1. #1

    New computer for 25 man raiding.

    Hi,

    I am thinking of buying a new computer. I mostly play WoW and Dota 2. I am posting this thread to see if anyone has any comments on the build I put together, anything I can change to get better performance for same price etc. I have an Corsair Force SSD 120GB already so that is already fixed.

    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    Corsair 16GB (4x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Corsair TX 650W M 80+ Bronze Modular
    Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
    ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2048MB DirectCUII TOP

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,040
    That is a rock solid gaming build but the GPU is quite overkill for WoW/Dota. If you're looking to futureproof those games for several years (or play more GPU-heavy gmes) then that build is good to go.
    If not then you could comfortably drop down to a 7850/7870/660 Ti and be fine.

  3. #3
    Fluffy Kitten Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,228
    Overall looks good. Some pointers:
    - 16GB is pure overkill; 2x4GB is enough. You can always upgrade later if 8GB isn't sufficient.
    - PSU is overkill; system will use less than 400W full load.
    - GPU really is overkill for the games listed. I would buy something like a 7850 now and save the rest of the money. If you find yourself wanting more GPU power in a year or two - get a better GPU then or go Crossfire.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Overall looks good. Some pointers:
    - 16GB is pure overkill; 2x4GB is enough. You can always upgrade later if 8GB isn't sufficient.
    - PSU is overkill; system will use less than 400W full load.
    - GPU really is overkill for the games listed. I would buy something like a 7850 now and save the rest of the money. If you find yourself wanting more GPU power in a year or two - get a better GPU then or go Crossfire.
    I am not quite sure if a 7850 will do for 25 man raiding. I also will try to Fraps and I guess Fraps has some reliance on the GPU. Example:

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/C...lQueen/23.html

    7850 only got like 70 FPS@1080p in their test and I am quite sure that is not in a raid environment (hard to replicate etc.). Granted, World of Warcraft is a more CPU intensive game, it also depends on GPU because if we see the chart, 670 almost doubles the FPS of the 7850 in WoW. With Fraps on, I really think my FPS will be really low with a lower end card. However, I am not that familiar with how GPUs affect WoW so I might be very wrong here.

    The extra RAM is just because it is so cheap anyway so I why not^^.

  5. #5
    If your buying all that you might as well get an aftermarket CPU cooler going with the 3570k
    CPU:i5 [email protected] GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Profigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    If your buying all that you might as well get an aftermarket CPU cooler going with the 3570k
    Yeah, thinknig of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

  7. #7
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit mi
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I am not quite sure if a 7850 will do for 25 man raiding. I also will try to Fraps and I guess Fraps has some reliance on the GPU. Example:

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/C...lQueen/23.html

    7850 only got like 70 FPS@1080p in their test and I am quite sure that is not in a raid environment (hard to replicate etc.). Granted, World of Warcraft is a more CPU intensive game, it also depends on GPU because if we see the chart, 670 almost doubles the FPS of the 7850 in WoW. With Fraps on, I really think my FPS will be really low with a lower end card. However, I am not that familiar with how GPUs affect WoW so I might be very wrong here.

    The extra RAM is just because it is so cheap anyway so I why not^^.
    "only" 70 fps is pretty damn good, but take note of the CPU clock @ 4.7 ghz which is higher then most people would use their CPU for regular day to day. with your ivy bridge, it will take alot more work getting to 4.7 and at stock clocks the difference between the two will be maybe 10% on a good day, dont have anything to back that up but its my educated(slightly:P) assumption.
    Intel [email protected]
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    "only" 70 fps is pretty damn good, but take note of the CPU clock @ 4.7 ghz which is higher then most people would use their CPU for regular day to day. with your ivy bridge, it will take alot more work getting to 4.7 and at stock clocks the difference between the two will be maybe 10% on a good day, dont have anything to back that up but its my educated(slightly:P) assumption.
    That's 70 during non raid environment and without Fraps turned on.

  9. #9
    Fluffy Kitten Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,228
    Well, a 7850 will be plenty for WoW. You could PM someone with a higher end setup and ask them about their framerate. I believe Cyanotical reported drops to even 40 fps and he runs quad SLI GTX 690s.

    Fraps needs a stand-alone HDD to handle the datastream. It will take a chunk of your CPU for encoding, but with a 2500k/3570k or alike it won't be a noticable chunk in a game like WoW. GPU will matter but the impact will be minimal. I have recorded 1080p footage with a 2500k and 560 Ti without issues. Record to 30 fps and the footage should turn out just fine.

  10. #10
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    181
    Very similar to the build that I have minus ssd, I would go with an evga 670 superclocked or ftw edition though because I like the brand a lot.

  11. #11
    Drops to around 40fps happens in cities no matter what gpu you have. It's due to high traffic etc. and as long as you are covered on the gpu side it's all down to your CPU what kind of fps you will be getting. As far as I know a CPU that doesn't drop to around 40ish fps in cities has not been made yet. This might even be because of WoW's engine, meaning no CPU will ever be "enough" unless they fix it and then you will probably make due with an old athlon processor..... drunk man rambles too much

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •