1. #8721
    The Lightbringer Mehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The moon
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Brohoof View Post
    But day and night are times of day. Used to distinguish one from another. But if the other does not exist, that means those times of day don't exist. So how can they exist?
    Day and night are used (as you said before) to give a name to when it's dark and when it's light, that would still happen even if there wasn't the opposite. They would still exist, just not with the name we currently have for them.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 09:16 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    *Lurk Lurk*
    No. Bad Nikki. Unless you were pandaring. Then it's ok.


  2. #8722
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    *Lurk Lurk*
    Don't worry, you're not missing much. I'm rapidly running out of BS arguments to make, and there's no way in hell I'm going to make realistic and sensible ones, so I may go back to TF2 shortly.
    FC: 4441-9848-5442 (If you want any gen 1-6 starter, PM me or ask on steam)

  3. #8723
    Pandaren Monk Mapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cultural Exchange House
    Posts
    1,900
    Pro LoL is on and its to busy on Wow to quest.

    " I'll tell you the ultimate secret of magic. Any cunt could do it." - John Constantine

  4. #8724
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Day and night are used (as you said before) to give a name to when it's dark and when it's light, that would still happen even if there wasn't the opposite. They would still exist, just not with the name we currently have for them.
    I was using the most basic concept of the day as perceived by most people. If we want to go by what night means by definition:
    "The period of darkness in each twenty-four hours; the time from sunset to sunrise."
    Night is strictly defined by the time from when the sun sets to when it rises. The only reason we can understand the concept of night time in the first place is by having the time of day. Everything that is done revolves around what we do during the day, and what we do during the night.

    The idea of night is a period of time. The CHARACTERISTICS of that period of time are stuff like darkness. It's not DEFINED by its characteristics, those are just used to identify that period of time. Night is still a period of time, but people confuse darkness and coldness as part of night's definition as opposed to its characteristics.
    FC: 4441-9848-5442 (If you want any gen 1-6 starter, PM me or ask on steam)

  5. #8725
    Blademaster Zirusitavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tenpony Tower
    Posts
    40
    This debate amuses me.

    Please continue <3

    "Black and Blue. And who knows which is which and who is who"

  6. #8726
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirusianna View Post
    This debate amuses me.

    Please continue <3
    TL : DR for all of it.

  7. #8727
    Herald of the Titans Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington, Land of Rain
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Day and night are used (as you said before) to give a name to when it's dark and when it's light, that would still happen even if there wasn't the opposite. They would still exist, just not with the name we currently have for them.
    No they wouldn't, because we wouldn't be alive.

  8. #8728
    The Lightbringer Mehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The moon
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Brohoof View Post
    I was using the most basic concept of the day as perceived by most people. If we want to go by what night means by definition:
    "The period of darkness in each twenty-four hours; the time from sunset to sunrise."
    Night is strictly defined by the time from when the sun sets to when it rises. The only reason we can understand the concept of night in the first place is by having day to compare with it. Everything that is done revolves around what we do during the day, and what we do during the night.

    The idea of night is a period of time. The CHARACTERISTICS of that period of time are darkness. It's not DEFINED by its characteristics, those are just used to identify that period of time.
    But then how can there be night up above the arctic circle during the winter? The sun doesn't rise, but is still called night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirusianna View Post
    This debate amuses me.

    Please continue <3
    Wait, if this amuses Ziru we must stop. We can't have Ziru being entertained!


  9. #8729
    The Patient Shaedris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fluffland
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirusianna View Post
    This debate amuses me.

    Please continue <3
    Ziru commands it!

  10. #8730
    The Lightbringer Mehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The moon
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaedris View Post
    Ziru commands it!
    It isn't a command if you say please. It's a request.


  11. #8731
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    13,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoroar View Post
    more like that D:
    But he only has one other song that he sings.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  12. #8732
    The Patient Shaedris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fluffland
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Wait, if this amuses Ziru we must stop. We can't have Ziru being entertained!
    Or we could just tie you to a tree and gag you to keep you quiet.

  13. #8733
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    But then how can there be night up above the arctic circle during the winter? The sun doesn't rise, but is still called night.
    Exactly my point! How do they identify it?
    By time. The periods of time. Day and Night.

    How did they get those periods of time?
    Outside news of the sun and moon, which had then formed a calender to determine which is where, a long time ago. If we did not have one or the other, however, this would screw everything up. Our calenders would no longer be able to determine which is which because they relied on the relation to the sun.

    If we were covered by clouds so thick that we didn't see the sun or moon, or have the ability to tell the difference, we'd still have a day and night. Why? Because they are periods of time. Whether we can see the sun or moon does not change the time. But we still use them to decide what period of time we are in, now that we've recorded the movement schedules and know where the sun and moon will be in
    relation to us.
    FC: 4441-9848-5442 (If you want any gen 1-6 starter, PM me or ask on steam)

  14. #8734
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirusianna View Post
    This debate amuses me.

    Please continue <3
    It's pretty stupid in my opinion. People deliberately misunderstanding each other just so they could argue.

  15. #8735
    The Lightbringer Mehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The moon
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaedris View Post
    Or we could just tie you to a tree and gag you to keep you quiet.
    But then I wouldn't be able to keep up the discussion which would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? But really, I wouldn't mind.


  16. #8736
    Herald of the Titans Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington, Land of Rain
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    It's pretty stupid in my opinion. People deliberately misunderstanding each other just so they could argue.
    Yea thats how I feel.

  17. #8737
    Blademaster Zirusitavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tenpony Tower
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaedris View Post
    Or we could just tie you to a tree and gag you to keep you quiet.
    You would do that for me?

    meep~

    "Black and Blue. And who knows which is which and who is who"

  18. #8738
    Herald of the Titans Yakobro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Brohoof View Post
    However, because proper logic often doesn't apply around here, let this be my following argument:
    I think I've seen the rest of this pic before...

  19. #8739
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    But he only has one other song that he sings.
    [video=youtube;OoTYZzFhfHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoTYZzFhfHc&feature=plcp[/vieo]
    I know, but we need more D:

  20. #8740
    Blademaster Zirusitavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tenpony Tower
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    It's pretty stupid in my opinion. People deliberately misunderstanding each other just so they could argue.
    Yeah, but the words are interesting.

    tbh I didn't see how it started.

    "Black and Blue. And who knows which is which and who is who"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •