Poll: Should it be done?

Deleted

[IDEA] Scale old zones' content! Would rid us of linearity!

Do you think that all content of old zones could and should be scaled? I.e., you'd get the same amount of experience in any zone (apart from starter areas and the newest high level zones), and the mobs scale to your level to provide a consistent challenge.

This would mean that Blizzard could put even more focus on the narrative, something they love doing these days, and less on creating a 'correct' leveling route. Story-branches in one zone could instantly lead to something else halfway across the globe, and incorporate all kinds of material in their plots without the constraints of having to use the traditionally correct zone next. It also means no more linear leveling of alts. So let's say you're leveling a human, that would mean you could do it in the following order for instance: Elwynn -> Arathi Highlands -> Nagrand -> Un'goro -> Southern Barrens -> Eastern Plaguelands -> Westfall -> Shadowmoon Valley -> Hyjal -> Grizzly Hills -> and so on.

You would choose your path and your experience; unused zones that you never see nowadays (like the latter zones Outland and Northrend and several low level zones); and every alt would be more fun to level up. I may throw up if I have to go Blasted Lands -> Hellfire Peninsula etc. one more time.

What say ye?
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2012-09-30 at 10:43 AM.

Personally, I'd rather quest through the revamped Cata-altered Azeroth scaled up and complete zones I didn't finish on account of leveling out of them then have to waste my time going to Outland and Northrend again. The zones are out of time, boring, and drag on forever.

What's so bad about linearity? I mostly agree with the Blues here: You shouldn't just make everything scale and with that remove a big part of leveling progression from the game. People (especially new players) won't feel compelled to level up to max level if they don't feel like they're growing stronger and have some sort of path to follow.

This would be similar to simply having level 2 as max level and every zone being tuned the same. Doesn't sound fun to me. It would be nice to see the linearity be loosened up a bit, especially concerning the later zones of an expansion, like you mentioned (Netherstorm, Icecrown etc.).

I don't like how so many people seem obsessed by the idea that linearity is a horrible concept and all games should get rid of it.

I guess this idea came from GW2? :P

Where if you enter a lower zone as a high level, your player level, health, and damage gets scaled down?
    Its a good idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    I guess this idea came from GW2? :P

Where if you enter a lower zone as a high level, your player level, health, and damage gets scaled down?
    Its a good idea though!
    Only scaling down is a much better idea than scaling to whatever level is required (so potentially scaling up like mentioned in the OP).

10+ Year Old Account
    Without an option to disable it im going to say NO.

If i want to level up a prof, i dont want to be forced to be scaled down and have to also deal with mobs which otherwise don't even aggro.
    The only place like zarhym suggested a while ago where i would like it really is in dungeons/raids.

Quote Originally Posted by schippie View Post
    The only place like zarhym suggested a while ago where i would like it really is in dungeons/raids.
    Yes, I would really like that too. I would especially like to do the BC heroics again and maybe Stratholme/UBRS.

But then we would face the problem that there would be an absolute shitton of content to do. Which would lead to too much content being spread out too thin over too few players who want to run a specific dungeon. There would have to be some sort of dungeon rotation like in Wotlk with the daily quests you got in front of the Violet Hold. Otherwise you might have to look forever to find a group for a specific dungeon.