Thread: New PC

Deleted

New PC

I'll be buying a new rig in 3 weeks, >MAX< budget 6000 eur, what components should I buy?

- Got no hdd's nor anything, need everything. I was thinking of getting a single GTX690, otherwise I'm sort-of clueless as for what to go for.
    - I'd also appriciate if any components/specific builds suggested would be provided with a link to a place to buy it from, that ships to finland.
    Last edited by mmoc8ecf0a3307; 2012-09-30 at 03:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Need monitors? Keyboard?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Could use a monitor, yes, something in the 300-400eur price range tops, no need for keyboard/mouse nor speakers/microphone, any of that sort-of stuff.

- Basicly I'm just looking for maximum performance with a single monitor.

Deleted
    One question: What are your temps on idle and stress mode??

Deleted
    I feel like this is a troll thread, but I'll bite...

Do you really want to spend €6000 on a (presumably) gaming PC in the era of crappy console ports? Or did you mean €600...? Do you plan to do anything other than gaming on it? Do you need any professional features like maybe a top-end 10-bit wide gamut monitor and quadro card for photo work, etc.? Or maybe you're an audiophile and need to include some quality components in that budget?

Well, it's not for me to judge (maybe you have a source of unlimited income or something ), if you want to spend that much on gaming PC, just buy everything that's expensive... Even the top of the line socket 2011 platform with SSD RAID and Quad-SLI will fit in that budget. Or get an Eyefinity setup if you like.

If you need it for work, you need to say what kind of work you plan to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vault View Post
    I feel like this is a troll thread, but I'll bite...

Do you really want to spend €6000 on a (presumably) gaming PC in the era of crappy console ports? Or did you mean €600...? Do you plan to do anything other than gaming on it? Do you need any professional features like maybe a top-end 10-bit wide gamut monitor and quadro card for photo work, etc.? Or maybe you're an audiophile and need to include some quality components in that budget?

Well, it's not for me to judge (maybe you have a source of unlimited income or something ), if you want to spend that much on gaming PC, just buy everything that's expensive... Even the top of the line socket 2011 platform with SSD RAID and Quad-SLI will fit in that budget. Or get an Eyefinity setup if you like.

If you need it for work, you need to say what kind of work you plan to do.
    No, I assure you this Is not a troll thread, I stated my maximum budget, I want a computer for gaming, possibly streaming, and yes, I did mean 6000, not 600 or anything along those lines, I do not need any real professional features, I just want a rig that runs anything that comes out for the next couple years, is silent and pretty much can pull off anything I throw at it.

I'm fairly clueless as for when it cames to top notch stuff, This is the thread where you can post the setup you have wet dreams about, and I'll buy it., Assuming your wet dream setup holds a gtx690 in it.
    Last edited by mmoc8ecf0a3307; 2012-09-30 at 03:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you give me a link to a finnish hardware shop?

Then I can work on something
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Well, then, if you're looking for a raw performance with a single monitor, it's pretty much overkill. You won't notice any difference between this and, say, a €2000 set-up. Even if you buy a rig that can push like 500 fps in most demanding games, you will never notice it with current LCD technology, as you're effectively limited to 60 or 120 frames per second.

It's not that I don't want to help you, don't get me wrong, but seriously, it's very hard to come up with a €6000 set-up for a single-monitor gaming station. You can, of course, go for things like dual Xeon workstation base and dual 690s just for the hell of it, but that will be paying a lot for exactly zero real-world performance increase.

And yes, your €6000 rig will become outdated anyway. There will be new components down the line that can do the same thing for half the price and half the power draw, with new features, DirectX compatibility levels, etc. that yours will not have.

edit:
    If you're looking for that much performance AND silence, then you need a custom made water cooling set-up, most probably dual-loop, and everything that comes with it (including actually learning how it all works and how to maintain it). No way around it.
    Last edited by mmoc6acb16370b; 2012-09-30 at 05:06 PM.

Deleted
    ./shrug, oh well, watercooling might pretty much be the only option indeed I guess, gotta look into it a bit more. - @inux94, that's pretty much the thing, I don't know many, www.verkkokauppa.com is where I bought parts for my last rig, granted, my budget was 10% of what it now is back then...

15+ Year Old Account
    www.jimms.fi is a great one with very competive pricing. Although delivery times with some items can be devastating sometimes. www.verkkokauppa.com is good one as well but doesn't have as wide variety of items.

I can't see what we are arguing about here. Surely you don't have to spend all of that 6000€ budget just for the sake of spending. I'd personally use 3 000€ for the computer itself and the rest for peripherals. Quality screen, speakers, keyboard, mouse, headphones, maybe a chair..

I would recommend something like this:
    - Intel i7 3770k 328,-
    - Asrock z77 extreme6 195,-
    - 2x Nvidia GTX 680 in SLI ~1100,-
    - 2x Samsung 830 256GB SSD's in RAID 0 or one 512GB drive 566,-
    - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (If you need more storage, RAID5 with 3x 1TB drives) 330,- (110 each x 3 for RAID solution)
    - Seasonic 860W Platinum 263,-
    - Fractal Design Define R4 with custom fans (6x Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition) 190,- (99 for case and 3 x 30 for fans)
    - Corsair H100 with custom fans (4x Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition) 170,- (110 for cooler and 2 x 30 for fans)
    - Windows 7 Professional 146,-

Total = 3 287,-

That is choosing mostly the best quality consumer level components and realistically the most powerful processor and graphics cards. You could buy something for 2 000€ and notice no difference with single monitor outside the benchmarks whatsoever. You could also spend more than this just for the sake of spending it all getting a more expensive processor, 2x gtx 690's in SLI, more expensive motherboard, more storage.. Would cost you ~1700€ more just for CPU and GPU's but isn't going to help you at all in gaming.

Edit: Also, that is the most quiet air cooling setup I can come up with those specs. If you want more silence you will have to downgrade graphics cards. Dropping to single gtx 680 should already reduce the noice.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2012-09-30 at 05:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he's going single monitor why not 2560x1600?

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    If he's going single monitor why not 2560x1600?
    It comes down to personal preference I think, for many people playing games on 30" monitor is not that comfortable. It's like having a huge telly right in front of your face. Yes, 30" 16:10 monitors are some of the best in terms of quality, but they have their share of problems as far as gaming goes, most notably input lag, wider colour gamut and not optimal proportions (16:10 is golden for work, but not for games, as it limits your FoV).

27" 2560 x 1440 would be optimal I guess, or, for 120 Hz there's not much choice beyond 23" 1920 x 1080 (other than those Korean "overclockable" monitors). But again, it's up to OP's preferences.
    Last edited by mmoc6acb16370b; 2012-09-30 at 06:45 PM.

Deleted
    Thank you for all your responses so far guys! putting up a shopping list and posting my new setup here in roughly 3 weeks.

- And I don't think I've got any actual use for anything higher than 1920x1080 as it is.
    Last edited by mmoc8ecf0a3307; 2012-10-01 at 09:11 AM.