Exclamation Is imagination just as important as knowledge?

Knowledge just encompasses all we currently understand inside a box. While imagination is not contained by a box and can encompass everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is.

If you don't have much knowledge, you're probably going to imagine a lot of really stupid shit.

it depends on what you are doing, but most of the time they both help expand each other.
    for arts imagination is more important, for engineering knowledge is more important, but for both both are vital.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

Quote Originally Posted by hulksmash View Post
    While imagination is not contained by a box and can encompass everything.
    Imagining nonsense is not a substitute for actually knowing things.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Imagining nonsense is not a substitute for actually knowing things.
    It's a whole lot easier though...

15+ Year Old Account
    Important how?

Advances in scientific and technical knowledge come from having a sufficient understanding of the current state of knowledge, knowing where the questions are, putting pieces together, and testing hypotheses. Imagination and 'inspiration' do have a role in realizing what's possible and putting the pieces together differently than anyone's ever done before for new hypotheses, but no one ever could have imagined an iPhone or an jet or immunization into existence.

But then again, culture and even consciousness might be impossible without the capability we call imagination.

Depends on what you're doing with either. You can have knowledge of how things work, by the book. Or you can imagine new things, and have the knowledge to bring them into reality.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I would consider the both important, as I view imagination as innovation and knoweledge as understanding.

The two can work very well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    Important how?

Advances in scientific and technical knowledge come from having a sufficient understanding of the current state of knowledge, knowing where the questions are, putting pieces together, and testing hypotheses. Imagination and 'inspiration' do have a role in realizing what's possible and putting the pieces together differently than anyone's ever done before for new hypotheses, but no one ever could have imagined an iPhone or an jet or immunization into existence.

But then again, culture and even consciousness might be impossible without the capability we call imagination.
    I guess you answered your own question. You usually have to imagine it before you can achieve it. Imagination gives us hope, drive, inspiration. Without it we would always be content with where we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    "Sir, you'll have to move, you are blocking the fire exit."
    "Excuse me, but if you have legs and are flammable, you are NEVER blocking a fire exit." I'd run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post
    Actually, the deluge has been very enlightening to me. Lesson of the week is to not go out of your way to treat people with respect because there is a 90% chance they are narcissistic douchebags.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If you don't have much knowledge, you're probably going to imagine a lot of really stupid shit.
    Hahaha. I think I agree with this. Knowledge by itself can be useful, but imagination by itself seems rather useless.

Deleted
    Actually quite well put, I'd have to agree with this.

Deleted
    Depends a lot on what you work with, there is a large number of tasks where knowledge is the only thing that matters.

Our imagination and curiosity are vitally important when it comes to advancing, some say it's what sets us apart from the other animals on this planet. But that doesn't mean you should entertain and pretend that all you can imagine is true or can be true, this is called gullibility.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Indeed. Think of cooking, for example:

If you've never cooked anything in your entire life, and suddenly feel like inventing a new recipe, It's most likely going to be shit. If you already know a few recipes, though, you can use that information to create something new and delicious (maybe).
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Both are crucial. Knowledge without imagination means you can't put the knowledge to a creative use. We have computers now if you just need something with a ton of raw information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    You can't live without both! :P

You need imagination to develop your knowledge and vice versa, that's what I think.

Deleted
    Yes it is, and they should go together, hand in hand.
    Knowledge alone makes you live in a box, the box of what you know, but whenever something comes up that is outside the box, it's dismissed until the proof is so great for the thing that you have to put it in the box.

Imagination alone sits on the other extreme. You just dream of stuff, but you don't know much, and as such the means of expressing your imagination in creative ways is crippled.

Together though they're amazing. Imagination gives the ideas, the engine of progression, and knowledge helps put the ideas in practice.

Deleted

Last edited by mmoc79af5b64ea; 2012-09-28 at 03:01 PM.

it would depend on what you are expecting from a person. i prefer an accountant with more knowledge, not creativity. an artist i would want the opposite. as far as an overall view, i view both as equally important i guess