Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The only decently written personal story is the Charr one. And I use the term "personal" lightly as it's all the same really.

Just ignore the personal story aspect of the game if it bothers. It never really gets "better". Probably the worst aspect of the game in total honesty.

The personal story is indeed badly written and makes me hate my character. This is really a shame, because the overall story (DEs, NPC) are really well done.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, now I feel weird for actually liking it.
    I'm literally the only person in this thread it seems like.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The only decently written personal story is the Charr one.
    In your opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The only decently written personal story is the Charr one. And I use the term "personal" lightly as it's all the same really.

Just ignore the personal story aspect of the game if it bothers. It never really gets "better". Probably the worst aspect of the game in total honesty.
    Which is weird, considering it's supposed to be the main plot of the game. In regards to, you know, taking down the Elder Dragons and following the story of Destiny's Edge.

I guess Arena Net needs to hire some really talented plot writers, the way they once needed to hire a much more talented artist.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

They really aren't spectacular, I mean, I don't think they are *awful* just.. bland?

Deleted
    I havn't done mine in 10 lvls now :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    They really aren't spectacular, I mean, I don't think they are *awful* just.. bland?
    Mostly they're bland, yeah. Occasionally they're awful.

Human commoner spoiler: The innkeeper's daughter, whom I personally think acts as if she has a crush on you (playing a male, not sure how she acts towards a female), goes on my nerves like you wouldn't believe. I've heard some bad things about one of the Charr warband companions, and if that's worse than her, I genuinely feel bad for anyone who picks him/her. Also, if I hear "mister Splinters" again I may just go on a murdering rampage. End rant.

For all its flaws, SW:TOR had the personal story just about nailed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    For all its flaws, SW:TOR had the personal story just about nailed.
    That, I think is a huge waste of money (and writer's time as well), as only a small portion of the player base will play all 8 personal stories, especially when the planetary quests are all the same, which discourages players from experiencing them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Asura has probably the most relevant story to what you actually pick.
    My boyfriend ended up with a much better (IMO) Asura storyline than I did.

Sylvari barely even use the Green Knight or White Stag(especially the former), and you never figure out what the shield of the moon is. It just lies on a table when you walk into the home instance once.
    Mini-spoiler: The shield belongs to someone you're supposed to aid.

With Norn they just threw the drunken brawl thing in your face at 14 after you spend every previous quest hunting svanir. Not sure what the blood legion story is really about, then Skelington had to hunt a treasure chest with his goons because his papa was a swell guy.
    I suppose if I stop to think about it the Norn storyline has been somewhat bland. Edit: Well, I liked the 'guardian of the mists' part I chose, but the 'lost heirloom' was meh. I do wish whichever affinity (dignity/charm/ferocity) you chose had more bearing on your character's personality. My Norn is far too arrogant/conceited/boastful/overconfident, IMO. I'm like, all you did was defeat some overgrown worm with about 10 other people, you're not all that! :P

I've loved my Charr though. I chose Honorless Gladium for my father, so maybe that's why. There was a decent amount of suspense and intrigue.

The part of the story related to what race you are and what options you pick end at 19 or 21 when everyone's merge together into the orders.

At least they give a lot of experience and fancy rewards.
    I've just gotten to that part and I hate it. ***SPOILERS*** My Norn no longer gets to quest with Eir and my Charr has to leave his warband, WTF? So much for forming attachments when it's all ripped out from under you when you have to chose a faction. :P However, I will say joining the Order of Whispers and questing with Tybalt has been a riot. Apples? /spoilers

I think it really depends on your choices. I have ashamedly started checking the GW2 wiki for choice outcomes before I make one. Some are really a lot more worth it than others.
    Last edited by Lane; 2012-09-27 at 11:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every personal story gets ruined the moment you meet Trahearne anyway... might aswel skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakchaw View Post
    Every personal story gets ruined the moment you meet Trahearne anyway... might aswel skip it.
    Yup. Trahearne was easily one of the stupidest and worst things ANet did to personal storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerion View Post
    Yup. Trahearne was easily one of the stupidest and worst things ANet did to personal storylines.
    It's slightly better when you are Sylvari since he just doesn't show up like. OH HI, I'm the hero now. Well... okay, I lied, he still does, but you knew about him long before. I still don't understand why you don't get the sword, seeing as you saved it. :I

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    It's slightly better when you are Sylvari since he just doesn't show up like. OH HI, I'm the hero now. Well... okay, I lied, he still does, but you knew about him long before. I still don't understand why you don't get the sword, seeing as you saved it. :I
    Yeah, I wasn't as thrown off by Trahearne as others because I felt he had been an integral (and annoying) part of my storyline already. But I agree, I'm the hero who rescued Caledbolg and fought and slew a lich with it. Oh Trahearne the scholar gets it? Wee! -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    While I dont hate the personal quests / story I do very much hate Trahearne. I really actually enjoyed the Asura story and loved their quirky nature, loved joining my order, Loved my big norn buddy..

Then poof gone and I get stuck with Trahearne and I really dislike Salads...

Oh well, I still enjoy them but he annoys the crap out of me. As useless as he is he might as well not even be there.

I liked the Asura one - it was cool to have Kudu be such a prick early on and then finally kill him in CoE.

I'm not a fan of the whole Trahearne focus as well. Woodenpotatoes made a great video about the personal story that I agree with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I'm not a fan of the whole Trahearne focus as well. Woodenpotatoes made a great video about the personal story that I agree with.
    That video also included, fairly early on, him successfully pwning a stealthed Thief with his D/D Elementalist in a 1v1. ^_^

Seems Arcane Shield > Backstab

But yes, I agree with him - the talking-head cutscenes were a bad decision. I could probably tolerate the story writing better if they didn't try to make the story more dramatic/central with those cutscenes.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-27 at 07:16 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    As much as I like this game, it kind of failed at the personal story. Today's games should focus on more grey choices and making you feel attached to the characters. Unfortunately, this can only be done with lots of conversations from npcs, so for the modern gamer who wants things done faster, this is a detriment. Arenanet tried a middle ground, putting some voicing and stuff, and some dialogue, but not too much to not bore people. But, by not choosing either side, they actually made the people who like story feel like it was bad and those that just did them for the sake of it feel like it was too much speaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is that the talking-head cutscenes really would have been better without the cutscene, and just having them talk in the actual game world. Nothing is really happening on the screen except, primarily, idling character models lip-synching to pieces of text.