What should you do Upgrade or Purchase Malevolent

I would think that one should upgrade weapon first, then purchase new malevolent gear. Malev gear costs less per item level than the upgrades, however, weapons directly give DPS or spell power. Also, I may be wrong, but don't weapons have more stats allocated to them than any other slot, which means more stats per point? With that, you should always upgrade the higher cost items first (2250) before lower cost items (1250) because they have a bigger stat budget. Anyone have numbers to prove or disprove this? Also assume Dreadful is already upgraded.

The jump from dreadful to mal will be more than any single upgrade. Assume you are thinking of upgrading your weapon versus buying mal pants. Judging from your posts you play a shadow priest so I will look at those pieces.

Upgraded Dread Pants
    1386 Stam
    751 Int
    616 Haste
    443 Mast
    424 Power
    424 Res

Mal Pants (not upgraded)
    1626 Stam
    924 Int
    723 Haste
    563 Mast
    433 Power
    433 Res

Staff Not Upgraded
    1440 Stam
    960 Int
    640 Crit
    5497 Spell Power
    4770 Power
    640 Res

Staff Upgrade 1
    1494 Stam
    996 Int
    664 Crit
    5705 Spell Power
    4950 Power
    664 Res

Pants Gain:
    240 Stam
    173 Int
    107 Haste
    120 Mast
    9 Power
    9 res

Staff Gain:
    54 Stam
    36 Int
    24 Crit
    208 Spell Power
    180 Power
    24 Res

Seems if you are living okay but having a hard time killing stuff you should spend on the weapon, but other wise the pants. I would just be wary of wasting my conquest on a T1 weapon unless I already had my gear upgraded.

I thought I saw a Blue Post which said that upgrades would carry over when upgrading tiers. Bashiok, said so. I looked it up, but cannot post the link. "They remain. If a piece of gear is used as currency for a new piece of gear, upgrades are preserved."
    It does seem that the cost is higher for the weapon. However, it does carry Spell Power and PVP Power, which are the most valuable stats for a shadow priest.

Staff Upgrade:
    750/54=13 conquest points per stat point stam
    750/36=20 conquest points per stat point int

Pants Upgrade:
    2250/240=9.37 conquest points per stat point stam
    2250/173=13 conquest points per stat point int

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 01:33 PM ----------

I will have to look to see if 1750 and 1250 conquest point cost items are the same.

Buy weapon

Upgrade your weapon

Buy everything else

Upgrade gear

(Weapon has PvP power so you want that maxed out first).

I am having this same debate with myself.
    Buy new pants or upgrade my weapons.

But since PvP Power is the #1 stat, I may now go with weapon.
    I click my spellbook.
    ---BfA Alpha Club---

Well, regardless of what class or spec you are, spell power or weapon damage are higher priority still. And since weapons are the only thing to carry those stats, I would think (and my boss agreed with me) that it would be best to Upgrade Weapon first.