What is today's American Dream?

What is the American Dream?

In considering all that we face in contemporary society, I would be interested in your concept of the, "American Dream." In a sense, rethink your concept of the good life and comment on whether you are optimistic or pessimistic about achieving the dream as you define it.

Other questions to consider:
    • What experiences have you had in your life that you think have been most significant in shaping your concept of the good life?
    • Do you think there is a common/collective concept of the good life/American Dream, or do you think it is now more of an individual concept?
    • Is there any need for a common dream among members of a society?

We just had this thread. It ended with non-Americans getting angry that Americans have labeled something common with more countries than just the US as an "American Dream", and Americans hooting about how the dream is dead.

It's just such a vague topic that people misinterpret this way and that that it's hard to get any meaningful discussion out of it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose for me it would entail:

A) being happily married (with or without kids, personal choice)
    B) owning a nice house (and nice stuff to go in the house)
    C) having a lucrative career that you at least somewhat enjoy (with good overall financial stability)
    D) being in good health (your wife too and kids if you have them)
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    the average Joe dream in America is to pay his debts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post

C) having a lucrative career that you at least somewhat enjoy (with good overall financial stability)
    Seems like it's still the same as ever. I bet most people still think the same.

having bacon in every meal is the american dream

or the fact that they represent the world also an american dream

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    We just had this thread. It ended with non-Americans getting angry that Americans have labeled something common with more countries than just the US as an "American Dream", and Americans hooting about how the dream is dead.

It's just such a vague topic that people misinterpret this way and that that it's hard to get any meaningful discussion out of it.
    its not that vague, & the other countries did not actually have anything like it at all. which is why their people came here in pursuit of it.
    quote from an immigrant:
    ”The German emigrant comes into a country free from the despotism, privileged orders and monopolies, intolerable taxes, and constraints in matters of belief and conscience. Everyone can travel and settle wherever he pleases. No passport is demanded, no police mingles in his affairs or hinders his movements....Fidelity and merit are the only sources of honor here. The rich stand on the same footing as the poor; the scholar is not a mug above the most humble mechanics; no German ought to be ashamed to pursue any occupation....[In America] wealth and possession of real estate confer not the least political right on its owner above what the poorest citizen has. Nor are there nobility, privileged orders, or standing armies to weaken the physical and moral power of the people, nor are there swarms of public functionaries to devour in idleness credit for. Above all, there are no princes and corrupt courts representing the so-called divine 'right of birth.' In such a country the talents, energy and perseverance of a person...have far greater opportunity to display than in monarchies."

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    its not that vague, & the other countries did not actually have anything like it at all. which is why their people came here in pursuit of it.
    quote from an immigrant:
    You're giving me a quote from the mid 19th century. Good job. We're talking about the here and now, if the "American Dream" is still relevant.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

You're giving me a quote from the mid 19th century. Good job. We're talking about the here and now, if the "American Dream" is still relevant.
    the meaning has not changed significantly. its something we strive for, to ensure equality & opportunity for all.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    the meaning has not changed significantly. its something we strive for, to ensure equality & opportunity for all.
    So you're saying that here and now, people from other countries have just as little opportunity as they did in the 19th century? That's what I'm arguing -- the context of the quote you linked is from the 19th century, in a reply that says other countries did not have the opportunity, when I'm talking about right now. Your first post was a reply to me saying that non-Americans were upset in the last thread (and they were) that the American Dream was something labeled American, as if their countries didn't have that same Dream. Linking something from the past is unrelated, because we're arguing about the present time, if the American Dream is really still American.

So you're saying that here and now, people from other countries have just as little opportunity as they did in the 19th century? That's what I'm arguing -- the context of the quote you linked is from the 19th century, in a reply that says other countries did not have the opportunity, when I'm talking about right now. Your first post was a reply to me saying that non-Americans were upset in the last thread (and they were) that the American Dream was something labeled American, as if their countries didn't have that same Dream. Linking something from the past is unrelated, because we're arguing about the present time, if the American Dream is really still American.
    its called that cause we had it first. its an american concept, adopted by other countries (and good for them for it).

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post

Pretty much this. Notice he says career and not job. They call it the American Dream because between 1950-1970 Americans could achieve the above easier then any country in the world.

Now tuition rates and medical expenses have sky rocketed. Also banks are hardly lending because they are not making any profits on these new low interest rates. Happily married is a subjective term because the womans movement has essentially allow women to act the same way guy have for centuries.

Surviving. Everything else is just a luxury.