Thread: Upgrade time

Upgrade time

Now that I have some disposable income, its high time to build a new pc from (mostly) scratch.

What I primarily need is a new motherboard&CPU and CPU fan, memory and graphics card. I have two hard drives ready to be wiped (1 a virtual machine slave, the other main gaming OS). I have all the peripherals and monitors I want, as well as a fairly large case.

My budget is $450. If possible, I'd like to snag DDR3. For the graphics card, DVi is an acceptable input (I have a dvi to hdmi cable) though HDMI is nice.

Trying to run WoW (and other games) at higher than 15 fps, so that gives you an idea of what I'm trying to get out of it.

This is about the best you can do in the budget. It actually should be able to handle just about any current game available at maximum settings. The processor comes with its own cooler. By the way, you didn't mention a power supply, so I assume you have that covered.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $437.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    Last edited by glo; 2012-09-26 at 01:30 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics