Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    1.4 Blog and Future Release Schedule

    Originally Posted by SWTOR
    09.26.2012
    Welcome to Game Update 1.4: Terror from Beyond

    Our fourth major Game Update 1.4: Terror From Beyond goes live today. The center piece is a new Operation that shares the name of the update. This new Op is our most ambitious and difficult to date. The visuals are amazing, the battles are uniquely challenging and the final boss is the most impressive we’ve ever released.

    In addition to a new Op we’ve introduced many smaller changes. The shadow system has gone through an overhaul that not only makes the game look better, but also makes the shadow system run better on many machine specs. Changes have been made to class balance, focused mainly on crowd control and the Resolve system. A lot of bug fixes as well.

    This Game Update is also the start of a new release cadence. Our strategy so far has been to release big updates every few months. But this leaves long periods of time where you, our fans, don’t have anything new. So we’re moving to a model where we release Game Updates on a much more regular cadence. Our initial aim is for something as close to every six weeks as we can get. I’d promise an exact schedule, but in a live game we need some flexibility as the stability of the service trumps the release of an update on a particular date.

    This year has been exciting so far with three Game Updates. But before the end of the year, it’s our intention to have released another three Game Updates, starting with Terror From Beyond. This is in addition to moving to Free to Play. But I can say in all honesty, that our plans for 2013 are even bigger. Our team’s experience, improving tools and better production processes are allowing us to move faster in development than we ever have before. More exciting news to come!

    Be sure to check out everything that’s new in Game Update 1.4 with the News Articles and Community Blog Posts that we’ve published about it so far:

    News Articles:

    Community Blogs:

    James Ohlen
    Studio Creative Director

    (Source)

    Not particularly sure why he decided to link to the announcement of 1.4 being on the PTS... so hmm 6 weeks from now would be... Nov. 7th... so the next patch on the PTS would be mid Octoberish.

  2. #2
    Interesting...

  3. #3
    Mid Oct. will most likely be the Ancient Hypergates Warzone, then I would guess early Dec. we might get either HK-51 or the next round of space missions they said they were working on.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  4. #4
    Honestly. I'd believe this more if it came from anyone BUT Ohlen.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Honestly. I'd believe this more if it came from anyone BUT Ohlen.
    Hey at least it wasn't a video of him talking! I don't know what it is about him, but he always comes of horribly in videos, at least to me.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Hey at least it wasn't a video of him talking! I don't know what it is about him, but he always comes of horribly in videos, at least to me.


    Horribly is a nice way of saying creepy.

    ot
    I hope this is the case. I plan on checking things out when f2p hits. Finish my level 38 GS and 15 BH. Then my sig will be complete.

    I'm betting they already have the 3 minipatches complete.

    Otherwise they wouldn't make this kind of statement. (I hope)
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Arsenal, Nighthawk, Raptor, Tigerclaw
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Hey at least it wasn't a video of him talking! I don't know what it is about him, but he always comes of horribly in videos, at least to me.
    Wait, was he the guy that was in all the videos just after launch? With the kind shortish blonde hair? If so...ughhhhhhhhh. Glad they're not putting him back on camera.

    redit: Oh man, it is. It's a GREAT thing they're not putting him in front of the camera. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but man, he just really really annoyed me every time I saw him in a video -_-
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-09-26 at 07:05 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Honestly. I'd believe this more if it came from anyone BUT Ohlen.
    I remember the days when this forum loved Ohlen. Oh how the times have changed...
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I remember the days when this forum loved Ohlen. Oh how the times have changed...
    When something goes wrong, people need a figure to blame. Ohlen took that position. I honestly don't mind him, except when he talked like Arlee said.

  10. #10
    Ohlen was all fine before SWTOR was release, his interviews were nice and informative and kinda believable. Now 9 months after, whenever he gives an interview it seems like he's lying and he knows it. He's got kinda sweat on his forehand and everyting, the way he is explaining/ announcing stuff sounds like there is someone really heavy breathing down his neck and watching his every step.

  11. #11
    I for one am happy to hear something from Olen again, I thought he was gone, too.

    The new warzone in october would be nice, but if they can follow their 6 weeks aim, it'll probably be november.

  12. #12
    I would prefer that they just release something as soon as it's finished instead of waiting for [insert time period]. They did it with the large patches, it wasn't working and now... 6 weeks is still a long time. Just deploy whatever is ready and inform your customers what you are working on next.

  13. #13
    6 weeks sounds fine. Believe it when it actually happends. Doubt many has forgot that they promised to do it monthly before and we all know how that went. Very little actually materialized. Could be that they just postponed some already ready content for free to play.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    I for one am happy to hear something from Olen again, I thought he was gone, too.

    The new warzone in october would be nice, but if they can follow their 6 weeks aim, it'll probably be november.
    October was the estimation for the next content update being on the PTS

    And I don't dislike Ohlen, he has a history of doing really great work on games. My issues are more of an interpersonal type (the way he seems to interact with other people) and the way he comes off in videos.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    October was the estimation for the next content update being on the PTS

    And I don't dislike Ohlen, he has a history of doing really great work on games. My issues are more of an interpersonal type (the way he seems to interact with other people) and the way he comes off in videos.
    My issue with Ohlen would be the way he put "other MMOs" on blast for their boss encounters and then did the exact same thing. He said Many vs. 1 wasn't heroic, remember? It's just another incident of saying one thing and doing another.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    I would prefer that they just release something as soon as it's finished instead of waiting for [insert time period]. They did it with the large patches, it wasn't working and now... 6 weeks is still a long time. Just deploy whatever is ready and inform your customers what you are working on next.
    Sure but what happens when 5 things finish at once, and then we get them all at once and no more updates for 5 months?
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Sure but what happens when 5 things finish at once, and then we get them all at once and no more updates for 5 months?
    To be honest, is it any different than the release schedule they are currently working with? As it is, you aren't going to get a new Op for, let's say, a minimum of 3 months. I would say it's probably more like 4-5 months. Same things goes for a WZ or a FP. Especially if they're doing things the way they made it seem, meaning a new FP, Op, or WZ every 6 weeks?

    What you're working on is a mentality thing. It's a brain manipulation technique. "We're going to update every 6 weeks". However, the nature of the update (i.e. FP or WZ) is only going to be updated every 4-5 months. Do you see what I'm saying?
    Last edited by notorious98; 2012-09-27 at 04:56 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    To be honest, is it any different than the release schedule they are currently working with? As it is, you aren't going to get a new Op for, let's say, a minimum of 3 months. I would say it's probably more like 4-5 months. Same things goes for a WZ or a FP. Especially if they're doing things the way they made it seem, meaning a new FP, Op, or WZ every 6 weeks?

    What you're working on is a mentality thing. It's a brain manipulation technique. "We're going to update every 6 weeks". However, the nature of the update (i.e. FP or WZ) is only going to be updated every 4-5 months. Do you see what I'm saying?
    If it's just a WZ, OP, Event or similar in every patch without any additional fluff or side content I'd say it's worse rate even.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    My issue with Ohlen would be the way he put "other MMOs" on blast for their boss encounters and then did the exact same thing. He said Many vs. 1 wasn't heroic, remember? It's just another incident of saying one thing and doing another.
    If every fight was just lots of adds it would be boring. Having fights which are sometimes many vs 1, or many vs many or individual responsibility make it more entertaining. If anything I'd say that the levelling in SWTOR has you fighting larger packs and is more heroic than fighting one mob like you do in most other mmos, and usually that one mob is 2-3 shot and doesn't get in range of most ranged casters to do any damage.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    If every fight was just lots of adds it would be boring. Having fights which are sometimes many vs 1, or many vs many or individual responsibility make it more entertaining. If anything I'd say that the levelling in SWTOR has you fighting larger packs and is more heroic than fighting one mob like you do in most other mmos, and usually that one mob is 2-3 shot and doesn't get in range of most ranged casters to do any damage.
    They're packs of 3-4 mobs. You get a companion. The ratio bucks down to 1.5-2 mobs per. Not exactly "heroic". They don't necessarily have to use that approach, but that approach only exists for, what, 1 fight (Infernal Council)? My point isn't about the mechanic. My point is that he actually called out other MMOs for doing the EXACT same thing they wound up doing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •