Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Hunter dps in MoP

Hi there, new here, but after reading I have a few questions.

I've noticed many hunters are using Dire Beast AND lynx rush. Is there a reason? I figured for both BM and Surv, Murder of Crows and Thrill of the hunt would be higher dps gains, is this not true or is it preference?

Secondly, Are both Bm and Surv pulling about the same dps ( as low as it may be according to some people ) .

Thanks.

Dire Beast is the theoretical highest dps for any spec. TOTH is stronger for anything involving AOE (read: Random heroics, which is what you should be spamming right now).
    Dire beast and fervor simply aren't usefull in a random dungeon due to targets not living for very long, and relatively long amounts of downtime to regen your focus between packs, so I'd pick TotH any day if I'm in a random.

As for DPS, BM is still way too clunky. I outdpsed my fellow guildy in a random (roughly same level of skill) by about 25% as surv VS BM.
    As for DPS overall, I still maintain that BM will be too clunky in a real raid setting to play, without sacrifising your usefullness to the raid and becomming a tunneling menace. The pet won't switch fast enough, you won't do nearly as good AOE, you're limited to only attacking stuff that is "in melee range" properly (so nothing like dpsing blackhorn's drakes while they're flying to/from), and the micro-management needed for the spec to work on the same level as surv is simply absurd.
    And numbers - in 454 average, I managed 58.5K dps on Garalon, with an elemental shaman being the only one clocking in above me (at 62K). After me came a 54K surv hunter, a 51K prot warrior, a 50K enh shaman, and a 50K ele shaman.
    So top of the pack so far in my guild, in any case.

Right now I prefer survival. I like it a lot, and always have. I'm not level 90 yet, but i'm glad that hunters are as bad as what people are saying.

You're glad that hunters are as bad as people are saying? That's certainly not what I'm glad about.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    As dire beast vs TotH was covered already, lynx rush scales very well for bm because it sclaes well with your pet dmg increase. It is also more versatile than Blink strike because it can be used in bot aoe and single target scenarios.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    As for DPS, BM is still way too clunky. I outdpsed my fellow guildy in a random (roughly same level of skill) by about 25% as surv VS BM.
    As for DPS overall, I still maintain that BM will be too clunky in a real raid setting to play, without sacrifising your usefullness to the raid and becomming a tunneling menace. The pet won't switch fast enough, you won't do nearly as good AOE, you're limited to only attacking stuff that is "in melee range" properly (so nothing like dpsing blackhorn's drakes while they're flying to/from), and the micro-management needed for the spec to work on the same level as surv is simply absurd.
    And numbers - in 454 average, I managed 58.5K dps on Garalon, with an elemental shaman being the only one clocking in above me (at 62K). After me came a 54K surv hunter, a 51K prot warrior, a 50K enh shaman, and a 50K ele shaman.
    So top of the pack so far in my guild, in any case.
    I'm struggling to do 40k+ on my hunter in hc's, surv aoe is mental but the single target hit's for less than it did in DS which seem's fairly stupid, could you take a look @ my mains amoury and see if im doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Demios View Post
    I'm struggling to do 40k+ on my hunter in hc's, surv aoe is mental but the single target hit's for less than it did in DS which seem's fairly stupid, could you take a look @ my mains amoury and see if im doing something wrong?
    You want to hit up your socket bonuses, as you get 160 secondary stat and 80 agil in blue/yellow sockets, rather than 80/80 as in cata.
    You're missing enchants, which helps a significant deal due to our scaling. They're dirt cheap right now, and you should have gotten enough mats from just derping around in instances/levelling, that you can fully enchant your gear a few times with "welfare"-enchants.
    Your expertise and hit are both low - are you sure you're instance-capped? (Need enough to hit lvl 92 mobs).
    Our stat priority now would be Agil>Hit+Expertise>Crit>Haste>Mastery - part due to the fact that alot more of our damage is physical now (we have glaive toss, and our pet/auto shot do a significantly larger part of our damage), part due to the fact that we, once again, want to shoot for the 1.66 cast time on cobra - it's not AS important now as it was before, as we can mostly get away with 2x cobra and 1x instant in between each explosive shot, but it actually does help in the cases when we can't - more so than mastery.

Deleted
    You want to hit up your socket bonuses, as you get 160 secondary stat and 80 agil in blue/yellow sockets, rather than 80/80 as in cata.
    You're missing enchants, which helps a significant deal due to our scaling. They're dirt cheap right now, and you should have gotten enough mats from just derping around in instances/levelling, that you can fully enchant your gear a few times with "welfare"-enchants.
    Your expertise and hit are both low - are you sure you're instance-capped? (Need enough to hit lvl 92 mobs).
    Our stat priority now would be Agil>Hit+Expertise>Crit>Haste>Mastery - part due to the fact that alot more of our damage is physical now (we have glaive toss, and our pet/auto shot do a significantly larger part of our damage), part due to the fact that we, once again, want to shoot for the 1.66 cast time on cobra - it's not AS important now as it was before, as we can mostly get away with 2x cobra and 1x instant in between each explosive shot, but it actually does help in the cases when we can't - more so than mastery.
    Thanks for the reply, gonna enchant my 463 gear and see if i jump up, i think im a tad off expertise cap so i'll make sure that's hit, is stat prior for surv the same as bm?(assuming as bm is goes crit>mastery>haste.

Also i find crow's clunky and painful to use, how do you go about using it fluidly?
    And how is single target surv? i'm finding it pitifully low.
    Last edited by mmoc63942041bb; 2012-09-28 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks for the reply, gonna enchant my 463 gear and see if i jump up, i think im a tad off expertise cap so i'll make sure that's hit, is stat prior for surv the same as bm?(assuming as bm is goes crit>mastery>haste
    Dont know about BM, as I've said multiple times the past days, I'm not going to touch the spec with a ten-foot pole, unless it does like, 10% more dps than surv.

I meant to say aren't. And I thought I heard survivals dps is very good single target.

Also i find crow's clunky and painful to use, how do you go about using it fluidly?
    And how is single target surv? i'm finding it pitifully low.
    Just to answer that - I don't bother using Crows outside of boss-fights. Usually, my opener on a boss will be:
    Explo shot.
    Black Arrow.
    Glaive Toss.
    Rapid Fire.
    Cobra Shot.
    Cobra Shot.
    Explo Shot.
    Murder of crows.
    and then just stabilising my focus from there on out. Basicly, I want my up-front damage shots out before AMOC, and as I reset the cooldown of my AMOC with readiness anyway, pushing it back for a bit doesn't matter, as there's never time for a third before the boss dies anyway. When I readiness, I go off the same priority - ES>BA (unless it's up on target)>Glaive Toss, and AMOC when it runs out on the target (stop arcane shotting for a few to build enough focus).

Dont know about BM, as I've said multiple times the past days, I'm not going to touch the spec with a ten-foot pole, unless it does like, 10% more dps than surv.
    What is the stat priority for Survival?

Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    What is the stat priority for Survival?
    As said earlier in the post, Agil>Hit+Expertise caps>Crit>Haste>Mastery (yada yada, want 1.66 CS casts again, more phys dmg from pet/auto shot/glaive toss/kill shot than in cata).

10+ Year Old Account
    I do 60K+ dps single target as BM >.> gear ftw

10+ Year Old Account
    After running 30+ heroics as both Survival and BM, I can confidently say it doesn't really matter which spec you play. Survival is better on larger AoE pulls (see: challenge modes, zerging heroic trash), BM is better on single target and has much better burst. Pick the one you like or the one that fits the situation at hand.

As for our DPS compared to other classes, I've been significantly ahead in my guild runs on everything but large trash pulls as BM. Tanks and Demo Locks smoke me on AoE, but I'm definitely the best single-target DPS in my (high skill-level) guild. As Survival I'm WAY ahead on AoE and competitive single-target.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceshotz1 View Post
    I do 60K+ dps single target as BM >.> gear ftw
    A lot of people keep making posts like this and yes, it's true, you do higher DPS with more gear. The issue people are having and seeing is that when other classes have the same gear and equal skill level of play, those other classes are simply doing more.

Yes, I have gear and I am gemmed correctly and I am able to pull 55-65k single target on fights. The issue is that a mage or lock in 463 gear is pulling 85-90k. I've been completely crushed by mages and locks regularly.

---------- Post added 2012-09-28 at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    After running 30+ heroics as both Survival and BM, I can confidently say it doesn't really matter which spec you play. Survival is better on larger AoE pulls (see: challenge modes, zerging heroic trash), BM is better on single target and has much better burst. Pick the one you like or the one that fits the situation at hand.

As for our DPS compared to other classes, I've been significantly ahead in my guild runs on everything but large trash pulls as BM. Tanks and Demo Locks smoke me on AoE, but I'm definitely the best single-target DPS in my (high skill-level) guild. As Survival I'm WAY ahead on AoE and competitive single-target.

Also to the people saying they are beating their "high skill-level" guildies and such: what kind of numbers are they pulling? You may compare to them, but unless they're doing 75-90k DPS single target, they're performing sub-par. And if you're pulling 75-90k dps I would love to see that and know how you're doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NGRazor
    If Russia suddenly put Satan in charge of their nukes and then they sent hellfire down on the Untied States, don't you think the U.S. would be pretty damn pissed when Russia said "well, we didn't know Satan would betray us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archeye View Post
    A lot of people keep making posts like this and yes, it's true, you do higher DPS with more gear. The issue people are having and seeing is that when other classes have the same gear and equal skill level of play, those other classes are simply doing more.

Yes, I have gear and I am gemmed correctly and I am able to pull 55-65k single target on fights. The issue is that a mage or lock in 463 gear is pulling 85-90k. I've been completely crushed by mages and locks regularly.
    are u talking about AoE fights?? or single target.. i've yet to see someone pull 80k+ single target

Just to answer that - I don't bother using Crows outside of boss-fights. Usually, my opener on a boss will be:
    Explo shot.
    Black Arrow.
    Glaive Toss.
    Rapid Fire.
    Cobra Shot.
    Cobra Shot.
    Explo Shot.
    Murder of crows.
    and then just stabilising my focus from there on out. Basicly, I want my up-front damage shots out before AMOC, and as I reset the cooldown of my AMOC with readiness anyway, pushing it back for a bit doesn't matter, as there's never time for a third before the boss dies anyway. When I readiness, I go off the same priority - ES>BA (unless it's up on target)>Glaive Toss, and AMOC when it runs out on the target (stop arcane shotting for a few to build enough focus).
    please pardon the dumb question, but does omitting SS above mean it's just implied? Or are you not using it? If using, better to let it drop and re-apply?
    Last edited by Jake1121; 2012-09-28 at 06:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archeye View Post
    Also to the people saying they are beating their "high skill-level" guildies and such: what kind of numbers are they pulling? You may compare to them, but unless they're doing 75-90k DPS single target, they're performing sub-par. And if you're pulling 75-90k dps I would love to see that and know how you're doing it.
    There are NO classes doing 75k+ DPS single target in 463 gear. I have yet to see anyone do over 62k or so. I'm at 461 ilvl and I pull 52-58k generally. That puts me comfortably ahead of everyone I have played with so far.

Hunter damage is fine as far as im concerned. Topping every heroic i've been running as survival (our aoe is still retarded) and 40-50k single target dps as well.

ilevel 448