Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire DaHomieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cliffside Park, New Jersey
    Posts
    487

    Post WoW Megabloks Review

    EDIT: Thanks to Shamanic for resizing the pictures! Click the thumbnails to view the pictures!

    Before I start, I just wanted to say sorry about the picture quality, I was using my phone to take the pictures with flash on, making them too white and I was in a hurry. If anyone wants better pictures of a certain part, just drop a comment below and let me know; Now that I'm not busy I'll take a better picture with better lighting.

    Ok so, I haven't seen a thread about the new World of Warcraft Megabloks yet, and since I went out a bought all the sets except for one that my local Target had, I decided to take some pictures of the finished playsets for you guys to enjoy and know what to expect if you decide to buy them.

    The sets I have are: Barrens Chase, Flying Machine, Goblin Trike, Goblin Zeppelin Ambush, Sindragosa and the Lich King, Swift Gryphon, and Demolisher Attack.
    The sets I'm missing are: Valoren, Ironoak, Colton, Ragerock, Swift Gryphon, and Deathwing's Stormwind Assault.
    My local Target didn't have the 4 character boosters, nor the Swift Wyvern set, and I ran out of money to buy the final set they had, the 100 dollar Deathwing set.

    Now for pictures! Sorry I didn't take individual pictures, but if anyone wants I'll post them.

    The Horde. The zeppelin is really huge. The demolisher has a very neat shooting system, and so does the zeppelin. The trike is very neat and so is the RaF rocket mount. It's blades spin and seats two minifigures.


    The Alliance. The tower is very simple, and the small stationary catapult it comes with doesn't shoot far at all; It shoots it downward and it only goes forward like 3 inches. The ballista that comes with the zeppelin set is neat and shoots far. The gyrocopter is very cool but fragile as the parts don't stick well underneath it. One of the rotor blades won't spin due to the quality of Megabloks plastic; (More on that later). The gryphon and the nightsaber are wonderfully detailed and extremely pose able.


    The zeppelin set. Simply amazing. The build was fun as well. :P


    Close-up of the zeppelin.


    Lich King & the Frozen Throne + exclusive Cataclysm Thrall minifigure from Blizzcon 2011. The detail on the Lich King's armor and Frostmourne is fucking fantastic. It's god damn amazing.


    Sindragosa. She's pretty big so I had to put her on the lower shelf because she didn't fit alongside the other sets. So now she chills with Alathena Moonbreeze and Tyrael.


    Boxes. MEGA makes some nice boxes. Too bad they spend the money that they can be using for better quality plastic on shiny boxes. No Swift Gryphon and Goblin Trike boxes because I accidentally threw them out.


    Example of the insides of a box. They bent this particular instruction booklet. :l


    The zeppelin set box.


    The inside of the zeppelin set box.


    All the sets except the mount and booster sets, so basically only Barrens Chase and up, come with a small black "Secret Loot" packet, which contains either shoulderpads, chestpieces, helmets, or weapons. Sadly the boosters SHOULD come with a secret loot packet; I don't want to constantly buy 30 dollar sets just to get Bolvar's Lich King helm, or Judgement Armor helm, etc. Bad move MEGA.


    That's all for images. Now for my opinion about the sets:

    I grew up with Lego, and I was always puristic even as a kid, and never mixed anything with my Lego sets. I despised Megabloks because to be it was "fake and counterfeit Lego". But what more did I love then Lego? Warcraft. I remember getting the RTS games at 6 and playing hours until 2004 when I got WoW and played that to the present. When I walked into Blizzcon last year like I do every year, and saw the huge castle with the word "Megabloks" in the middle of Hall C, my heart sank. I always prayed Lego would collaborate with Warcraft. To find out it was MEGA made me a sad panda. Nonetheless, WoW sets will be the only Megabloks sets I'll ever buy.

    Enough of my sob story, on to the quality. If anyone has had Lego and Megabloks, they will know that Megabloks plastic is horribly cheap. The quality is horrendous. Pieces sometimes don't stick, and sometimes they're discolored. But when it comes to how much should it cost, the prices are reasonable for the piece count. What MEGA lacks in plastic quality they make up in detail. They pay attention to the smallest details. The zeppein for example is like an exact, clunky replica of the real deal Northrend zeppelin in-game. I was amazed when building it, putting together all the small details, like the mouth opening, to even the sand bags holding down the masts. Sometimes the paint job is off in some places, but it's barely noticeable to someone who isn't picky about the smallest shit like I am.

    Would I recommend WoW Megabloks? Answer: Fuck yeah. Setting aside the fact that it's Megabloks, and the plastic isn't up to par with Lego, the sets are all worth it. For both kids and adults, it's great. The sets have lots of customization options and playability for kids, and for adults they make an amazing decoration for your nerd cave. They look great on the shelf. The quality of the plastic makes the pieces fall off sometimes, making you reassemble here and there if you're playing with it, but if you build it and leave it on the shelf for decoration like I did, you'll have no problem at all.

    So yeah that's it for the review. As I said in the beginning, let me know if you'd like a picture of something specific. I'll gladly take a picture of it and post it in the thread.
    Last edited by DaHomieG; 2012-09-01 at 04:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    Would I recommend WoW Megabloks? Answer: Fuck yeah. Setting aside the fact that it's Megabloks, and the plastic isn't up to par with Lego, the sets are all worth it. For both kids and adults, it's great. The sets have lots of customization options and playability for kids, and for adults they make an amazing decoration for your nerd cave. They look great on the shelf. The quality of the plastic makes the pieces fall off sometimes, making you reassemble here and there if you're playing with it, but if you build it and leave it on the shelf for decoration like I did, you'll have no problem at all.
    As a one time huge Lego fanatic that's just unacceptable to me. It's been many years and I'm surprised that they haven't improved their quality.

    Activision should have went with Lego to "monetize" their asset. A Lego Warcraft game might have been interesting. Hell even the next expansion might fit better in the Lego realm... but that would have possibly been competition for WoW.

  3. #3
    Mechagnome Deathray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Coney Island
    Posts
    556
    Really nice! thinking of buying one or two for myself. X3
    Ultraviolence

  4. #4
    Megablocks instead of Legos? WoW is seriously going down the tubes! Whats next? Swords and armor made of cardboard instead of high quality pyrium!?! Madness I say! Blizzard is clearly out to ruin my life, everything I love and have ever cared about! This is the final straw! I quit!

  5. #5
    Stood in the Fire DaHomieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cliffside Park, New Jersey
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrules14 View Post
    Really nice! thinking of buying one or two for myself. X3
    You should! They're really nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Banzubie View Post
    Megablocks instead of Legos? WoW is seriously going down the tubes! Whats next? Swords and armor made of cardboard instead of high quality pyrium!?! Madness I say! Blizzard is clearly out to ruin my life, everything I love and have ever cared about! This is the final straw! I quit!
    I KNOW RIGHT.

    ...lmfao.

  6. #6
    I noticed my local Target is carrying them. When I have the cash, I plan on picking up as many of them as I can :-) I took a long look at the Sindy/LK set, and man, LOVED it. Also the one with Deathwing was freaking amazing as well...but for $100, that's gonna be a while.

    I agree about the mystery loots, they shouldn't come only in the big expensive sets. That means they're going to be pricey to pick up on ebay as well.

    And as for the quality of them not sticking together well...that's what man invented superglue for :-) I never plan on taking my (currently lego and some MEGA) sets apart, ever, so I put them together once to make sure everything's fine, nothing's missing, etc, then disassemble and reassemble them, but glue them together the second time. I have several of the MEGA Halo sets atm that are glued together, and frankly, some of them needed it >.>
    Last edited by endersblade; 2012-08-31 at 07:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord ViridianWRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rainbow Road
    Posts
    4,049
    I've been buying these myself as desktop decorations. They're very cute toys for moments of boredom. I like staging raid strategies or mini Battleground fights with them

  8. #8
    Stood in the Fire DaHomieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cliffside Park, New Jersey
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    I've been buying these myself as desktop decorations. They're very cute toys for moments of boredom. I like staging raid strategies or mini Battleground fights with them
    They're really cool, aren't they? x)

    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I noticed my local Target is carrying them. When I have the cash, I plan on picking up as many of them as I can :-) I took a long look at the Sindy/LK set, and man, LOVED it. Also the one with Deathwing was freaking amazing as well...but for $100, that's gonna be a while.

    I agree about the mystery loots, they shouldn't come only in the big expensive sets. That means they're going to be pricey to pick up on ebay as well.

    And as for the quality of them not sticking together well...that's what man invented superglue for :-) I never plan on taking my (currently lego and some MEGA) sets apart, ever, so I put them together once to make sure everything's fine, nothing's missing, etc, then disassemble and reassemble them, but glue them together the second time. I have several of the MEGA Halo sets atm that are glued together, and frankly, some of them needed it >.>
    Yeah the 100 dollar Deathwing one is gonna take a while for me, too. I HAVE the money, but I'm saving it for the Collector's Edition of MoP as well as the Collector's Edition of Black Ops II. And you should get the Lich King set if you like it! The amount of pieces isn't very good, since it's only the Throne, Arthas and Sindragosa, but the amount of detail on both Arthas and Sindragosa is incredible.

    And of my.. glue them? *shudder* That's so... unpure. o.o

  9. #9
    Thanks for the reviews

    I'm eventually going to pick up the sindragosa I think.

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire DaHomieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cliffside Park, New Jersey
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Thanks for the reviews

    I'm eventually going to pick up the sindragosa I think.
    Anytime!

  11. #11
    I would have been more interested in them if they were Lego to be honest.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    Would I recommend WoW Megabloks? Answer: Fuck yeah. Setting aside the fact that it's Megabloks, and the plastic isn't up to par with Lego, the sets are all worth it. For both kids and adults, it's great. The sets have lots of customization options and playability for kids, and for adults they make an amazing decoration for your nerd cave. They look great on the shelf. The quality of the plastic makes the pieces fall off sometimes, making you reassemble here and there if you're playing with it, but if you build it and leave it on the shelf for decoration like I did, you'll have no problem at all.
    So you would recommend crap?

    I'm sorry, but my lego sets from 25 years ago can still be put together no problem and for some pieces you still need a hammer to get them off.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    So you would recommend crap?
    But it's MegaBloks with World of Warcraft themed crap!

    Honestly this is why poor quality products never improve. There's much less incentive to improve product if there are enough people giving them money for it.

    I mean honestly... having to resort to super glue to hold it together because of substandard manufacturing? How can people put up with that?

  14. #14
    I have to admit, they look pretty cool. But it's not lego, so it's kind of heresy :P

  15. #15
    Epic! Tokru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The end of the rainbow
    Posts
    1,740
    Why give the license to a no name brand (comparatively) and not to Lego? Did Lego not want it?

    Seriously, never even heard about something like Megabloks before this post.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Why give the license to a no name brand (comparatively) and not to Lego? Did Lego not want it?

    Seriously, never even heard about something like Megabloks before this post.
    I know lego has all sorts of crazy stuff these days, but afaik they never distanced themselves from their 'human' models. I guess making taurens and trolls wouldn't be doable by just putting a paintjob over a human model. oO

  17. #17
    Epic! Tokru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The end of the rainbow
    Posts
    1,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I know lego has all sorts of crazy stuff these days, but afaik they never distanced themselves from their 'human' models. I guess making taurens and trolls wouldn't be doable by just putting a paintjob over a human model. oO
    Since when was Lego about the models and not the buildings?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    As a one time huge Lego fanatic that's just unacceptable to me. It's been many years and I'm surprised that they haven't improved their quality.

    Activision should have went with Lego to "monetize" their asset. A Lego Warcraft game might have been interesting. Hell even the next expansion might fit better in the Lego realm... but that would have possibly been competition for WoW.
    If it's not LEGO, it's not worth buying when it comes to those types of toys but I'm glad they have at least gotten better over the years.

    So the review was good in knowing that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I know lego has all sorts of crazy stuff these days, but afaik they never distanced themselves from their 'human' models. I guess making taurens and trolls wouldn't be doable by just putting a paintjob over a human model. oO
    Not so true anymore.

    The newer LEGOs have created all sorts of creatures. It seem they mold an entirely new head that sits on the same body pin or they create a helmet of sorts that fits on a blank head to give the appearance of monsters or creatures. Same with the lower body as well.
    Last edited by quras; 2012-08-31 at 02:14 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    If it's not LEGO, it's not worth buying when it comes to those types of toys.
    As someone who has collected LEGO my whole life I will have to agree. I purchased two of the MegaBloks Warcraft Sets and was only impressed by the figures. They are very detailed and stay true to the Warcraft characters they represent. However, the brick quality is very poor. The ball joints on Sindragosa's wings are hit and miss. One side is nice and tight and the other side is very loose. The clutch on the bricks is as bad as the ball joints which makes the Frozen Throne very brittle.

    LEGO has lowered some of their brick quality lately due to some outsourcing in China. However, this usually only affects the color quality in a very subtle way. Even on their worst day LEGO is 100% better than Mega.

  20. #20
    World of Warcraft section of Lego Land in Florida = Missed opportunity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •