Thread: Hawken

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Hawken

Hawken is a free to play mech first-person-shooter. Open beta just started. Head on over to their website and give it a try: http://www.playhawken.com/

Here are some videos to give you an idea what it is like.

Live action trailer:
    Last edited by Xenogeist; 2012-12-14 at 05:42 PM. Reason: updated information

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know but I don't see anything exciting or new about this game.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    I would agree that there's nothing new about the game, but it's the quality of what's going on and the speed/style of it all that I really like so far. It's as if someone crossed SHOGO and Mechwarrior.

I signed up a few days ago and just got an email that I got into the Alpha 2, so gonna try it out. Looks awesome, love the heavy feel of the mechs. Will have to see what really sets it apart from other FPS.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    I have read a few articles about it and watched a few videos. I like what I see and if I can get some buddies to try it out with me then I will definitely give it a shot but, the game is pretty niche as far online games go. I wonder about the barrier for entry or the learning curve of the game. The wealth of games available as FtP or BtP online games is making me manic. Too many games to experience!
    I have a propensity for rational and evolving thought... what am I doing on a forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Bebopin View Post
    I wonder about the barrier for entry or the learning curve of the game.
    I just finished playing a round of deathmatch and my KD was 5/7 which is not terrible considering it was my first time ever hehe.

The game is great though. It truly, really feels like you are driving a bigass mech, and the weapons feel enormous and awesome. Not sure how much I'm supposed to talk about it though, since it's still under NDA, but I recommend signing up for the alpha.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    I guess when you look at it as just another FPS yeah, it may seem like more of the same shoot-em-until-they're-dead gameplay. I'm not even a big fan of first person shooters but what gets me excited I guess is the look and feel of the mechs and the visuals and that this is free to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I just finished playing a round of deathmatch and my KD was 5/7 which is not terrible considering it was my first time ever hehe.

The game is great though. It truly, really feels like you are driving a bigass mech, and the weapons feel enormous and awesome. Not sure how much I'm supposed to talk about it though, since it's still under NDA, but I recommend signing up for the alpha.
    Likewise, got something like 2-7 on my first match but was at 12-1 by my fifth so it's pretty easy to pick up the basics. Also agree on the feeling of the mechs, really seems like you have a lot of weight behind you when you're slamming through debri and obstacles.

The NDA is pretty confusing even as NDA's go on what can be discussed so better to be safe, the videos show pretty much all there is to see as far as gameplay goes currently though
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    The NDA is pretty confusing even as NDA's go on what can be discussed so better to be safe, the videos show pretty much all there is to see as far as gameplay goes currently though
    It's pretty straightforward actually. All you're really allowed to say is that you're a part of the alpha..

So far, it's interesting. Combat is very clunky, but it works that way and is enjoyable.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Deleted
    I watched TB's video and although when I first saw this thread before that it didn't catch up to me, I think it is kind of an awesome game from the looks of it. I like that the mechs are actually made to have weight and actually look robotic in movement and animations, rather then humanoid mechs or something. I also like it being a team effort to some degree and the graphics are really good.

It looks great, but there isn't much substance to it. Less like Shogo/Mechwarrior and more like Shogo/Unreal Tournament.

Dislike the tiny mechs, there's really no sense of being massive, just robotic.

Enjoying Mechwarrior: Online a lot more, but I've been more in the mood for a 100 ft tall mech-sim lately than a twitch shooter.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    It looks great, but there isn't much substance to it. Less like Shogo/Mechwarrior and more like Shogo/Unreal Tournament.

Dislike the tiny mechs, there's really no sense of being massive, just robotic.

Enjoying Mechwarrior: Online a lot more, but I've been more in the mood for a 100 ft tall mech-sim lately than a twitch shooter.
    I agree with pretty much all of this. I'm kinda scratching my head at some of the general design decisions

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think Hawken looks better than MW:O and captures the feeling of lumbering around in a giant mech better. The action may be faster paced but it is still slowed down from what you would expect from a 'twitch' shooter like Call of Duty.

I think MW:O should look to World of Tanks' combat system for a good example of slow, tactical combat done right if that is their goal.

I think Hawken also has a much better HUD and cockpit design.
    Here is MechWarrior's:

Hawken:
    Last edited by Xenogeist; 2012-10-02 at 03:53 AM.

So I'm assuming the game feels "heavy" when you move a-la MW2/MW3 (I didn't play the others).

I'm really excited about this. We need mech-sim games back in circulation like they were in the 90s.
    I'm still thinking about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    I'm of the opposite opinion. I think Hawken looks better than MW:O and captures the feeling of lumbering around in a giant mech better. The action may be faster paced but it is still slowed down from what you would expect from a 'twitch' shooter like Call of Duty.

I think MW:O should look to World of Tanks' combat system for a good example of slow, tactical combat done right if that is their goal.

I think Hawken also has a much better HUD and cockpit design.
    I'm in both betas and I'll let you know that this isn't true. Mech's in Hawken are about 10-15 feet tall. You do not feel big. You just feel like a spartan or any other guy in an armored suit. MWO feels like you are piloting a massive upright battletank. Only Jenners/Ravens/Metal Babbys (Commandos) feel tiny (and rightfully so, they are 25/35 ton mechs).

I wanted to avoid getting into specifics because both games are under NDAs but I am also in both betas. If size is the only thing that matters to you then yes, MechWarriors are bigger but not by as much as you seem to think. I think Hawken does a much better job of capturing the feeling of piloting a mech, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. If you want to talk specifics send me a private message, let's keep in mind the NDAs.
    Last edited by Xenogeist; 2012-10-02 at 03:39 PM.

MWO Founders and Hawken Alphas are allowed to state they are in, they just cannot disclose current game details. The size of BT mechs is well documented, and we haven't commented at all about NDA-bound content.

They are two different games. One is a Mech-Sim that focuses on team co-ordination, focused builds, and map knowledge. The other is a proper FPS more about twitch and pull.

Neither is bad, and I'll certainly be playing both, but preference for me tends to lie with the gametype I haven't played to death over the last 10 years. The fact I played UT2004 for 4 years straight doesn't help either.

Hawken just started open beta. http://www.playhawken.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    Hawken just started open beta. http://www.playhawken.com/
    Fuck...that was a sneaky wee launch...thanks for pointing that out