Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Challenge Mode- class imbalances?

As some of the Challenge Mode "Gold" Achievements are now already accomplished, you can see a clear trend to class stacking or, better said, "must"-haves, while some classes (seemingly) can not compete.

There are two main tactics right now:
    1) Blood Dk Tank + 4 Dps (hybrid healing with elemantal shaman, shadow priest or moonkin)
    2) AoE/Burstclass/Cleave stacking (elemental shaman, demo lock, dk)

Elemental Shaman pulling 120k dps with 463er gear is ridiculous, Stormlash Totem adding up to 15% of total Dmg on a Boss pull is crazy. (part of that is that elemental shaman has 100% crit chance and crazy dps cooldowns, thus performing incredibly better then classes that depend more on gear to enable comfortable (and relyable) playstyles... for example fire mages are totally screwed and rng-dependant in low-gear because of low crit chances... taking a fire mage to a boss with bloodlust/trinket proccs and him not critting cuts his Dps from 90k (very lucky) to 25k (very unlucky), thus failing the whole instance for the group...)

Another Story is CC, crowd control is absolutely out of the picture, except for stuns. Sheep, Sap, Sleep etc... are totally useless because it only slows you down (you do not meet DPS requirements of you single-target nuke 1 trash mob after the next), unless you can entirely skip a trash pack with it. Some instances (GSS requires all trash mops to be killed except for one) are not do-able Dps-wise if you must rely on CC (thus 4 DPS 1 Blood Dk -tactic), while other CC is totally overpowered (Aoe Stun, AoE Silence, AoE Interrupt), allowing you to "tank and spank" up 3 elite packs (8-9 mobs) at once.

I know it seems a bit early to tell and judge, and I am sure there are some tricks for one or the other instance where a specific class might shine/used for bugging, but to get gold on every challenge mode (or at least the most), you'll be required to run the same few overpowered classes until blizzard nerfs them and buffs other comps.

But I guess balancing challenge modes will never happen, so maybe throw away your healer and reroll something else...
    Last edited by Pandacally; 2012-09-29 at 04:41 PM.

You can read some of my previous posts about this and it's basically going to be like arena where some classes will just do better then others, but at least blizzard has covered themselves since challenge modes don't offer more powerful gear and just cosmetics, so they can be skipped completely. With that being said every class should be able to achieve gold but not every class will be used for top times.

Deleted
    LoL you people thought it would be balanced? It's clear that in something like this composition will ALWAYS matter until of course they nerf it to the ground.

When all classes are made similar people complain theres no diversity. When some shine at certain roles then its a whine too because it promotes stacking.

Deleted
    There are a few really strong classes, we've done most on silver but for pushing golds I'll probably be leveling and gearing up my DK tomorrow

Its just Hybrids in DPS specs having to much offhealing, this is a probable already in PVP and its leaking now to challenge modes.

I expect a fix soon.

Deleted
    I called this on March (6 months ago) when it was announced... at the time everyone was casting /soothe on me,
    because "Blizzard will take care to balance it", don't be a negative Nancy etc

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post16013822
    Quote Originally Posted by Drii View Post
    This will flop big time because there is going to be a 'best combo' figured out pretty fast.

Welcome back to "you need x class tank, y class healer, z dps" to have a chance for medals / realm firsts.
    (these will be figured out from beta even)

Unless they homogenize classes AND instances to such an extent where class doesn't matter,
    OR the 'challenge' is not really a challenge both of which are like chopping off the head to cure the headache.
    I still think anyone with an ounce of gray matter would have seen this coming.

Well the DK-tank I could see coming but I'm surprised the monk isn't in there, I thought they would be more OP. Would have thought more DK/DK/x/x/x but double DK doesn't seem to be prevalent.

when blizzard comes right out and says point-blank "yes, some classes will do better in challenge modes"....then why are we shocked about this again?

( I believe it was a GC tweet or maybe it was in the Q&A )

There is no avoiding that. I think that any group of skilled and coordinated individuals, no matter their spec should be able to get gold time if they do it right (and looks like it's actually the case), but it's outright impossible to make it so every spec has a chance to reach top time. Some specs will always be better no matter what you do.

Deleted
    Haven't done challenge mode yet, but can you really pull 3 packs and just aoe them down like normal (heroic) mode?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Haven't done challenge mode yet, but can you really pull 3 packs and just aoe them down like normal (heroic) mode?
    I saw that challenge dungeon run between Blizz devs and Blood Legion and they were aoe down almost everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    No you definitely cant, for two packs if you pull them by accident you need to pop literally all CD's not to die
    Mobs in the Scarlet Monastery instance holy fire for roughly 350k so if they are left free casting you don't stand a chance
    It really depends on the packs, some of them are utterly brutal and one or two mobs need to be CC'ed, others you can just pull and tank

Quote Originally Posted by Ertuu View Post
    when blizzard comes right out and says point-blank "yes, some classes will do better in challenge modes"....then why are we shocked about this again?

( I believe it was a GC tweet or maybe it was in the Q&A )
    That some classes will be beter than others its understandable thats the nature of the beast, but Iam sure they didnt predicted 1 tank 4 hybrids dps

Deleted
    I dont know if you havent played with a monk tank yet, but brewmasters do INSANE aoe damage. With 4+ mobs breaking 100k isnt surprising in any way. As long as you dont get stunned survivability is great. Also brings 2 aoe stuns.

Will the achievements (specifically the transmog gear) be account wide or no? If they are then it's not a big deal you can just level an alt for those challenge mode achievements.

If they aren't then fuck blizzard because I like my paladin and wont switch mains for some cosmetics. I'll still be running challenge modes on my pally either way I guess even if it isn't optimal.
    Last edited by Theholypally; 2012-10-01 at 12:28 AM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Deleted
    No, the phoenixes are character specific so I imagine the challenge mode armor will be the same

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    No, the phoenixes are character specific so I imagine the challenge mode armor will be the same
    Are you the Eddy thats #1 on challenge modes right now for prot warriors?

If so.. I salute you good sir.. also..

I'm coming for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Deleted
    Yes and cheers and Challenge mode accepted! <3

Are you guys serious about ppl doing challenge mode runs in gold just "offhealing" ?

When we tried, our Warrior tank was taking a ridiculous amoutn of dmg trying to pull packs that he can barely handle and we had a dedicated shaman healer going near ooom trying to heal constantly. The dmg output on trash is really crazy.