90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 33.33%
  • No

60 66.67%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Repairing Equipment: is it fun?

It is a extremely annoying thing every other game has, I guess people are so used to it they overlook it.
    Do you like to be punished for dying inside a game?
    pro-gun liberal

Take a guess... no, NOT THERE! You and your dirty mind.
    I think 'fun' isn't a good way to describe it. I don't really like to pay anything obviously, but I regard it as a necessary part of the game.

Well there does have to be some downside to dying to discourage the player from playing reckless. If dying wasn't punished, you'd have a problem with players not playing in line with the way the games are designed.

Pit Lord
    Asking if it's fun is almost like missing the point. Of course it's not fun. It's necessary.

The only people who find it fun are masochists.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

I think it's just because back when Diablo was released, it appeared as if items breaking was quite great idea. Not saying diablo did it first, but it was one of the more iconic games to feature something like that. In my opinion this was more because original diablo was rogue game converted to the hack and slash, and among several other features from that game type it included breakable and expendable items.

Now when I saw crap like F3/NV the stuff is completely ridiculous - you fire several bursts with some weapon and it's down 10% durability.

The purpose repairing gear is twofold:
    1) Penalty for dying, to encourage the player to be better and not die.
    2) Gold sink to help reduce inflation.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I wouldn't say it is "fun" but it should be required in games like these. If you get into a fight with a fucking tiger or bear or giant ogre, do you think you will walk away like you are a Calvin Klein or Victoria Secret model? Hell no, you will more then likely need to go to a tailor. So yes, I like being punished. It makes me stop and think before I pull another group or jump off a cliff or something.

Amazing sig compliments of Alyajna!

Dreadlord
    I like not having any penalty (except the loss of progress since the last checkpoint) for dying, but there are worse things than having to repair equipment every now and then. But no, it's not fun, nor is it meant to be really

Well, no.

But without these small things there is not much fun. Small things build a mmorpg.

No but it is a necessary money sink and somewhat of a penalty for dying.

The people who find it fun, can you provide any reason why it is fun?
    pro-gun liberal

Quote Originally Posted by Galil ACE View Post
    When you remove these small things, eventually it will come down to "start game, kill, enjoy win/loss, turn off game".

It would be like not running to get/return quests once you are leveling, or not moving in a dungeon. Sure you do the same thing basically, but its still the small thing that make the game more real, less arcade-ish.

EDIT: Im not really sure its a valid reason, but you get it.

I don't find it fun, but I do think it's necessary for immersion and accountability.

It is a extremely annoying thing every other game has, I guess people are so used to it they overlook it.
    Do you like to be punished for dying inside a game?

So you should be able to wear your armor/weapon without any wear and tear at all? Also repairs gets rid of gold in the system and teaches you that maybe what you were doing wrong wasn't right and you shouldn't keep doing it.

If you don't like repairs as much then they could go to a system I've seen in some games where you lose X% of XP to where you eventually delevel. Would love to hear in the middle of a raid after a wipe someone says "Um...guys I'm 89 again and can't wear my armor"

I prefer repairing to losing experience. In l2 I had to wait sometimes for hours for a bishop/EE to come and rez me, else I would lose 4% exp (tens of hours of mob grinding).

Quote Originally Posted by tseven View Post
    When you remove these small things, eventually it will come down to "start game, kill, enjoy win/loss, turn off game".

It would be like not running to get/return quests once you are leveling, or not moving in a dungeon. Sure you do the same thing basically, but its still the small thing that make the game more real, less arcade-ish.

EDIT: Im not really sure its a valid reason, but you get it.
    I guess making you stop fighting, and finding a vendor to repair is a good excuse to stop the monotony, and rest for a while, but does it really do anything when you are doing end-game?

I understand it as a unnecessary evil, in-game economics and all, but it itself is not fun. Yes, its better than experience penalties.

I was asking this because many MOBAs and PVP only games, not to mention, FPS do not have this, and it never gets in the way of anything.
    Repairing would only get in the way of regular PVP in MMORPGs, shouldn't dying be enough of a penalty as it is in PVE games?
    pro-gun liberal

I think most games have this option of repairing so you can spend your money on repairs and delay buying other itens, like weapons and any type of gear really, so you take more time to play the game. That's my view on the repair system.

For example, if WoW didn't had a repair option I would never be doing quests for gold or any quests for anything else at all, since I don't like to grind, so the repair system is just there to make you play a little longer really.

I think repairing is fun because I like the sound it makes. Also if any of my gear drops below 100% at any point outside of an instance, I must run and find a vendor that offers repairs immediately, to hear that noise. Then I know all is well in the world. After I open and close my bags 15 times in a row.

I kind of liked it in Skyward Sword, which isn't really an RPG like most games that have it. I felt it was pretty neat and added a slight difficulty in having to manage how much you use your shield.

Its not "fun" but its one of the best gold sinks and makes gold slightly relevant to some players and play styles.

For that reason I dont see it going anywhere.
    85: Paladin | Druid | Shaman | Warlock | Death Knight | Mage | Hunter | Rogue | Warrior | Priest