Thread: Chrono Trigger

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Chrono Trigger

It's coming up a lot in recent threads about old games. Why do people like it so much? I played through and didn't think anything of it, though I never played it when it was new.

Can someone explain to me why people idolize it so much?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played it not when it was new but still during the 90s and it was so good I still love the music in the game and the story for me was so good and the combat was amazing with combo moves and all, I guess I just really liked the game cause it made me care so much, like when chrono dies and frogs story almost had me in tears during certain parts and getting the masamune fixed up, and also multiple endings and new game + for me personally the game had everything I wanted and I still hold it very high today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

Iconic music, cool story, enjoyable gameplay.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    it's better than the games today. A lot of work and art was put to the game as of todays games you just get an arrow over the top telling you were to go having options to complete the quest or not then move on to the next one. it's all straight forward Old games are complete new games are rushed not complete filled with bugs and having to pay more money DLC total 110$ or more per game. As of today i am still playing old games from 2004 or earlier

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    It's coming up a lot in recent threads about old games. Why do people like it so much? I played through and didn't think anything of it, though I never played it when it was new.

Can someone explain to me why people idolize it so much?
    You really have to play through it multiple times to really get the understanding of why its loved so much in game+ mode freaking awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narveid View Post
    Iconic music, cool story, enjoyable gameplay.
    And the fact that it had several endings, and basically several ways to play it. Graphics don't make a game, gameplay does, and CT has that in spades. If you didn't like it, then that's your opinion. But worldwide it's considered one of the best RPGs ever.

There's also the loose argument that if you didn't play it back then, or in general didn't play games back in that decade, you aren't going to like it too much. I've noticed that the vast majority of people who don't like games like Chrono Trigger, Secrets of Evermore, hell, even FFVII, are typically younger generations and/or didn't get into gaming until after 2000 or so. Those of us who have been playing since man was bashing rocks together for entertainment got to experience these things as they came out, and that says a lot for a game. I can still fire up CT and remember the awe I felt the first time I beat Lavos, the sadness I felt when Aeris died, and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

best racing music ever it has hehe

I never played it while it was current (spent most of my SNES time on Super Metroid and Demons Crest). I tried it on the ZSNES emulator last year and thought it was kind of "meh". Maybe I need to give it some more time.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I found a pretty cheap SNES emulator for my phone that I have been playing it lately and so far I have to agree that it is a great game. As others have said the music is good and I really like the double technique part of combat. I don't recall any other games having anything similar back in the day. I am only at the factory though and just got the robot so I am not to far into the game.

The music, story, characters, and gameplay are all incredibly top notch.

Great composing makes for a great game. Story itself is one of the best RPGs of all time as well, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    The music, story, characters, and gameplay are all incredibly top notch.
    Best generalization that could be made. When I played it, I actually felt like I was part of the story, not just witnessing it. It was a feeling that I had yet to experience in a game up to that point. There are some really deep themes in the game too.

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Great composing makes for a great game. Story itself is one of the best RPGs of all time as well, in my opinion.
    I miss your Schala signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I miss your Schala signature!
    I wanted to comment on your outfit before, actually, but when I first saw it it was in a thread about Diablo 3 or something, wouldn't have been very related =p

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I wanted to comment on your outfit before, actually, but when I first saw it it was in a thread about Diablo 3 or something, wouldn't have been very related =p
    My PM box is always open to everyone!

I was actually toying around with a Schala theme for my avatar/signature but I like what I have going right now. Plus I'm lazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    My PM box is always open to everyone!

I was actually toying around with a Schala theme for my avatar/signature but I like what I have going right now. Plus I'm lazy.
    I always wondered how a one-eyed person can be an effective combatant, what with the whole blind side thing. Then again Beatrix tended to get the crap kicked out of her every time she showed up :-/
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I always wondered how a one-eyed person can be an effective combatant, what with the whole blind side thing. Then again Beatrix tended to get the crap kicked out of her every time she showed up :-/
    Depth perception is over-rated. Just ask Frog.

Depth perception is over-rated. Just ask Frog.
    Frog was my buddy, Ayla + Frog + Chrono team set up, all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Frog was my buddy, Ayla + Frog + Chrono team set up, all day long.
    That was my main group too, though sometimes I subbed in Magus for Frog if I was zerging something that I needed to nuke with spells. That didn't happen often though. Ayla with a berserking accessory was an unstoppable juggernaut, especially when she started hitting the damage limit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only was CT great, but I am one of the few of my friends that really enjoyed Chrono Cross. It also had pretty awesome story dynamics.

Chrono Trigger really had it all though. The art was amazing (thank you Akira Toriyama) The music was a lot of fun, it really set the mood for each zone quite well. And the combat was (at the time) revolutionary. Not many games were using combo techniques in turn based RPG's. Since the game revolves around time travel, utilizing time travel to power game was a ton of fun for me since i'm a horrible min maxer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Not only was CT great, but I am one of the few of my friends that really enjoyed Chrono Cross. It also had pretty awesome story dynamics.
    I also really enjoyed Chrono Cross. I loved exploring the ramifications of your actions from the first game, and I actually found that more interesting than the story from Chrono Trigger. Chronopolis and the Frozen Sea were total mind-fucks.