitable? Or are you just making wild assertions. Because this is absolutely in line with how they've been working on the game since launch.
    I read that they are just above breaking even, however that wasn't the focus on my point. My point was they NEED to make a big bang to stay secure with their current position in the MMO market. As soon as an early(relatively, dont interpret as brand new) MMO starts slipping it is very very hard for them to get back up. This is their attempt at keeping steady, I wasn't insinuating that they are slipping already. I hope that makes sense.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-30 at 01:43 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I think this is the case for a lot of MMOs with sub fees. Specifically in contrast to the mega popularity of World of Warcraft. There are just not 9 million players willing to pay for more than one game monthly. Very understandable.
    You make a good point, and I think this is why there is such a competitive nature among the MMO communities. Most games don't have to compete for constant subs, MMOs do.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    TRION are on the verge of releasing an expansion and three other games and are broke? :S

    On a more serious and interesting note, did anyone notice that since Elrar made his last appearance (with his detective work), a lot of our regulars have vanished?

    I won't come and say it outright but I think he slipped them a little more than just his wishes for a good day....
    If he did, it's news to me. If I were playing an NDA game/beta, I'd probably be posting more often than usual, just to keep up appearances.

  6. #126
    Dreadlord Primalthirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    If he did, it's news to me. If I were playing an NDA game/beta, I'd probably be posting more often than usual, just to keep up appearances.
    Well if I did I'd be all evasive and wouldn't comment on anything I'd seen while testing. So for instance I might comment on PA changes or levelling if I hadn't done it but you wouldn't catch me talking about the Tempest or game mechanic changes.

  7. #127
    Regardless folks, I meant it as a joke, if you are in an NDA beta test, have fun, if you aren't well, have fun whatever your doing anyway :P
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    TRION are on the verge of releasing an expansion and three other games and are broke? :S

    On a more serious and interesting note, did anyone notice that since Elrar made his last appearance (with his detective work), a lot of our regulars have vanished?

    I won't come and say it outright but I think he slipped them a little more than just his wishes for a good day....
    I'm still here. /sadface

  9. #129
    What would have been nice is if Elrar would have answered me about the Open Beta comments made during PAX considering I posted twice, once here and once on the official forums.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Recursiv View Post
    I read that they are just above breaking even, however that wasn't the focus on my point. My point was they NEED to make a big bang to stay secure with their current position in the MMO market. As soon as an early(relatively, dont interpret as brand new) MMO starts slipping it is very very hard for them to get back up. This is their attempt at keeping steady, I wasn't insinuating that they are slipping already. I hope that makes sense.
    Please please please provide a source for where you read they are breaking even. It is more than likely some guess based off some other guesswork that someone based off a guess, and at least one of those guesses was way off the mark. Trion is privately owned and their private investors have no problem handing them money. That tells me they make money. If you read anything about them breaking even, it probably had something to do with them spending the profits from Rift on three other games that are currently in development. That tells me Rift must be pretty damn profitable if it affords them enough money to be developing 3 games at once while still developing SL, so that's really 4 games at once.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    That tells me Rift must be pretty damn profitable if it affords them enough money to be developing 3 games at once while still developing SL, so that's really 4 games at once.
    Well we do got some general numbers

    50mil to make the game over like 3-4 years.
    They made 100 mil off Rift alone
    A article say Trion secured another 100mil in funding + signed some massive deal with a Chinese publisher

    Then add in the devs for Defiance and End of Nations paying Trion to use their platform.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  12. #132
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I'm hoping others take notice, but nobody seems to have the courage to attempt to match their content release rate so I doubt anyone could match their expansion size (especially while proving regular content updates).

    Honestly, I don't think anyone else out there can do what Trion does. Period. I'd love for their kind of mentality where they treat players awesomely and deliver an insanely awesome product for the sub fee, to bleed over to other developers. But it's damn hard to do and I'd be surprised if most other devs could come close.
    This, pretty much. Most of the industry is hyped about free-to-play and microtransactions still. A lot of customers as well as industry people kind of look at non-wow subscription MMOs as something archaic so it's hard to get them over the fence to see what it's like. Even if the product is as well-designed, placed, maintained and built as RIFT is.

    If you wanted skill-based PvP, why didn't you start playing DotA?
    GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •