10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    WeUtubeNow...
    That falls under the category of equally stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Day and night doesn't require each other to exist.
    It sort of would. Without the sun everything would die. On top of the fact that the moon would also stop shining light.
    Without the night, there would be a constant stream of heat that would probably kill everything from too much sunlight.

If there's no sun, that means no day ever. 24/7 night. However, 2 things. 1- This night would be horrible because everything would be dead and extreme ice-cold. 2- We wouldn't even need to qualify this as night. Day is used to describe when it's light and night to describe when it's dark. But if it were ALWAYS dark, the term would no longer exist because there would be no day to counteract it.
    Likewise with the sun.

However, because proper logic often doesn't apply around here, let this be my following argument:
    FC: 4441-9848-5442 (If you want any gen 1-6 starter, PM me or ask on steam)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Brohoof View Post
    It sort of would. Without the sun everything would die. On top of the fact that the moon would also stop shining light.
    Without the night, there would be a constant stream of heat that would probably kill everything from too much sunlight.

If there's no sun, that means no day ever. 24/7 night. However, 2 things. 1- This night would be horrible because everything would be dead and extreme ice-cold. 2- We wouldn't even need to qualify this as night. Day is used to describe when it's light and night to describe when it's dark. But if it were ALWAYS dark, the term would no longer exist because there would be no day to counteract it.
    Likewise with the sun.
    They would still exist even without the other, just without a name.

They would still exist even without the other, just without a name.
    But day and night are times of day. Used to distinguish one from another. But if the other does not exist, that means those times of day don't exist. So how can they exist?

*Lurk Lurk*

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    But day and night are times of day. Used to distinguish one from another. But if the other does not exist, that means those times of day don't exist. So how can they exist?
    Day and night are used (as you said before) to give a name to when it's dark and when it's light, that would still happen even if there wasn't the opposite. They would still exist, just not with the name we currently have for them.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    *Lurk Lurk*
    No. Bad Nikki. Unless you were pandaring. Then it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    *Lurk Lurk*
    Don't worry, you're not missing much. I'm rapidly running out of BS arguments to make, and there's no way in hell I'm going to make realistic and sensible ones, so I may go back to TF2 shortly.

Pro LoL is on and its to busy on Wow to quest.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Day and night are used (as you said before) to give a name to when it's dark and when it's light, that would still happen even if there wasn't the opposite. They would still exist, just not with the name we currently have for them.
    I was using the most basic concept of the day as perceived by most people. If we want to go by what night means by definition:
    "The period of darkness in each twenty-four hours; the time from sunset to sunrise."
    Night is strictly defined by the time from when the sun sets to when it rises. The only reason we can understand the concept of night time in the first place is by having the time of day. Everything that is done revolves around what we do during the day, and what we do during the night.

The idea of night is a period of time. The CHARACTERISTICS of that period of time are stuff like darkness. It's not DEFINED by its characteristics, those are just used to identify that period of time. Night is still a period of time, but people confuse darkness and coldness as part of night's definition as opposed to its characteristics.

Deleted
    This debate amuses me.

Please continue <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirusianna View Post
    This debate amuses me.

Please continue <3
    TL : DR for all of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they wouldn't, because we wouldn't be alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was using the most basic concept of the day as perceived by most people. If we want to go by what night means by definition:
    "The period of darkness in each twenty-four hours; the time from sunset to sunrise."
    Night is strictly defined by the time from when the sun sets to when it rises. The only reason we can understand the concept of night in the first place is by having day to compare with it. Everything that is done revolves around what we do during the day, and what we do during the night.

The idea of night is a period of time. The CHARACTERISTICS of that period of time are darkness. It's not DEFINED by its characteristics, those are just used to identify that period of time.
    But then how can there be night up above the arctic circle during the winter? The sun doesn't rise, but is still called night.
    This debate amuses me.

Please continue <3
    Wait, if this amuses Ziru we must stop. We can't have Ziru being entertained!

Deleted
    This debate amuses me.

Please continue <3
    Ziru commands it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaedris View Post
    Ziru commands it!
    It isn't a command if you say please. It's a request.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoroar View Post
    more like that D:
    But he only has one other song that he sings.

Deleted
    Wait, if this amuses Ziru we must stop. We can't have Ziru being entertained!
    Or we could just tie you to a tree and gag you to keep you quiet.

But then how can there be night up above the arctic circle during the winter? The sun doesn't rise, but is still called night.
    Exactly my point! How do they identify it?
    By time. The periods of time. Day and Night.

How did they get those periods of time?
    Outside news of the sun and moon, which had then formed a calender to determine which is where, a long time ago. If we did not have one or the other, however, this would screw everything up. Our calenders would no longer be able to determine which is which because they relied on the relation to the sun.

If we were covered by clouds so thick that we didn't see the sun or moon, or have the ability to tell the difference, we'd still have a day and night. Why? Because they are periods of time. Whether we can see the sun or moon does not change the time. But we still use them to decide what period of time we are in, now that we've recorded the movement schedules and know where the sun and moon will be in
    relation to us.

Deleted
    This debate amuses me.

Please continue <3
    It's pretty stupid in my opinion. People deliberately misunderstanding each other just so they could argue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaedris View Post
    Or we could just tie you to a tree and gag you to keep you quiet.
    But then I wouldn't be able to keep up the discussion which would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? But really, I wouldn't mind.