"repairing disk errors. this might take over an hour to complete"

Hello,

I was playing Mop like a happy little nerd for a while with no problems with my pc. For the past 2/3 months, I've been having random GPU crashes, where my screen would go black, say "no signal" but the of would remain on. One way roun this was to underclock my pc by around 200 in each option. This normally would work, but when I came back from making and eating dinner, my pc had crashed.

I first though that it had done its typical "No signal" thing again, which it had when I tried turning my monitor on, since my pc was running. I was forced to manually re-boot, which I guess is not good for the pc, but my only option.

Upon my pc rebooting, the default windows 7 background in a much smaller resolution appeared, followed by a error message saying something along the lines of "Disk is corrupted, run CHKDISK(I think)"

After clicking okay, the Startup repair window came up and said "Attempting Repairs... repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete"

After leaving it running for almost three hours, I get a bit worried. Is it possible for this repair to get stuck at all? This is the first time I've had this error, and I'm not sure what to do. Is it normal for it to take this long? I tried cancelling it 15min ago to try and restart it, but it told me it cannot be cancelled. I'm pretty sure manually rebooting my pc would just make it worse.

Kinda sucks this happens on the MoP release
    Thanks for people's replies and I look forward to reading the suggestions. Thanks for reading the long post! Sorry!

Boom, That is all.
    Blog

If a substantial amount of the hard disk has failed, it will not be able to complete the test. I had this happen a while back... if you decide that is what is going on, I would turn off the computer immediately after making that decision and not turn it on with that hard disk powered again until you have a replacement ready to copy data to. When that happened to me I kept trying to use my old one while I got a replacement, and it ended up crashing permanently... The computer would not even boot while the drive was connected after a while.

ouch, checkdisk...

basically, what that means is that the integrity of your harddrive is damaged. if you're really unlucky, it might even mean physical damage. i suggest making a backup of the things you can't go without (work/school files, WoW addons and addon settings, mails), because there could be a decent chance of your harddrive crashing sooner or later. how old is your harddrive? and how intensive do you read and write your hard drive?
    Because I want to say this every single day but don't want it to get a drag:
    1) The ingame store will only sell timesaver items. It won't affect balance.
    2) No, getting to 100 in half the time isn't pay2win. raids don't start until the second week, everyone has time to get there.
    4) getting charms faster is also not pay2win. getting those is easy, but not everyone has the time or want for dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    ouch, checkdisk...

basically, what that means is that the integrity of your harddrive is damaged. if you're really unlucky, it might even mean physical damage. i suggest making a backup of the things you can't go without (work/school files, WoW addons and addon settings, mails), because there could be a decent chance of your harddrive crashing sooner or later. how old is your harddrive? and how intensive do you read and write your hard drive?
    Urm, I'm not sure how I could make a backup because I can't actually get past that window. (however I havnt tried powering down y of and trying it that way Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by read and write my head drive? Sorry, I'm not great with pcs on a hardware scale, so I'm not sure how to replace a hard drive, hah.

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 10:56 PM ----------

Oh, and I've never replaced anything on my pc, but it's going to be 2 years old around winter time. it's a dell studio xps

Boom, That is all.
    Blog