Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Game is still a blast for me. The legacy system made it so it its a big boon to have multiple 50s. At a casual rate of play that takes a while. Raids have gotten a lot better. PvP is only 4 battlegrounds but 2 of them are quite entertaining. Really boils down to just how much time you're playing. If you want to play one character 30+ hours/week yeah SWTOR isn't for you. If you want to screw around with buddies then avant guarde.

As for pass/fail I'd say the situation is mixed. Pretty sure EA got their money back but obviously SWTOR is on low-intensity development mode for the foreseeable future. Development is still faster than WoW so w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Here, this should settle the debate forever:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...-from-bioware/
    So the opinion of a glorified blogger is supposed to "settle the debate forever"?

It's a failure....I'd go as far to say its one of the biggest failures in gaming history. A major MMO with a $300 million budget, insane hype and developed by BIOWARE. Less than a year later and its ftp. If that's not a failure then someone explain to me what the hell would constitute a failure cause I have a hard time even thinking how a game could fail worse than SWTOR -_-. The only way I wouldn't consider it a failure was if it was some indy developer with 10% of that budget considering the state of it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by antelope591 View Post
    It's a failure....I'd go as far to say its one of the biggest failures in gaming history. A major MMO with a $300 million budget, insane hype and developed by BIOWARE. Less than a year later and its ftp. If that's not a failure then someone explain to me what the hell would constitute a failure cause I have a hard time even thinking how a game could fail worse than SWTOR -_-. The only way I wouldn't consider it a failure was if it was some indy developer with 10% of that budget considering the state of it right now.
    $300 million? I wonder how much this budget is going to swell before this debate is over. A billion? $300 million is so ridiculously far over even the most liberal estimations of how much the game cost. Nobody knows how much the game cost to make, but your number is way too high. To be honest, many video games don't even make the money back that they cost to produce. I think that it's safe to say that TOR did that. While that doesn't make it a success, it certainly doesn't make it "one of the biggest failures in gaming history".

I played it, I cancelled it. It barely ran on my PC, which runs MOP just fine though not on "Ultra" (My new PC does that).

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though I'm waiting for F2P to be implemented, I do not consider SWTOR a "failure".

I find most of the game creative and enjoyable to play, as far as MMOs go, it neither rocks the boat nor keeps precisely between the lines, and that's satisfactory to me. I feel that a lot of effort went into the game in order to keep it tied to the lore as best as possible, while also being creative within those bounds. I generally find the majority of the voice-acting to be very enjoyable and most of the class stories I find well written and immerse. I don't however find it creative or appealing enough to pay $15 a month for.

So, IMO, as a pay-to-pay MMO goes, I certainly do not consider SWTOR very successful. I think it would have been served better to have been developed by someone other than EA, and I am always sad BioWare is owned by them. I think a "tiered" account approach with F2P as a viable option at launch in addition to pay-to-play subscriptions for access to additional content would have drawn in more players and kept more players in the long run.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    So the opinion of a glorified blogger is supposed to "settle the debate forever"?
    Wouldn't say it settled anything, wasn't really about the subject here even, did however find it to be an interesting read, a couple of guys in the comments nailed it better than the blog it self though.

No its isn't fair. The game in some ways a very unique fresh breath, instead of working the lore around my character the lore was written with my character. I found myself immersed in every class, every story. TBH I want them to focus more and more on that. Maybe move away from the raiding scene and try to get a lot of smaller story content out, hell wouldn't mine seeing flashpoints that require only 3 people like scenario's in WoW that are story driven. But sadly like most Bioware games recently if it didn't meet the very specific requirements of the internet, people shit on it. And yes I liked DA2, and ME3, suck it.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    Did the game close for some reason? Unless the game stops developing new content you can't drop it as a failure or a success for that matter. One good patch/expansion changes everything, we should know this by now. Having said that, the biggest gripe i have with the developers of this game is the soon™. I mean with every developer insight its always the same story. If the start delivering on their latest promise of a minor patch every 6 weeks, then the future might be bright for them. I have read and heard some bright things about TFB, lets hope they deliver in PvP as well.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    I played it, I cancelled it. It barely ran on my PC, which runs MOP just fine though not on "Ultra" (My new PC does that).
    I think this accounts for a larger proportion of people unsubbing than people on the forums acknowledge. Most people voicing their opinions on the forums are quite heavily into their gaming and have the rigs to match so TORs poor performance on most > 12 months old 'off the shelf' machines goes relatively unnoticed.
    TOR was unplayable on my sons laptop, which runs WoW (and other games) absolutely fine, and my desktop struggles....in PvP if there are more than 5 people fighting in one place is like watching a flip chart slide show lol.

IMHO A LOT of the initial 2M purchasers will have looked at the system requirements and thought.....I have that....bought it, logged on, tried it for a few sessions unsubbed then never logged on again. If a company wants to maintain a player base of 2M+ subscribers they can't expect them all to have brand new off the shelf machines or specific gaming rigs, they need to cater for the masses who have older lower spec machines.

Deleted
    The Hero engine that Bioware used was in a terrible beta at the time, and that was instrumental in the outcome, imo.

It's still a fine game though!
    Last edited by mmoc3fe040ec5f; 2012-09-29 at 08:46 AM.

Deleted
    It's been a massive failure however you look at it, not a chance Bioware expected this game to be f2p after just 9 months. They probably made a great portion of money from box sales the game had a good start but still we are talking about one of the biggest developers in the world along with a massive IP in Star Wars they expected to be challenging WoW at this point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Precisely. RIFT never tried to be the WoW killer, though some fans certainly wanted to paint it in that light early on.
    but rift totally did. don't you remember those pathetic ads : "we're not in azeroth anymore"?

$300 million? I wonder how much this budget is going to swell before this debate is over. A billion? $300 million is so ridiculously far over even the most liberal estimations of how much the game cost. Nobody knows how much the game cost to make, but your number is way too high. To be honest, many video games don't even make the money back that they cost to produce. I think that it's safe to say that TOR did that. While that doesn't make it a success, it certainly doesn't make it "one of the biggest failures in gaming history".
    estimates from reasonable sources seem to drift between 150 to 200 million. I dont see how it costs that much, im sure 199 million of it is in admin, legal and marketing.

Deleted
    Yes, it's fair to say it's a failure and you can even add a big to that. One of the most disappointing games in the history of mmo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Precisely. RIFT never tried to be the WoW killer, though some fans certainly wanted to paint it in that light early on. RIFT does it's thing. That's why it doesn't feel like such a failure.
    If rift didnt aim for wow killer how come the trailer were saying WE ARE NOT IN AZEROTH ANYMORE :v.Rift is still good.

Played it for about 4-5 months actually (with a break halfway)
    2 chars to max level, did all the raids once, got good pvp gear, did the dungeons.
    Had a good time whilst it lasted.

Only WoW got more playtime out of me so far so I really wouldn't call it a failure for me.

Deleted
    The only obvious answer is : no.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    It's been a massive failure however you look at it, not a chance Bioware expected this game to be f2p after just 9 months. They probably made a great portion of money from box sales the game had a good start but still we are talking about one of the biggest developers in the world along with a massive IP in Star Wars they expected to be challenging WoW at this point.
    That's "failing to meet expectations" not "failure". Example. If you get a B, but you expect yourself to get an A, then you failed to meet expectations. If you get an F, you're a failure. Get the difference?

meh 300 million was the number thrown all over the forums after release...I haven't kept up with the actual official number. To me anything over 50 million was a huge waste of money regardless. I find it funny that people don't consider a failure because "it made its money back". Its star wars and bioware. They could've taken a shit in a box and made their money back. But not even the world's biggest haters would've predicted the game would be in the state its in just 9 months after release.