Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Please help me with my WD

Hi guys, I am having issues being able to solo the Skelly King on inferno. I know this is the first boss but I am having all types of issues alone. Can someone suggest a build or tips? My gear is all yellows and my DPS according to a couple of friends is up to par. Anything will help at this point.. Please reach out to me before I start breaking things

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant fail with this:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dTY!YTU!acaZZc

Don't stand in melee with him but also don't stand too far away that way you avoid the teleport and the whirlwind/cleave.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2012-09-25 at 01:27 PM.

I'll give it a shot! Thank you for your time. I have a lot of the same in my build minus the pets because everywhere I read it says pets get smashed in inferno
    Last edited by Blackeyecycle; 2012-09-25 at 01:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeyecycle View Post
    I'll give it a shot! Thank you for your time. I have a lot of the same in my build minus the pets because everywhere I read it says pets get smashed in inferno
    Since the patch, our pets can survive Inferno just fine so don't be reluctant to use them. Could you link your profile? That would help alot. Also, if you are EU poke me and I can help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroterror View Post
    Since the patch, our pets can survive Inferno just fine so don't be reluctant to use them. Could you link your profile? That would help alot. Also, if you are EU poke me and I can help out.
    I don't play EU, but thank you for the offer. Do you agree with the build posted above? I'll link my profile as soon as I can make it to my PC. Pain in the ass to pull it up on the iPhone I'm glad to hear you say that because I did enjoy having my goofy lookin pet dude. I was using the cleave tune and he was pretty solid at holding agrro until I started dumping.

Deleted
    I don't play EU, but thank you for the offer. Do you agree with the build posted above? I'll link my profile as soon as I can make it to my PC. Pain in the ass to pull it up on the iPhone I'm glad to hear you say that because I did enjoy having my goofy lookin pet dude. I was using the cleave tune and he was pretty solid at holding agrro until I started dumping.
    It's pretty good, yeah, but I use a slighty different one.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dTY!YeU!acaYaa

However, for that specific fight I would recommend this build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dTY!aeU!acZYZa

Firebomb to trigger Vision Quest and for the adds.
    Spam the boss with bears until you go out of mana.
    Save Spirit Walk for when you really need it to avoid damage.
    Use Soul Harvest smartly on the adds such that to get as many stacks as possible.
    Your pets should always be off-cooldown when they die and make sure they are not on cooldown when you start the fight.
    Spirit Vessel is a life-saver, Jungle Fortitude helps if your resistances are not high and Vision Quest is needed to help with bear spam.

Note: Keep in mind that when the Gargantuan enrage ends, if you re-summon it while it's alive, the new one will enrage again You can do this to get a boost at the start!
    Last edited by mmoc7ab70ad4bb; 2012-09-25 at 03:38 PM.

It's pretty good, yeah, but I use a slighty different one.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dTY!YeU!acaYaa

However, for that specific fight I would recommend this build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dTY!aeU!acZYZa

Firebomb to trigger Vision Quest and for the adds.
    Spam the boss with bears until you go out of mana.
    Save Spirit Walk for when you really need it to avoid damage.
    Use Soul Harvest smartly on the adds such that to get as many stacks as possible.
    Your pets should always be off-cooldown when they die and make sure they are not on cooldown when you start the fight.
    Spirit Vessel is a life-saver, Jungle Fortitude helps if your resistances are not high and Vision Quest is needed to help with bear spam.

Note: Keep in mind that when the Gargantuan enrage ends, if you re-summon it while it's alive, the new one will enrage again You can do this to get a boost at the start!
    Great info, thank you so much! Is there a way for me to post my profile discreetly? You know.. Without linking directly from inside of my account?

Deleted
    Great info, thank you so much! Is there a way for me to post my profile discreetly? You know.. Without linking directly from inside of my account?
    Not really. The only thing that you will be giving away to potential strangers is your battletag. If you don't want to do this you can just take a screenshot of your profile while in your browser and 'erase' your battletag or just list your stats:

Int:
    Crit Chance:
    Crit Dmg:
    Armor:
    Attack Speed:
    All Resistance:
    Magic Find:
    Health:
    Health Regen:
    Mana:
    Mana Regen:
    DPS:

Not really. The only thing that you will be giving away to potential strangers is your battletag. If you don't want to do this you can just take a screenshot of your profile while in your browser and 'erase' your battletag or just list your stats:

