Macbook Pro or PC for MoP

I have the option of using a PC or Macbook Pro. My PC is old but does beat out the Macbook Pro on performance. The thing is, the PC is stuffed in my back room and I really do not feel like hooking it all up again. My goal is to explore the MoP expansion and probably quit after I hit 90. I would like to play the game at high settings if possible. I have had my subscription cancelled for about 9 months now. Reading all the MoP news has sparked my interest to check it out. I can use bootcamp on the Macbook Pro or just straight from OS X.

Here are the specs for each

Macbook Pro

CPU 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

HD Crucial M4 SSD Not sure I have enough room on this drive. Capacity is 256GB with 132GB free. It runs OS X and some virtual machines for me. I cannot max out the drive.

HD #2 Standard serial ATA drive that comes with Macbook Pro

Operating System OS X 10.7.5

PC

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz

Memory 4GB

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4870 512mb

HD Western Digital Serial ATA drive (Nothing special)

Operating System Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
    Last edited by Lery; 2012-09-27 at 07:33 PM.

IMO, it really depends on the quality of the MBP. I wouldn't play on it if your gameplay experience would suffer because of it. For instance, when I play WoW on my Mac I can't get above 30 frames on good quality settings. My PC on the other hand runs the game at a full 60 on ultra with no slow down. If you can bring yourself to setting up your PC just do that. Especially then you will have a nice PC set up for other things.

I have a new MBP and it gets incredibly hot while playing MoP. Actually, most of the time I play any game, have a long Skype call, stream something from Twitch my MBP gets annoyingly hot even while placed on my desk. The fans are just incredibly annoying
    Last edited by Shmeckle; 2012-09-27 at 07:46 PM.

Yeah you arent going to be able to get away from Laptops warming up when you play a game that is any bit intansive. I'm not really sure about how well WoW interacts with MacOS. I do know that Windows 7 and WoW act very friendly together.

Either will get solid framerates, so just game on whichever you prefer.

Telling someone to buy a new PC because their laptop (which they already own) might get hot is inane.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Yeah you arent going to be able to get away from Laptops warming up when you play a game that is any bit intansive. I'm not really sure about how well WoW interacts with MacOS. I do know that Windows 7 and WoW act very friendly together.
    Macs get to run iTunes within WoW. Am jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Either will get solid framerates, so just game on whichever you prefer.
    Telling someone to buy a new PC because their laptop (which they already own) might get hot is inane.
    Macs get to run iTunes within WoW. Am jelly.
    I wasn't saying go either way, heat is an issue with any computer. Custom rigs are just better able to mitigate such things compared to laptops.
    Also, We have this for windows.

Thanks all. Remember I already own the PC. I heard about the heat issue on laptops. I think there is an unofficial fix out there somewhere. Based on replies so far, I think I'm looking at dragging out the PC.

Deleted
    well keyboard/mouse work allot better for playing games instead of any laptop ones out there so it would interact easier already.
    Also depends on what screen you got for the PC (size/res).
    gaming on a laptop is 9/10 times a backup plan when stuff for main pc is in RMA or alike :P

Well, first of all you compare a desktop vs a laptop. Obviously, the desktop's GPU is much faster (although, the MBP has a faster CPU). Both will run MOP just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    Thanks all. Remember I already own the PC. I heard about the heat issue on laptops. I think there is an unofficial fix out there somewhere. Based on replies so far, I think I'm looking at dragging out the PC.
    You can put your MBP on a laptop cooler or use a USB keyboard, quick fix for uncomfortable hands.

I have played WoW on my MacBook Pro since the Burning Crusade. Get a program to control your fans (I use SMC Fan Control) and crank them up. It helps.

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro. My specs are not nearly as good as yours, but I can still run MOP on pretty much low/minimum settings. You should be good.