Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    I enjoyed the game for about 2 days. I loved the graphics, I loved the questing and leveling, and I loved the cities. However I hated the PVP and the combat. I felt like the main point of playing my class, was to just run around with auto attack and making sure the target was in LOS. Their idea of rotation, is swapping between weapons and using predetermined abilities. And you can have every rotational ability you'll ever get, by the time you're level 5.
    Know why you only lasted 2 day its because you have the word ROTATION in your vocab. That mean you are trying to play GW2 like wow.

  2. #22
    1. There are no raids, but there are dungeons. Each dungeon has a story mode (related directly to the main story of the game) and 3 explorable paths (difficult 'end game' content that you actually need an organized group to beat).

    2. Yes. GW1 was known for great PvP and it's pretty much the same in GW2. Structured PvP has small groups that fight to control small arenas while defeating enemy players. There is also WvWvW (battleground) content that puts 3 servers up against each other in a conquest style of gameplay.

  3. #23
    Stood in the Fire incarcerated's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Pale Tree
    Posts
    438
    DON'T play this as an MMO if you buy it. It is basically the literal form of an MMORPG think RPG (witcher 2, skyrim, etc) with MMO (lots of people) play it how you would play an RPG not like how you would play an MMO. My recommendation is to remove map tracking for hearts, vistas, skillpoints and PoI and simply go into the world and enjoy the zones. If you try to complete every area, always checking the map for which thing to complete next, you miss out on the important things in the game.

  4. #24
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    78
    Thank you guys I find out what I was looking for, I might buy guild wars 2 later on but I will come back to WoW for now as I want end game PvE and arena style PvP.
    Graphics are really amazing and I hear there is a good story so when I buy it it will to play as rpg and not like WoW alternative.
    Rift I just don't like and SWTOR, well I played KOTOR 1 & 2 and I loved it so I guess once it goes free I will check out the story.
    Pandas beware here I come

  5. #25
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,357
    The biggest attraction of GW2 imo is no sub fee, 35 quid or whatever and you're sorted. Give it a try :> do take into consideration that it's new and has a few bugs, though, don't expect perfection.

  6. #26
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,091
    1. Depends what you consider end-game. In WoW in the last expansion and I'm going to assume this one too, end game seems to only be the last patch/raid/dungeon/etc added nowadays since others become easy as they're nerfed and you get gear from them by farming dungeons. So, comparing to that GW2 has more end-game content. However, if you take all the raids in one expansion, all the dungeons at heroic level, all the stuff you can only do at max level in WoW, it once again depends, as tehnically in GW2 everything is "end game" content because of down-scaling. But the content is hard, especially for explorable dungeons, so you do get progression.

    2. Battleground-like zones are the closest thing. The PvP is really good though, just no arena.


    Overall, not sure if you'll feel right in based on those looks. I'd suggest you try it but for that there first needs to be a sort of trial for people like you who are undecided.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-28 at 03:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Retaliator View Post
    Thank you guys I find out what I was looking for, I might buy guild wars 2 later on but I will come back to WoW for now as I want end game PvE and arena style PvP.
    Graphics are really amazing and I hear there is a good story so when I buy it it will to play as rpg and not like WoW alternative.
    Rift I just don't like and SWTOR, well I played KOTOR 1 & 2 and I loved it so I guess once it goes free I will check out the story.
    Pandas beware here I come
    For Rift, you don't like it based on its start? Since it started there's been so many changes it's very little left of the original game, many things added and changed and tons of content added. Give it a try again if you already own it, maybe you might like it now.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Zem View Post
    Know why you only lasted 2 day its because you have the word ROTATION in your vocab. That mean you are trying to play GW2 like wow.
    Many classes have obvious skill rotations for their weapon sets and/or build.

    To wit:

    Rifle/Axe+Axe Warrior. Starts in melee if empty on adrenaline. With axes rotation is as follows; 2, 4, 5, f1 if full if not 1*3, F1. Swap to Rifle; 4, 3, auto fire till rage is full. Retain or swap to axe for burst.

    Ranger Shortbow/Longbow duo w/ devourer. pre-load 7. Longbow at max range f2, 0, 8, 3, 2, auto-fire. At short range with Shortbow; f2, 0, 8, 4, 2, auto fire.

    And so on for every profession.

  8. #28
    I have max level characters in WoW (6), Rift (4), SW:TOR (2) and Tera (2).
    I play mostly PvE and like questing and exploring.
    I am absolutely loving GW2. The event chains are extremely fun, some are easy, some are challenging.
    For a game with no sub it's awesome.

  9. #29
    I'm in the same boat. The only thing keeping me from trying it is that it seems like the WvWvW would get repetitive, seeing as it's just one map, and that seems to be its main selling point to be different than WoW PvP. The sPvP I've watched looks too small scale, like arena, so I'm worried there'd be nothing to feel like BGs.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    How to like GW2:

    - GW2 is best played with a friend so you can explore every bit of the map (for me this is simply not so great when playing alone, but still twice as good as in WoW)
    I couldn't agree with this more. When we are on vent we are always questing together (thanks to the scaling system), we take our time and never rush things, always looking around and getting involved in DE's (heart quests are boring and is what you typical WoW quest is like, collect x of this, kill y of that)

    Currently we have been spending all of our time in WvW, its so much fun. Now our time is consumed when we are not playing researching the best pvp builds, best food buffs, siege locations, better gear, best use of our time when ingame as a smaller team.

    this game when we first played it seemed simple but as time progressed we have discovered its a far more complex game than we originally thought.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

  11. #31
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Many classes have obvious skill rotations for their weapon sets and/or build.

    To wit:

    Rifle/Axe+Axe Warrior. Starts in melee if empty on adrenaline. With axes rotation is as follows; 2, 4, 5, f1 if full if not 1*3, F1. Swap to Rifle; 4, 3, auto fire till rage is full. Retain or swap to axe for burst.

    Ranger Shortbow/Longbow duo w/ devourer. pre-load 7. Longbow at max range f2, 0, 8, 3, 2, auto-fire. At short range with Shortbow; f2, 0, 8, 4, 2, auto fire.

    And so on for every profession.
    All that will feel fairly complex for someone who has been tapping their Frostbolt key for the last 6 years because it's the fastest way to kill mobs (lol).

  12. #32
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I'm in the same boat. The only thing keeping me from trying it is that it seems like the WvWvW would get repetitive, seeing as it's just one map, and that seems to be its main selling point to be different than WoW PvP. The sPvP I've watched looks too small scale, like arena, so I'm worried there'd be nothing to feel like BGs.
    More than one map.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...and-Discussion
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  13. #33
    Old God Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    10,360
    I'm enjoying myself immensely. What the common folk is doing and their complains about difficult dungeons or nothing to do in level 80 is none of my concern


    But tip, a good guild can mean A LOT to your enjoyment.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-09-29 at 01:31 AM.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    All that will feel fairly complex for someone who has been tapping their Frostbolt key for the last 6 years because it's the fastest way to kill mobs (lol).
    I don't play World of Warcraft so not sure what the Frostbolt thing is aimed at exactly. Last time I played WOW TBC was ending.

    GW2 rotations are a lot simpler than most games though. Rotations all the same. Funny thing is GW2 seems to emphasize the default auto-fire skill as the highest DPS skill in most cases. So it's not even all that much work to get decent enough damage out of your class.

    Often one doesn't press any skill buttons GW2. Been playing a bit of Aion and SWTOR lately alongside GW2. I feel like I am playing the piano in those games compared to GW2. ;P

    Most of GW2's keypresses are position responses.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I don't play World of Warcraft so not sure what the Frostbolt thing is aimed at exactly. Last time I played WOW TBC was ending.

    GW2 rotations are a lot simpler than most games though. Rotations all the same. Funny thing is GW2 seems to emphasize the default auto-fire skill as the highest DPS skill in most cases. So it's not even all that much work to get decent enough damage out of your class.

    Often one doesn't press any skill buttons GW2. Been playing a bit of Aion and SWTOR lately alongside GW2. I feel like I am playing the piano in those games compared to GW2. ;P

    Most of GW2's keypresses are position responses.
    Most. Tell that to my grenade tossing engineer. I have a feeling that the "1" button on my keyboard is plotting to kill me

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    If people can play something like Skyrim for 2 years then GW2 should last them forever, assuming they aim for 100% map completition and legendaries with a character of every profession.
    I don't get the logic of this at all, Skyrim is an incredibly immersive game world with awesome storylines, GW2's personal story sucks, there's zero comparison there.

  17. #37
    Remember though, it has no monthly fee. So you're not losing anything just giving it a try, it's not like there's anything to unsubscribe from. I'd say it's well worth the $60. If you get bored, it'll always be there waiting for you when you're ready to give it another try. You never have to spend a penny outside of the original box price. Even the things that cost "money" such as bank space and character slots can be converted from gold to gems, then use the gems to buy said items.

    You have nothing to lose, go try it.

    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

  18. #38
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK - North East England
    Posts
    324
    I don't have lots of experience with lots of different proffesions but I feel that I use more of my skills when on my Necro and it is a lot less 'rotational' and more 'situational' than my warrior, usually as I use my Necro more as a support character...hoovering up conditions from my mates and throwing and spreading them out amongst the baddies.
    So is is my opinion that whether you have a rotation or not depends a little on the profession and more on how you want to play your character.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Often one doesn't press any skill buttons GW2. Been playing a bit of Aion and SWTOR lately alongside GW2. I feel like I am playing the piano in those games compared to GW2. ;P
    I feel the complete opposite. With my guardian I am taping I am hitting keys all over the place. With my warrior I can stay with my greatsword and I only have F1. But with the guardian I find I have to weapon swap to do the most dps, and use all my utilities to survive the damage. Also with the guardian I need to be sure not to mash buttons otherwise I will do a single target spell not an AoE which I normally require.

    Aion was a very simple game in comparison, as was SWTOR.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    I don't get the logic of this at all, Skyrim is an incredibly immersive game world with awesome storylines, GW2's personal story sucks, there's zero comparison there.
    Hm...well there's a problem there. Not that I don't adore Skyrim (nor want to get off topic) but it was weird. Those moments where they no longer talk about you killing dragons and go back to commenting you look pale? How every guard seems to "know who you are, and hail Sithis?" Oh, and to complete the "main" story you need to partially complete the thieves guild chain, involving framing an innocent man for stealing a ring. Not that good if you don't want your character to steal or be a bit of a scumbag. Now, I hate to talk bad about Skyrim as I agree it was amazing and I've been playing it on and off for months, but the story telling was fractured. Stuff like Winterhold was a little more "go get my book from yet another generic undead filled dungeon" and not like a mage college at all. Plus, somehow my assassin-ey vampire theif character was *perfect* to be the Archmage, just as she was the character Iplayed.

    Agree though, I do think that GW2's personal story was a complete washout, say compared to Prophecies or Nightfall. Albeit the story telling in the first game wasn't particularly original and very predictable, but companies like Bioware when they were still good proved its more in the telliing of it. Hopefully they'll improve it, but then seeing as I'm stuck on the very end of it as it was bugged (something to do with not able to go below deck of the lv 79 mission thanks to being ported back to the top of the ship and too many oozes)I've lost interest.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •