Poll: Down scaling stats might soon be a feature - will you do the old raids?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    This question is for those who raid, or did raid, fairly hardcore. Blizz just came out and officially said that scaling down players stats will most likely be an option in the future, which will allow players to do old raids at the real raid difficulty level. Now, I know that all the baddies and their dog will be trying to do these old raids (because that's how it works, right?), but I'm wondering if you hardcore to semi-hardcore raiders will actually organize and do these old raids?
    Especially with all of the current content raiding that will be going on.

I for one am super excited about this, just because I think it will be fun to go back and raid black temple, sunwell, or uld again.
    Yuck to old raids, the nostalgia wears off real quick. If they actually tune it to how it was back in the day you can pretty much forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    The issue with this is that even with gear being scaled down you won't be raiding at the real difficulty level. The only level you'll be raiding at is the "intended player level", so you won't get the feel of how it was intended. The reason I say this is because of things like this:

1) In Vanilla 50% of the specs were completely useless/not used. Warriors were the go to tanks while Paladins/Druids healed. Mages had to go frost or go home in Molten Core, etc.
    2) Death Knights didn't exist till Wrath content
    3) Player stats even scaled down would be at least 10+x more powerful than they were when originally released (even with a debuff it wouldn't negate how much more powerful things are)
    4) In Vanilla secondary stats didn't really exist except on odds and ends items so having secondary stats for that content grossly outweighs it.
    5) Mastery wasn't created till level 80, so you would have to negate mastery for the most part on all content to make it relevant. If not, then it's just another added power.

Those are just some examples off the top of my head. Now, I'm not against any of this at all. I don't see old content being a "big success" in this aspect unless they added rewards. Several of us ran it while it was relevant and if we want to revisit it we just want to go in at 90 and be done. So if rewards are added then sure it'll be something I consider, otherwise I just want in and out and be done.
    Those same issues apply equally to dungeon content which has been updated since its original implementation.

There just has been no real need, no metaphorical "kick up the backside" to actually update the the raid content at lower levels simply because there was not the option for the playerbase to feasibly participate in those raids at their appropriate level and gear.

Such a feature sounds like the perfect opportunity to do just that, to revisit the content and to update it based on current mechanics.
    Hardly a trivial task I know, but I can see that offering a huge part of what those asking for "vanilla" servers are asking for, the classic raids actually being difficult again.

Deleted
    Maybe describes perfectly my thoughts.
    Thank you for putting it there rather than making a plain "yes" or "no" poll, @OP!

End content will always have top priority and time is limited. If by any chance we re done with current content, than definately we would do organized runs to old content that has been skipped by us.
    With tiers like this one, or tier 11, having time, is rather unlikely, taking out the top 1000 guilds.
    With tiers like Dragon Soul, or TOGC, it is very likely, a lot of people to be able to spare some time for the old content.
    I would prefer never to see another Dragon Soul or another TOGC though if i had to chose. Even if that means that we would never have the time to visit old content with downscaled stats that would make old content relevant.

Deleted
    Would be fun to do the 40 men raids lol. It'll be hard to do those though, so I don't see this happening when guilds are still doing the new raid content available.

Deleted
    hell yeah. but only via LFR. yes, I went there. imagine trying to get 40 people for old school raids on your realm. Unless they improve the rewards...

Deleted
    If they ever implement that, it'd better be a choice! If I can't solo old raids at 90 (or 95, 100, whatever), but automatically get scaled down to the raid's level, I'll quit.

Deleted
    On farm yes, on progression no.

Deleted
    Agreed should be only optional, do not want to be lvl 90 that can not do karazhan /tempest and rest all raids solo.
    Same with dungeons heroic.

10+ Year Old Account
    scale-down is a highly dubious proposition - characters, abilities, stat point impact (dps and health), etc is completely changed from when any old raid was current. I found it possible, at level 60 during cataclysm, to have ap and do dps comparable to what was expected of a dps in kara in bc. I think the only challenge a raid of toons scaled down to 60, say, will find is raids where you have to actually have a clue about what to do, e.g. walk into BWL with tank-n-spank in mind and expect surprises, or not?

Unfortunately, experiencing old raid/dungeon content as it was when current isn't possible (to say nothing of removed raids, particularly naxxramas). Private-side options don't have the scripting, and may be mistuned as well.

---------- Post added 2012-09-30 at 04:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I have done MC and BWL to death in its time and the same can be said about everything to and including ICC. There also is not much to be gained in Classic to TBC instances for a DK.

Naxx 40 is taken out, so all tha remains to be interesting is AQ 40 as I didn't see much of that. However - it needs a re-design, else we are farming ST und stuff again for Resistance gear? Same with Hydross and Mother Shaz or possible the original Raggy. What with BWL? Redesign or downscaling won't work because three fights revolve around everyone having an Onyxia cloak.
    One thing I would bet money on in the scale-down scenario is all the resistance/special item requirements of certain fights would be gone.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by k8e View Post
    maybe. it sounds like a cool feature as long as it's optional, i like soloing old content :|
    Boom I feel the same way.

However this also seems a great way to reintroduce removed mounts/titles/crap like that. Also maybe stipulate that any legendary could be transmogable if you have it and clear a raid in this fashion. Could definitely be a way to give pve'ers more to do aside from current raids.

---------- Post added 2012-09-29 at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    for mc & bwl this is completly pointless as people who startet in tbc or later are not even attuned...
    I'm sure they would address this by removing attunements and probably scale the raids down to 25m size. Who knows though. Also to people pointing out that a toon at level 60 now is as powerful as and entry level 70 in bc, if they take the time to scale things, im sure there will be a very severe penalty to all parties entering the raids. What is the point of making old content still somewhat relevant again if it isn't even marginally challenging.
    Last edited by axeplay; 2012-09-30 at 04:30 AM.
    There is a fine line between clever and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    Bring raids up to us, not us down to them. If Blizz decided to bring back BWL, they should balance the instance to work around us at level 90.
    Disregarding everything else, if this was ever implemented, it would have to downscale us. All the raids would otherwise again become completely obsolete in the following expansion. They would have no longevity and would simply turn into what Onyxia is to us nowadays. It is not reasonable to expect that they would be tuned over and over again to fit whatever the latest level cap is.

I have progressed on them back then so no thanks I don't tend to shit on decent memories. It would be entirely retarded anyways as I see no way that any amount of "down scaling" would cause the raid to feel even remotely like they were considering all the class changes that have taken place.