SSD only ? and few other questions

got my new PC other day and havent hooked it up just yet because for starters it only has a sold state hard drive in it and my plan was to take the hard drive out of my old pc and put it in the new one with my video card. but i really wonder if its needed and how difficult it would be to do that. so here are my questions

1: is it really bad to ONLY have a SSD in your PC?

2: would it be difficult for me to take my hardrive out of my old PC and put it in the new one. (only PC experience is adding memory and changing video cards)

3: assuming they portioned the SSD to have part of it be for booting PC if i put my old hard drive in my new PC would that also having a portion for booting effect anything at all?

main reason i havent hooked new PC up is been playing MOP ALOT so havent taken the time to mess with it. any help would be welcomed. thanks for your time and any help you can offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you aren't going to consume the space on the SSD, there's not really an issue that I can think of. Data transfer is going to be fast as hell for whatever's on it though.

1: No its not bad to just have an SSD in your computer. The only down size is its size, if you have a lot of data its going to become full very fast.
    2: Not difficult at all so long as it has the correct connections (matches the PSU connectors).
    3: Why partition the SSD? I assume that's what you mean with portioned? I think they are just stupid (partitions that is), excluding a few possibilities. When installing your normal HDD just plug and play. If you want to make sure you have no issues reformat that drive.

If you reformat make sure to backup everything so your not stuck downloading for hours on end getting everything back.
    Last edited by Sthos; 2012-09-27 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    As long as you aren't going to consume the space on the SSD, there's not really an issue that I can think of. Data transfer is going to be fast as hell for whatever's on it though.
    think my current PC (old one now) has a 256 mb hard drive. well just looked and it says its a 232 gb and i have had this PC for prob 3 or 4 years now and i still have 78 gb free. i dont download movies or music ever, just play games, surf mmo and a few other sites. so the SSD that my new PC has is also a 256. suppose having to reinstall everything would suck but not the end of the world.

always heard that if you only had a SSD that it would fail alot sooner from constant use

Quote Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
    think my current PC (old one now) has a 256 mb hard drive. well just looked and it says its a 232 gb and i have had this PC for prob 3 or 4 years now and i still have 78 gb free. i dont download movies or music ever, just play games, surf mmo and a few other sites. so the SSD that my new PC has is also a 256. suppose having to reinstall everything would suck but not the end of the world.

always heard that if you only had a SSD that it would fail alot sooner from constant use
    Well if your HDD says 232GB figure its actually a 250GB the format takes some space. If thats all you have and its not full just go with the SSD. Worse case you have to stick in another HDD after some time.

Fail a lot sooner? That depends on which you get, but you still cant guarantee a perfect SSD or HDD. Chances of DOA, failure after 1yr through 10yrs you'll never know till it happens.