Int:
    Crit Chance:
    Crit Dmg:
    Armor:
    Attack Speed:
    All Resistance:
    Magic Find:
    Health:
    Health Regen:
    Mana:
    Mana Regen:
    DPS:
    I didn't get a chance to play last night so I havent made any changes. This is what I was rolling with prior to the advice given to me in this thread. I know I am lacking in some areas but I just don't have the funds to get omega geared off the AH. This is my first and only Diablo character.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/T.../hero/25737268

Deleted
    I didn't get a chance to play last night so I havent made any changes. This is what I was rolling with prior to the advice given to me in this thread. I know I am lacking in some areas but I just don't have the funds to get omega geared off the AH. This is my first and only Diablo character.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/T.../hero/25737268
    It's just a gear issue. You can easily replace almost all your gear with cheap but better items. Look for the following and sort by lowest price:
    Belt/Boots/Shoulders: Int/Vit/All Res
    Bracers/Gloves: Int/Vit/All Res/Crit Chance (Skip Crit chance or try crit damage on gloves if too expensive)
    Chest (!!): Int/Vit/All Res/Sockets (2-3)
    Pants: Int/Vit/All Res/Socket (1-2)
    Ring: Int/Vit/All Res/Crit chance or dmg
    Weapon: Int/Crit dmg/socket (even a 700dps weapon with these stats will be much better than what you have)
    Mojo: Should pull you through but if you find one with 300+ dmg, 100+ int and any crit for cheap then take it
    Helm: Int/All Res/Crit/Socket
    Amu: Int/Vit/All Res/Crit dmg

If you have a few hundred k then you should be able to get alot of upgrades. I think I had around 300 all res when I was doing Act 1 so if you reach that at some point then you can skip all res on the other items. Easiest way to get alot of resistance is chests/pants/shoulders/belt/boots because those slots can't have any other dps boosting stats therefore the prices go up as the item's stats go up.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Necrolicious said with 300 Res All you should be more than okay for act I, and all res is best gotten on Chest, Pants, Shoulders, and Belt. Boots if you can find boots with high int/vit/12% movement speed and res all for cheap but I consider the 12% movement and high int more important than res all on that slot. Which leaves you room for crit and/or crit damage on gloves, bracers, ammy, weapon, offhand and rings.

Try searching for those things on the AH and sort by time left on auction. Check the ones with the shortest time left and try to snipe with a low bid. It's the cheapest way to gear but requires patience. Also check for low buyout pieces, not everyone knows the right price of items and there's often very good deals for cheap up on the AH.

Splinters vs Leaping Spiders. I was a long time believer of Splinters as well but after patch I switched to Leaping Spiders and they're amazing. Their damage is good, and they have the benefit of resetting Vision Quest timer as long as they're up - every time they hit it resets the timer. Further they're fire and forget, very good for fighting dangerous boss packs around corners or on the run. I'd definitely say give both a go and see which you like best.

Spirit Vessel is a good choice if you really have problems dying but Grave Injustice is amazing. It lowers the cooldowns on your pets and Spirit Walk (invest in some increased pick up radius - Thing of the Deep offhand is nice for a start) and offers you loads of survivibility. Pets dying? No problem most of the time you have them back instantly.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2012-09-27 at 05:46 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Spirit Vessel is a good choice if you really have problems dying but Grave Injustice is amazing. It lowers the cooldowns on your pets and Spirit Walk (invest in some increased pick up radius - Thing of the Deep offhand is nice for a start) and offers you loads of survivibility. Pets dying? No problem most of the time you have them back instantly.
    What bugs me with that passive is that the only stuff I might have issues with are elites. So unless they have illusionist or horde affix I don't see how Grave Injustice can be useful =/

10+ Year Old Account
    What bugs me with that passive is that the only stuff I might have issues with are elites. So unless they have illusionist or horde affix I don't see how Grave Injustice can be useful =/
    Grave Injustice makes certain you have a pet reset available on champion packs. I do see your point a little but the whole point of Grave Injustice is to have a near 100% up time of pets.

I smashed the Skelly King last night with the suggested build. I did upgrade my bracers as they were lacking big time. You guys have been a great help, thank you kindly. Great to see I am on the right path. People are constantly complaining about D3 but I am enjoying myself. It may have something to with me not being hardcore. I play when I can & I don't see me being able to clear inferno alone any time soon. I do enjoy the challenge of slowly gearin up to tackle the new area.

As you guys can see from my profile, I like to use Acid Cloud with Lob Blob Bomb. Is this weaker then using the frogs? I also prefer Firebomb with Flashfire over the Darts/Splinters. Are these more of play style type choices or are some clearly better than others?
    Last edited by Blackeyecycle; 2012-09-27 at 03:02 PM.

Deleted
    I smashed the Skelly King last night with the suggested build. I did upgrade my bracers as they were lacking big time. You guys have been a great help, thank you kindly. Great to see I am on the right path. People are constantly complaining about D3 but I am enjoying myself. It may have something to with me not being hardcore. I play when I can & I don't see me being able to clear inferno alone any time soon. I do enjoy the challenge of slowly gearin up to tackle the new area.

As you guys can see from my profile, I like to use Acid Cloud with Lob Blob Bomb. Is this weaker then using the frogs? I also prefer Firebomb with Flashfire over the Darts/Splinters. Are these more of play style type choices or are some clearly better than others?
    Firebomb and Darts are just a choice depending on your play style. However, I think you don't really need 3 damage abilities. Acid Cloud and Bears are used for heavy damage and AoE and have a high mana cost so I think it's a bit of a 'waste' to use both of them. I used to use Acid Cloud but then I tried out Bears and liked them more so the choice between those two depends on your play style but having both is something I would try to change.
    You could try out using a DPS cooldown in the place of one of those spells like the Fetishes or the Voodoo. I mean you could surely use the boost! Additionally, since I see that you have the 'Death is Life' rune you can try out using the Gruesome Feast passive! Those two combined is just OP! I remember taking a screenshot after killing a bunch of mobs just to remember the INSANE amount of health globes on the ground.

Inferno gets easier as you farm more and more even if you are with the exact same gear. That is because you learn which mobs are dangerous and what kind of abilities they have and how to avoid them. I went to do Pony level yesterday and wanted to get some stacks first. I went to Festering Woods and killed some elites and I was like "Is this Inferno???!!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Gratz, and great you are still enjoying yourself. As Necroterror said two damaging spells is enough, and it's a matter of choice. Acid Cloud with Lob Blob or Acid Rain with Flashfire is better AoE than Splinters/Leaping Spiders with Zombie Bears hence why a lot of people prefer it for Paragon XP farming. I myself prefer Zombie bears as they're much better against elite packs. That's the main weakness of Acid Cloud with Flashfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Gratz, and great you are still enjoying yourself. As Necroterror said two damaging spells is enough, and it's a matter of choice. Acid Cloud with Lob Blob or Acid Rain with Flashfire is better AoE than Splinters/Leaping Spiders with Zombie Bears hence why a lot of people prefer it for Paragon XP farming. I myself prefer Zombie bears as they're much better against elite packs. That's the main weakness of Acid Cloud with Flashfire.
    IMO bears is the only option for most players. I've heard that acid cloud can work with superb gear, but it's just too slow in my experience... And I have about 60k base damage which can go up over 100k with buffs, not to mention ~25% additional damage vs. elites from a SoJ. So you'd seriously have to have, I'm guessing, 100-150k base char sheet damage to even think about using cloud to farm paragon. Elite packs simply take forever otherwise.

The problem with this, of course, is that to use bears you need decent vit / AR. For beginning WDs this can pose a problem.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trotheus View Post
    IMO bears is the only option for most players. I've heard that acid cloud can work with superb gear, but it's just too slow in my experience... And I have about 60k base damage which can go up over 100k with buffs, not to mention ~25% additional damage vs. elites from a SoJ. So you'd seriously have to have, I'm guessing, 100-150k base char sheet damage to even think about using cloud to farm paragon. Elite packs simply take forever otherwise.

The problem with this, of course, is that to use bears you need decent vit / AR. For beginning WDs this can pose a problem.
    Yep you are right. The people who swear by Acid Cloud builds probably run with incredible DPS. I tried it and while it's great to clear entire rooms of trash (and the couple of seconds it takes longer with a Zombie Bear build is hardly a problem) it takes forever to kill elite packs. With the monster power feature coming next patch I think the viability of Acid Cloud will be even lower as it's simply not efficient enough against elite packs.

Hey guys, after many wipes.. I am here to declare that I am now officially stuck on the Butcher. I have tried a few different specs to no avail. Bears don't seem to be an option here. I may have to buy some more vitality because as things are, I get one shot without my health fetish up.

Deleted
    Hey guys, after many wipes.. I am here to declare that I am now officially stuck on the Butcher. I have tried a few different specs to no avail. Bears don't seem to be an option here. I may have to buy some more vitality because as things are, I get one shot without my health fetish up.
    Have you tried a more defensive approach? Like this: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...ZTX!aeU!aacaZb

Basically, you just have to make sure he doesn't get near you so you keep him slowed all the times and if he gets to you, you use Horrify. You must dodge the grip and charge and I believe if you are at max range you can very easily do so. Take advantage of the time he is stunned to spam the bats.