Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New PC won't boot!

This is my first build ever and I've spent almost 7 hours getting everything ready, so I plugged the PSU and the monitor in and pressed the power button.... nothing.... I noticed that when I turned it on the, what I assume is a BIOS switch (little button says BIOS and two swirly arrows, switch BIOS maybe) flashes blue and two green lights appear on my GPU. When I hit the power button again the BIOS light goes off and the GPU light goes off. The fans don't turn on, the H80 doesn't start the drive lights don't come on my LED around the computer doesn't even come on..... just a blue BIOS light and some small green LEDs on the GPU and mobo.

What's the go?

So much for building your own PC being the better option.... >_>

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

what are all your specs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    GTX 680 DirectCUII ASUS
    16GB corsair vengeance ddr3 RAM
    Corsair ax850 PSU
    i5-3570k
    Corsair H80 CPU cooler

Deleted
    You have both the 24 pin AND the 4-8 pin wire plugged into motherboard properly?

The 24 pin can be tight and not clip in properly sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, 24 pin is in, there's only one 8pin connector on the board for CPU power and yea that's is properly as well.

---------- Post added 2012-09-28 at 09:36 PM ----------

Eh, I'm too tired for this shit, I've been researching building a computer for almost a year now, buy an awesome rig for $2500, take the day off work because I'm so excited to build it and out of all the things that could've gone wrong......

won't even power up....

So angry right now it's unbelievable. And sad.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    So much for building your own PC being the better option.... >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    Eh, I'm too tired for this shit, I've been researching building a computer for almost a year now, buy an awesome rig for $2500, take the day off work because I'm so excited to build it and out of all the things that could've gone wrong......

won't even power up....

So angry right now it's unbelievable. And sad.....
    Take a breath. It is the better option, but there's obviously a hardware issue or user error (more likely) that's preventing you from finishing. If it turns out to be a hardware issue, welcome to PC building. It's simply comes with the territory, and a simple RMA fixes the problem.

Anyway, is the H80 connected to the motherboard header? Is it also connected to your PSU? Did you install your motherboard standoffs? Did you properly ground yourself while building?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Dang man sorry, type in your question in places like Toms Hardware, ppl seem to know everything there and i always get my questions resolved.

Deleted
    Take the psu and gfx card out the case and start again. The ram is clipped in properly too?

Probably 90% of RMA stuff is due to builders forgetting something.

---------- Post added 2012-09-28 at 12:55 PM ----------

Also check you have the power button plugged into right place on motherboard..

15+ Year Old Account
    Building your own PC is the better the option, the fact that you have either done something wrong (like not plugged in a certain cable) or that one (or more) pieces of the hardware you bought could be faulty doesn't change that fact. If it is just because you missed something, don't be disheartened from it, it's your first time building a PC, when you find the mistake (if it is one, and not fault parts), you'll have learnt from it. As said above, take a break, have a cup of tea or something, then come back to it with a bit more of a clear mind.

An idea might, assuming you have a camera, is to take pictures of your motherboard close up, so people here can see what cables are plugged in where etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jadenprince View Post
    Dang man sorry, type in your question in places like Toms Hardware, ppl seem to know everything there and i always get my questions resolved.
    This.
    Have you checked your mobo manual? To know what the lights mean.

Found the following on newegg feedback.
    I try to start it up and nothing happens, just a green light.
    We apologize for the issue you had with the motherboard.

The green LED is standby power. It stays on when you plug in the 24-pin. This normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I admit I haven't read the thread fully but il give you my tip which I screwed up one at first.

Make sure the mobo is not touching the metal, usually the machine won't boot and when you hit the power switch it will instantly depower and turn off. So make sure you installed the screws/washers below the mobo
    -K

Is there a power switch on your PSU that might be off. I have been known to not turn the PSU on after building my computer.

If your PSU has a voltage switch make sure it's on the correct option. Some PSUs have it some don't, can't remember if yours would.

Try shorting the power pins with a paperclip/knife on the motherboard to turn it on, bypassing a button push.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fixed!

Sorry about the rage.... I was tired, had a bad day at work and came to these forums absolutely furious.

I got up in the morning reconnected all the plugs, re routed a few things and sorted out a few messy cables, turned it on and it worked.

It must have been a loose power connector or something.

Thanks for all the replies though, it's nice to see people wanted to help.

Oops, seems like you fixed it..

10+ Year Old Account
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddd it stopped working.........

Moved it to my room, press the power button, nothing.... again...

I've checked all of the connections. I've tried different power boards, I've even just plugged it straight into the wall.

Gah...

10+ Year Old Account
    To double check: Is the motherboard separated from the actual case by 6-9 brass risers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, I've got 9 of them in there right now, just double checked.

Did you make sure that the little plug that connects your power/reset button and HDD leds etc is properly fastened? an annoying thing with the sabertooth cards is, they sometimes lose connection during transport.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're all sitting in place.

---------- Post added 2012-09-29 at 09:44 AM ----------

I just can't see what went wrong... I moved it like 8 meters down a hallway, didn't bump anything... I made sure I was being really careful.